3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I hate electroincs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I hate electroincs.

Ahh where to start, power door locks don't work, even after a new (junkyard) door lock timer switch, brights not working, busted dang power antenna, ect, ect.

Ok enough b!tching, is there still anyone here that does electronic repair? I'm apparently solder-retarded.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM

if your talking about what i think your talking about with the door locks, i have the same problem. when i hit the lock button, or unlock my car with the key, (turn it two times to the right) sometimes all the doors will lock and unlock, and sometimes they wont.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

This may have to do with the door lock actuator, a small whitish box in the bottom rear of the front doors. If it has problems with contacts, it tends to make the door locks "bounce" up and down. I fixed it (mostly) by taking it apart and cleaning and lubing the contacts, but I took many pictures because it's complicated with many parts ( and not explained in the FSM).
Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Door lock issue could also be caused by a faulty master switch. I've successfully repaired these by tracking down and bridging a gap in the circuitry. Probably easier to just find a replacement to test if you aren't experienced with soldering as you say. Could easially be what 92 Max says as well. Just depends on the symptoms. Brights not coming on is most likely your switch (parking, headlights, signals), antenna is nothing major, just replace the unit. 50% of our cars have a bad power antennna (old poll).

Your electrical problems could be much worse, (constant battery drains, bad wiring, shorts, blowing fuses). Power locks, antenna and brights are not really necessities. I will agree though, electrical issues can be a major PITA and hard to track down.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Follow up, fixed the brights, turns out I screwed up way back when... well anyway it's fixed, the locks are definately the door lock timer. Is Matt B. still doing electronic repair?? I emailed him but no response.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM

How about taking a few picture's of the circuit board and getting some opinions 1st. As for Matt he's unpacking I think.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:00 AM

I did the door lock timer on my car not too long ago. It isn't a terribly difficult repair. If you look carefully at the side of the board with the solder joints, there are a hand full that are larger than the rest. These are the important ones. I used a small pencil type soldering iron (30 watt I believe) and and ice pick. I heated the joint up with the soldering iron until the solder melted, then just scraped around the contact area on the circuit board, and the component with the ice pick, helping the solder to make a good connection, then take the iron away, and let it cool. When I was done, I hooked the board back up temporarily just to make sure it was working, before I snapped it back into the plastic case, and mounted it back in the car.

My soldering skills aren't the best either. I do well enough on big stuff, but I'm not that good working on circuit boards, but this really isn't a terribly difficult repair. Since you have two of the timers now, I say take a stab at repairing one of them, and if that fails, you can always get someone else to work on the other one for you.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks Tquick, what the heck I might as well try!