3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

dead cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM

dead cylinder

good coil, spark plug and injector. when coil is unplugged makes no difference. when injector is unplugged makes no differnce. not throwing any codes
Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How did you determine the injector is good/not leaking?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

did you do a compression check?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
How did you determine the injector is good/not leaking?
with the best way i knew. got a new one

Originally Posted by internetautomar
did you do a compression check?
no. i dont have gauge
Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM

i now know how to install the injectors after the problems with them last set
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

with the best way i knew. got a new one
Does this go for the coil as well? Swap it with one from another cylinder to check.

If its still bad, check wiring, maybe there just is no signal going to the coil or the injector.

Do you have the FSM? There is a procedure in there (p399, EF & EC-221) which shows how to manually trigger the injectors using the CPS, so when you do this and hear each one click that means it and the wiring are working.

You can check the coil/plug. Take them out, with both connected and the harness hooked up, place end of the spark plug against an engine ground, then have someone crank the engine while you look to see if it sparks. This is described on that same page. I would assume you unplug the other coils and injectors while doing this, but it doesnt state this explicitly.

What I’m “driving” at here is don’t assume that something just works because its new, try to check it in every way possible, then double check and cross check a different way to make sure.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM

i check the coil and pug by putting them in another cylinder. i have the fsm so ill check wiring later. now at work
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 AM

with the volt meter there is continuity between + and - but e gets nothing i tested this b-4 i posted
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mooze
i check the coil and pug by putting them in another cylinder. i have the fsm so ill check wiring later. now at work
IIRC those rings on the plug are supposed to get squished and fit tight when you first put in, so if you keep moving it around then it might not seal tight anymore. I may be wrong on this so someone else please comment.

with the volt meter there is continuity between + and - but e gets nothing i tested this b-4 i posted
This is on the coil harness or the coil? You are supposed to measure resistance on the coil, not continuity. I dont think it is a large ohm value, so the volt meter could be showing that as having continuity depending on how its set.

In my experience with coils, they either work right or dont work at all. Swapping two and then pluging/unpluging them while the engine is running is enough to diagnose the coil as an issue. When I measured the resistence on mine they were all too high, but all had the same value and a few were very new... so sometimes the equipment can lie due to tollerences/quality.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Take the plug out, ground it to the block away from any oil or gas, and crank the engine and see if you do have a spark. Hold with insulated pliers or gloves (high voltage). If you've got a spark then it's compression or injector. If not then follow the electrical signal back up the line (Plug, coil, connector, wire etc.) until you find out where it's not getting through.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
This is on the coil harness or the coil? You are supposed to measure resistance on the coil, not continuity. I dont think it is a large ohm value, so the volt meter could be showing that as having continuity depending on how its set.

In my experience with coils, they either work right or dont work at all. Swapping two and then pluging/unpluging them while the engine is running is enough to diagnose the coil as an issue. When I measured the resistence on mine they were all too high, but all had the same value and a few were very new... so sometimes the equipment can lie due to tollerences/quality.
coil harness. coil is brand new from dealership. plug has only been moved once
Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 AM

After you shut the car up, take the plug out of the dead cylinder, is the plug wet or dry?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 PM

ok. so this is the deal. something is seriously wrong under cover. it made this loud tapping today by the cylinder but didnt misfire. when the tapping is gone cylinder is dead again.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM

ok. so this is the deal. something is seriously wrong under cover. it made this loud tapping today by the cylinder but didnt misfire. when the tapping is gone cylinder is dead again.
Time to pull the valve cover. May be a broken valve spring or Stuck valve.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 PM

so what am i looking for?