3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Grinding/Grating noise from front tire after putting axel in

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Grinding/Grating noise from front tire after putting axel in

I had a torn cv boot and removed the axel to replace it. After I was done I put a new c clip on it and tried to tap the axel back in place. It would not go in no matter how much pounding of a 3 lb sledge hammer I did. Finally I took off the new c clip and put on the old one and it went right in.

At least I think it went right in. The axel went in the exact same distance as it did with the new c clip, but it held in place after I put the old ring back on and I couldn't just slide it out (though I could pull on it with a little force and it would pop out).

I also replaced both outer tie rods. Oh, and replaced the transmission fluid after it all dumped out when the axel came out.

After I was done I tried driving and there is a horrible grating sort of noise coming from the area of my left front tire. It's like a crowbar on a metal marraca. It's most pronounced when I'm turning left and in gear, but I hear it when I'm drving straight as well, even when I'm not in gear. It follows the speed of the wheels, grind grind grind grind.

Did I maybe screw up the axel (I didn't notice anything wrong with it). Was I supposed to line the axel up a certain way maybe? Maybe I didn't get the axel all the way in, but then wouldn't the tranny fluid dump out after I refilled it? I doubt the problem has anything to do with the outer tie rods.

Oh, also, when I was knocking the cv joint off the axel, I used a piece of wood and the sledge and some splinters got into the ball bearings. I washed it out with brake cleaner and re-lubed it when I put the boot on. I got most everything out of the cv joint except for a few really small splinters wedged by the ball bearings. Could this be the problem?

PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
It's like a crowbar on a metal marraca.

Could be the axle is rubbing against the splash guard. If you can't find the source of the sound, jack the front end up and rotate the wheels and try and track it down. I wouldn't get too worried, but trying to force the axle in with a sledgehammer can't be good. It should go in easy and snap into place.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

After reading the title and not reading a SINGLE word of what you typed. I'm gonna have to say, take the axle back out and make sure it goes IN. and that you've got clearance wherever it passes through. Make sure that the ends of the axle arent stripped. good luck with your axle prob
Old 08-11-2007, 12:46 AM

does it sound like it's dragging something when you drive slow? my car makes that sound
Old 08-11-2007, 01:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like your d-side wheel bearing is toast.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I guess it could be, but I wasn't having any problems at all before I took out and put back in the axle (and did the other stuff mentioned above). Why would the wheel bearing all of a sudden go out?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by Hectic

Could be the axle is rubbing against the splash guard. If you can't find the source of the sound, jack the front end up and rotate the wheels and try and track it down. I wouldn't get too worried, but trying to force the axle in with a sledgehammer can't be good. It should go in easy and snap into place.
I can feel it in the steering wheel, so I don't think it's something like a splash guard.

Should I just get a new axle and replace the whole thing? I'm temped to do this because I want to get places today. Would replacing the axle for sure solve the problem?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by bigdanny
does it sound like it's dragging something when you drive slow? my car makes that sound
No, it's not a dragging sound because it isn't constant. It's like grind grind grind grind. I hear a grind with every rotation of the wheel. It kind of makes me think it's the cv joint?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

I figured it out! It is a the speed sensor rubbing up against the ridged metal piece on the cv joint assembly, now I have to figure out how to fix it. The ridged metal piece (sorry, I don't know what it's called), seems to move side to side if I turn the axel really hard (with my hand). It only moves about 1 mm, but because the speed sensor is so close, it's rubbing it. Do I maybe need to screw in my axel nut more to better secure the axle?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

Sounds like it to me tooooo
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

FIXED! I hadn't tightened the axel nut enough (silly me) so the axel was a bit loose side to side and was rubbing up against the abs speed sensor. I tightened down the nut and it's perfect now! Thanks all.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to know you got it done
Old 08-11-2007, 03:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
FIXED! I hadn't tightened the axel nut enough (silly me) so the axel was a bit loose side to side and was rubbing up against the abs speed sensor. I tightened down the nut and it's perfect now! Thanks all.

Hence the bad wheel bearing sound..