3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fighting with the max

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Max In Process

fighting with the max

well i know that my struts have been going since i got the car but now the steering wheel is on a leftward tilt and when i full throttle from a stop or switch to a lower gear to gain speed the steering wheel will straighten out but as soon as it kicks out itll jump right and the steering wheel will go left
problem two
now when i go to brake and turn i hear and feel this loud clank on the passenger side
the ride has been getting rougher day by day in the max and its making me sad i know from research ill need about 1000 for a good set up but does it sound like theres anything else
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 PM
mod or sell?

bad lower control arm bushing or 2 or 3 or 4
Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
bad lower control arm bushing or 2 or 3 or 4
can this also cause a squeakysqueaky when i roll into a turn at, say, 20mph and make a fairly rapid 360 degree turn of the steering wheel to the left?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:56 PM
STFU n00b!

could be a bad wheel bearing as well...

if you don't know what to look for, get it to a competent shop ASAP. the sooner you take care of the problem, the less money it will cost you to get it fixed.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
can this also cause a squeakysqueaky when i roll into a turn at, say, 20mph and make a fairly rapid 360 degree turn of the steering wheel to the left?
my shot bushings never made noise. if they did it would have been a clunk (metal on metal) squeaking to me is more of a bearing nose like matt said.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
my shot bushings never made noise. if they did it would have been a clunk (metal on metal) squeaking to me is more of a bearing nose like matt said.
hmm. well i don't see my bearings as bad.. it could be some other problem, but very rarely it will squeak when i turn sharply.. i'm not saying for sure that the bearings are good, so you may be right
Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 PM

Check Your Cv Boots
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxboy325
Check Your Cv Boots
hm.. i actually suspsect my nearly-disintegrated swaybar bushing, allowing the metal shaft to rub up and down against the hole when that corner of the car is quickly loaded or unloaded. it also did it going over a big dip in the road. CV boots are fine, i looked at them recently. got a torn tie rod boot, on the other side of the car.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0066.jpg
Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 PM

I have to agree that your control arm bushings are bad. Many times the power steering oil is leaking and that makes the bushings disinegrate. I don't think the sway bar bushing would cause a squeek, it would probably be a clunk.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have to agree that your control arm bushings are bad. Many times the power steering oil is leaking and that makes the bushings disinegrate. I don't think the sway bar bushing would cause a squeek, it would probably be a clunk.
got pics of those too. focus sucks, but it was dark outside and was using only the red autofocus assist light...

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0067.jpg
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0068.jpg
Old 08-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tigga_tha_don
well i know that my struts have been going since i got the car but now the steering wheel is on a leftward tilt and when i full throttle from a stop or switch to a lower gear to gain speed the steering wheel will straighten out but as soon as it kicks out itll jump right and the steering wheel will go left
problem two
now when i go to brake and turn i hear and feel this loud clank on the passenger side
the ride has been getting rougher day by day in the max and its making me sad i know from research ill need about 1000 for a good set up but does it sound like theres anything else
mine is doing the exact same thing and i assume it is the passenger side front control arm bushing. trouble is that it is less than less than two years old. i think that it must have been leaking ps fluid. i just picked up some energy suspension bushings that i am going to put on and i was wondering how they hold up to leaking fluid compared to the stock rubber ones. anybody know? btw i did fix the ps line and replaced pump but i have an oil leak that won't get fixed till i replace/rebuild the engine.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 PM

In the first photo (img 67) the rubber looks swollen and puffy. In the 2nd photo (img 68) you can see a drop of red ATF oil on the bolt head. But I have to say that the bushing looks better than my car was before I did mine.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DennisMik
In the first photo (img 67) the rubber looks swollen and puffy. In the 2nd photo (img 68) you can see a drop of red ATF oil on the bolt head. But I have to say that the bushing looks better than my car was before I did mine.
well i pulled a piece off the img 68 bushing already. there was a squishy piece just hanging down, and i ripped it off. So it would have looked like img67 also.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by sublunary
mine is doing the exact same thing and i assume it is the passenger side front control arm bushing. trouble is that it is less than less than two years old. i think that it must have been leaking ps fluid. i just picked up some energy suspension bushings that i am going to put on and i was wondering how they hold up to leaking fluid compared to the stock rubber ones. anybody know? btw i did fix the ps line and replaced pump but i have an oil leak that won't get fixed till i replace/rebuild the engine.

The ES poly bushings are not effected by fluids(p/s fluid/oil/etc.),so you will be fine with them until you fix the oil leak.