3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 04:24 PM

i was just thinking about this. its been said that if a vg was to get turbo'd it would only be able to handle 6psi of boost because of the engine's compression ratio. i read a while back about the 830hp twin turbo hennesy viper (motor trend) and i believe that the article said that the engines compression ratio was changed. how is this possibly done? would it be a very expensive procedure? i was wondering if the price of having that done would outway the hassle of a motor swap. any thoughts on this?
Old 07-23-2001, 04:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think...

by using custom pistions (ie- JE, Arias, Crower). as for the the question about cost, it probably falls in the usual "engine upgrade" category.....a lot of money since you have to break it down to the block to do all that!

Originally posted by thebull
i was just thinking about this. its been said that if a vg was to get turbo'd it would only be able to handle 6psi of boost because of the engine's compression ratio. i read a while back about the 830hp twin turbo hennesy viper (motor trend) and i believe that the article said that the engines compression ratio was changed. how is this possibly done? would it be a very expensive procedure? i was wondering if the price of having that done would outway the hassle of a motor swap. any thoughts on this?
Old 07-24-2001, 07:08 AM

do those companies make pistons for us?
Old 07-24-2001, 08:24 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Technically yes....

but as usual we have to send ours in to be custom "built" unlike the Honda boys who can get a boxed set from their local speed shop! I've also heard that Z32 pistons can be used in VG and VE engine build ups, since they are already good up to 5-600hp I think you can score a good condition used set for probably less than the Crower or JE sets. Check the Crower and JE pages, they will have the prices and everything-->

Crower--> http://www.crower.com/import-other.shtml

JE--> http://jepistons.com/cgi-win/jecat.e...est&cat=010200

do those companies make pistons for us?
Old 07-24-2001, 03:44 PM

thanks alot! i dont think i can get these right now cuz im pretty much broke, but ill be in some money soon. i plan on building up the vg engine. possibly add a turbo. thanks again. if you know of any info on building a custom turbo for the vg, i would really apreciate it. ive seen pics of the one at maxima day, but that was it. did he pretty much copy the vget design or is it different. i havent looked into it all that much yet, but i need to know where to start.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Personally....

I'm looking into an NA rebuild myself for summer project in 2002...nothing major though, just some cams and **** like that and some trans work and finally some NOS. but as for the turbo, the best people to talk to are Kaleb, Skymax, Maximamike, Nismo87 and Czar(eventhough he has a VE) and the rest of the "turbo geniuses" ......

thanks alot! i dont think i can get these right now cuz im pretty much broke, but ill be in some money soon. i plan on building up the vg engine. possibly add a turbo. thanks again. if you know of any info on building a custom turbo for the vg, i would really apreciate it. ive seen pics of the one at maxima day, but that was it. did he pretty much copy the vget design or is it different. i havent looked into it all that much yet, but i need to know where to start.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:30 PM

I have just finished talking to a friend of mine and a mechanic, we were also discussing this method, and how to change the compression ratio, you would have to change the psitons and port out the heads. Couple of other things have to be done too. But where am at its about $150 to port out per cylender. and pistons will probably run anywhere from $400-$800 never got into it so I dont know the exact prices.
Old 07-25-2001, 02:49 PM

You could always use VG30ET pistons, they lower the compression from the stock 9:1 to 8.5:1
Old 07-25-2001, 02:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

There many ways to reduce compression. This list is from easy to hard.
1) Use thicker head gaskets. Probably not available though.
2) Pistons w/ higher hole for the rod.
3) Pistons w/ dish in it.
4) Shorter rods
5) Crank w/ a shorter throw.
6) Heads w/ the combustion chamber enlarged.(not ported intake or exhaust ports)
7) Any combination of the above or a combination of longer rods but more severly dished pistons or longer crank throw w/ shorter rods.(all depending on the length, dish etc....)

These are expensive mods. Not for the faint of heart or shallow of wallet.

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

I have just finished talking to a friend of mine and a mechanic, we were also discussing this method, and how to change the compression ratio, you would have to change the psitons and port out the heads. Couple of other things have to be done too. But where am at its about $150 to port out per cylender. and pistons will probably run anywhere from $400-$800 never got into it so I dont know the exact prices.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
There many ways to reduce compression. This list is from easy to hard.
1) Use thicker head gaskets. Probably not available though.
2) Pistons w/ higher hole for the rod.
3) Pistons w/ dish in it.
4) Shorter rods
5) Crank w/ a shorter throw.
6) Heads w/ the combustion chamber enlarged.(not ported intake or exhaust ports)
7) Any combination of the above or a combination of longer rods but more severly dished pistons or longer crank throw w/ shorter rods.(all depending on the length, dish etc....)

These are expensive mods. Not for the faint of heart or shallow of wallet.

I was thinking of getting all of that done at first doing an N/A tune, but its really not worth the money. u looking anywhere from $500-$5000. For that kind of money plus selling your maxima. You can get a 91-92 300ZX twin turbo. Which will have much more power then our maximas ever will. And with another couple of $$$$$ u can make that thing stage 17 785hp car. I saw a nice 91' 300Zx Twin-T. for $10,000 in nearly good condition. I was going to Turbo the max but now that I think about it. Even like I said it will run me about $2000, which some people dont beileve, but its not even the point. The car it self doesnt even worth much, and if something goes wrong the max that another $$$$$$$$. Its just not worth the $$$$. Max will never make it under 13s No matter what unless u maybe some custom T + NOS plus take out the whole interior. And Z does under 10s highly modified. I dont know thats just my 2 cents, I know some of you dont care how fast it is just like the Maxima alot, IM the same way too. But sometimes the more i think about it the more it gets to me, its an old car whats the point. What do you guys think????
Old 07-25-2001, 03:36 PM

Its not that easy......

There isn't anything stopping a stock engined maxima with bolt ons and nitrous from running 13's. So far I've seen only one street legal 10 sec Z32TT. That was Kyle's SGP Z32TT, I've also seen the damage in person to his engine (it threw a rod and destroyed the block). Considering the fact that it would take at least a turbo and injector upgrade to run low-mid 12's barring any hardcore drag racing suspension setup. Its not really much cheaper. I figure the best way to run 13's in a maxima is with nitrous plain and simple. For example NA Z's with headwork and stock compression only gain around 5-9rwhp/rwtq. There might be alittle more gain in the VE but I doubt more than 10fwhp/fwtq average would be gained. However with a good set of cams + valve springs + reprogrammed ECU = very close to 185-195fwhp. Put a 65 or 80 shot on top of that and the car will run mid 13's or better all day long with traction.

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

I was thinking of getting all of that done at first doing an N/A tune, but its really not worth the money. u looking anywhere from $500-$5000. For that kind of money plus selling your maxima. You can get a 91-92 300ZX twin turbo. Which will have much more power then our maximas ever will. And with another couple of $$$$$ u can make that thing stage 17 785hp car. I saw a nice 91' 300Zx Twin-T. for $10,000 in nearly good condition. I was going to Turbo the max but now that I think about it. Even like I said it will run me about $2000, which some people dont beileve, but its not even the point. The car it self doesnt even worth much, and if something goes wrong the max that another $$$$$$$$. Its just not worth the $$$$. Max will never make it under 13s No matter what unless u maybe some custom T + NOS plus take out the whole interior. And Z does under 10s highly modified. I dont know thats just my 2 cents, I know some of you dont care how fast it is just like the Maxima alot, IM the same way too. But sometimes the more i think about it the more it gets to me, its an old car whats the point. What do you guys think????
Old 07-29-2001, 12:21 AM
MaximaSE91

I have been planning a turbo in the max for a year now with the vg engine no doubt, talking to Jim Wolf extensively. It Runs upwards of 4,000 dollas to do it thats with a custom front mount intercooler from spearco, apex avcr, 300zxtt fuel injectors, remapped ecu, factory z31 turbo good for 14psi, plus all the little custom crap piping plumbing and all those goodies, He says that the 9:1 compression ratio is fine for turbo and the pistons he recommends replacing with the z car pistons out of a z31 being that je makes pistons for the vg motor at 800.00 for the set or something like that id have to dig up my file to find out exactly. but I have been told with all the right tuning the factory maxima pistons with good fuel management would be sufficient for 450hp. according to Jim Wolf last time I talked to him. No on to what happened why Its not done yet I demolished my black 5spd 90 se last summer I replaced it but with a automatic 91 Max SE, will be a 5 spd soon should take me a day or so when i get everything together. then once it is converted oh joy on to the turbo... I have the custom plated all thought up for it already! And already have the engine block to build completely from ground up. I know I need to stregthen the lower end for this kind of project. I will keep my webpage posted as I build this car.

anyways im tired of typing
Have fun guys. Email me if you have questions. I have incredible hookups for factory nissan goodies and the aftermarket.

Old 07-29-2001, 09:44 AM

can we make this a sticky? i think this is a good thread.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

It already is....

but one of the mods locked it earlier(take a look at the top), cause some guy(not one of the regulars) came on here and started *****ing! I hate *******s like that! maybe Matt or Bill can unlock that one agian

can we make this a sticky? i think this is a good thread.