3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 06:56 AM

I JUST GOT MY 92 MAX BUT THE FACTORY RIMS ARE REAL HARD TO CLEAN DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I COULD GET TO GET THE BAKED ON BRAKE DUST OFF THE RIMS. CAN I GET SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT RIMS I SHOULD GET TO PUT ON MY MAX. I'M 17 SO I CAN'T SPEND THAT MUCH BUT I AM PLAN TO SPEND UP TO 8OO ON THEM. IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THEM ON THE MAX CAN YOU POST THAT ALSO THANKS
Old 07-27-2001, 08:28 AM
Getting back to his roots

What I used....

To clean my SE rims, I used some Simple Green Automotive and 3 or 4 Brillo Pads. They did the trick quite nicely. I also bought some A2Z rim cleaner, but the Simple Green seemed to do a better job. Just wet, spray, soak, and scrub. Hope that helps.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:11 AM

thanks i'll try that tonight
Old 07-27-2001, 09:13 AM

is that the degreaser or is it some wheel cleaner (simple green automtive)
Old 07-27-2001, 03:44 PM
DurableMax

When I purchased a set of alloy wheels, the guy hasn't really cleaned it or kept it in cleaned condition ever since he got the car as he openly admitted. Doesn't bother me, he gave me an awesome deal for it. I used decreaser and brillo like material pad, and just cleaned it over and over. It took me 4 days to finally get everything back in tip top shape. It was a labor of love. Yeah those old SE Rims can be a pain to clean! But it's all worth it.

Old 07-27-2001, 04:39 PM

Simple Green

What I mentioned is not a degreaser by name, but since it uses a citrus formula it does cut grease (though not as well as a commercial degreaser). Unless the brake dust is burned on, it should be fine.
Old 07-28-2001, 07:30 PM
MEMAX

I have a '93 SE w/stock alum. alloy rims. They seem to be deteriorating in a unique way. Some sort of clear coating is bubbling/wearing off and a dull finish is revealed underneath. Is this the problem you are seeing?

I need to do something also. Will simple green remove the remainder of the old clear finish also??

Old 07-28-2001, 08:34 PM
4 Maximas and counting

$800 will find you some decent rims

Especially if you don't mind used rims.
Besides the "usual suspects" like tirerack, discounttiredirect, etc, scan around on the forsale forum here, as well as checking out on ebaymotors (which has a specific wheel/tire section)
on ebay (or any other site that may have wheels), keep in mind that Maximas share bolt patterns and are close enough on offset to a lot of cars, such as 300ZX, Eclipse/Laser/Talon, 3000GT/Stealth, and Mustang. I believe that others, such as Honda Prelude, ITR, Accord V6 do as well, but the wheels are generally thin. Just make sure to search for other makes as well. RX-7s and Supras may share the bolt pattern, but I think that the offset is questionable.

Originally posted by gold4dsc
I JUST GOT MY 92 MAX BUT THE FACTORY RIMS ARE REAL HARD TO CLEAN DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I COULD GET TO GET THE BAKED ON BRAKE DUST OFF THE RIMS. CAN I GET SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT RIMS I SHOULD GET TO PUT ON MY MAX. I'M 17 SO I CAN'T SPEND THAT MUCH BUT I AM PLAN TO SPEND UP TO 8OO ON THEM. IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THEM ON THE MAX CAN YOU POST THAT ALSO THANKS
Old 07-29-2001, 09:14 AM

Re: $800 will find you some decent rims

I used the $20 solution. I picked up some sandpaper (coarse and fine grit), a wire brush for a drill, a can of white primer, two cans of white wheel paint, and a can of clearcoat. After taking my peeling clearcoat off with the sandpaper and wire brush, and cleaning the brake dust w/ the Simple Green I already had, I sanded the rims w/ a fine grit paper, and took 2 off at a time and painted them. I used two coats of primer (light coats). When that was tacky / dry, I sanded it w/ the fine grit to get a better adherence w/ the paint. I then applied two fairly heavy coats of the white wheel paint. I am waiting a week (as per instructions), and then am going to apply a coat of clearcoat. At the moment, the rims look awesome as the white matches my superwhite car. I was actually impressed by the quality of the paint, as I thought a homemade job might come out looking like crap. If $800 isn't in ur budget, try some silver wheel paint and see if that helps. I went to AutoZone and got the Dupli-Color brand Wheel Paint. If I can get my hands on a digital camera, I will try and post pics.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:36 PM
4 Maximas and counting

wheel paint = great idea

I think that's a great idea.
After the guy who had black powdercoated wheels to sell disappeared on me, I was wondering if it was worth trying to paint mine.

A trip to Pep Boys showed plenty of Duplicolor and Plastikote paints that seemed applicable.

I'm going to end up with 2 sets of "test subject" wheels and 1 set will definitely be polished and clearcoated. I'm going to try the Plastikote "candy apple" finish.

I may try to paint the 2nd set white or black. Another alternative would be body colored. If I can track down the link, there's a site that specializes in matching factory paint as touch up paint. The kicker is that they'll sell you spray cans as well. In that case, I could paint the wheels to "exactly" match the body, then clearcoat them.

definitely less than $800 and unique to boot.

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
I used the $20 solution. I picked up some sandpaper (coarse and fine grit), a wire brush for a drill, a can of white primer, two cans of white wheel paint, and a can of clearcoat. After taking my peeling clearcoat off with the sandpaper and wire brush, and cleaning the brake dust w/ the Simple Green I already had, I sanded the rims w/ a fine grit paper, and took 2 off at a time and painted them. I used two coats of primer (light coats). When that was tacky / dry, I sanded it w/ the fine grit to get a better adherence w/ the paint. I then applied two fairly heavy coats of the white wheel paint. I am waiting a week (as per instructions), and then am going to apply a coat of clearcoat. At the moment, the rims look awesome as the white matches my superwhite car. I was actually impressed by the quality of the paint, as I thought a homemade job might come out looking like crap. If $800 isn't in ur budget, try some silver wheel paint and see if that helps. I went to AutoZone and got the Dupli-Color brand Wheel Paint. If I can get my hands on a digital camera, I will try and post pics.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:52 AM

you could get your wheels powdercoated white....dependin on what color your car is. it ran me close to 90 bucks a wheel though. if your interested, pics at

http://photos.yahoo.com/maxfanatic93se