3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injectors Going Out on '91?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 02:19 PM
loveandlemons

I've had 4 fuel injectors go out on me in the last two years. Is that common among 1991 Maximas (automatic)? How much should it cost to replace an injector, parts and labor? Can I expect to replace all 6 and then stop, or will they continue to go out? I've only had the car for 2 years, and every time I take it to a mechanic, they say "IF you decide to KEEP this car, expect to keep replacing the injectors." Consumer reports gave it a glowing recommendation. What's going on here?

Old 07-30-2001, 09:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by loveandlemons
I've had 4 fuel injectors go out on me in the last two years. Is that common among 1991 Maximas (automatic)? How much should it cost to replace an injector, parts and labor? Can I expect to replace all 6 and then stop, or will they continue to go out? I've only had the car for 2 years, and every time I take it to a mechanic, they say "IF you decide to KEEP this car, expect to keep replacing the injectors." Consumer reports gave it a glowing recommendation. What's going on here?

I don't know about the "IF you decide to KEEP this car, expect to keep replacing the injectors"......
I replaced 1 recently on the max i recently parted ways with... I've heard of others having problems with injectors before... but just so u know.. injectors don't just go bad all of the sudden unless something else is wrong.... u should have the fuel system functioning properly, keep the car tuned right... just for the record, how much miles does your car have and have you been doing the basic maintenance as scheduled?
Old 07-31-2001, 07:51 AM
loveandlemons

Re: Fuel Injectors

I've kept up the car pretty well, but of course there's no way to know what was done before I purchased it. I checked to see if there were any recalls on it, and the report (NHTSA) said that there is the possibility that a mixture of mud and salt could get in between the fuel filler tube and the wheel housing which could cause fuel leaks. I don't really know what the implications are of that, but that's what it said. So you think I need to have the whole fuel system looked at thoroughly, in case something else is causing the fuel injectors to go out?

Thanks for responding to my question!

Old 07-31-2001, 09:13 AM
MaximaSE91

your problem is totally normal
I've replaced probably close to 100 fuel injectors in 3rd gen maximas the heat from the engine causes them to wear out normaly cylinders 1,3,5 will crap out first but remember this is normally my 91 spit injector #5 its quite spendy to have it done at nissan highly recommended. If you are in the Portland, OR area I can get the parts for you at cost and install the injector for 150.00 it only takes me about 45min to install fuel injectors on 91 maxima vg engine let me know.
Gooddluck!!

Oh by the way there is no recallon 3rd gen maximas for fuel injectors, it was on 2nd gen maximas and the z31 Zcars

Old 07-31-2001, 01:28 PM
loveandlemons

A Light Slowly Dawns....

Thanks so much for the info! I wish I were in Portland. So will the same injectors keep going out on me? Anything I can do to lengthen the life of an injector besides the typical fuel additives?

Old 07-31-2001, 07:13 PM
MaximaSE91

no the same ones will not keep going out you should have some time after the 6th one fails but if you drive with the injector fails it puts stress on the other 5 injectors that remain. so my recommendation is get all of them that are old replaced and you shouldnt have problems for awhile.
good luck

Old 08-04-2001, 08:30 PM

What are the signs??

What are the signs of the fuel injectors failing???

Thanks guys,
Old 08-06-2001, 08:14 AM
loveandlemons

Re: What are the signs??

You'll know if one goes out on you. There isn't any warning, really. Your car just starts running poorly, shuddering at idle and a bit in motion, plus there's a loss of power, but nothing too significant. It's pretty clear when one goes out that it's time to take it to the shop. The only ways I know of right now to avoid having an injector go out are: warming up your car thoroughly before driving and using fuel additives.

Good Luck.

Old 08-08-2001, 04:54 PM
crazy1eye

I own a 92' maxima gxe and the problem I'm having I beleive is injector related .Lately after driving the car for about 10 minutes or so and I've stop at the store or whatever and turned the car off,when I start it back up it's running on 5 cylinders.As I drive away, light throttle,the 6th cylinder comes back on and it runs fine.When it was running on 5 cyl's I opened the hood and started to pull the ignition wires off each cyl.,1 at a time and noticed that when I came to cyl.5 there was no change in the way the motor was idling(still on 5 cyl's,not on 4).I checked everything out and all seemed okay.I even swaped sparkplugs and still no change with cyl.5.Now after seeing these posts I beleive the problem could be the injector.Any thoughts or ideas.Thanks Pat.

Old 08-09-2001, 10:22 AM
loveandlemons

I would definitely say it's injector related. (I don't know if you have access to all the posts, but one of them talks about how the 1,3 & 5 cylinders are usually the first to go.)

Since you still get some use of it, it may be possible to have it cleaned. You could try a fuel additive if you haven't already. I was told the Chevron Brand is best, and that you should NOT put more than the recommended amount of it in your tank, or you could cause engine damage. If you have a mechanic who isn't too pushy, you might convince him to clean it, which I would imagine is more thorough. But there is always the chance that he'll tell you you need a new cylinder. Regardless, driving with one cylinder clogged or out puts additional strain on the remaining 5, which might cause them to go out more quickly. Best you take care of it soon.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-09-2001, 04:01 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by crazy1eye
I own a 92' maxima gxe and the problem I'm having I beleive is injector related .Lately after driving the car for about 10 minutes or so and I've stop at the store or whatever and turned the car off,when I start it back up it's running on 5 cylinders.As I drive away, light throttle,the 6th cylinder comes back on and it runs fine.When it was running on 5 cyl's I opened the hood and started to pull the ignition wires off each cyl.,1 at a time and noticed that when I came to cyl.5 there was no change in the way the motor was idling(still on 5 cyl's,not on 4).I checked everything out and all seemed okay.I even swaped sparkplugs and still no change with cyl.5.Now after seeing these posts I beleive the problem could be the injector.Any thoughts or ideas.Thanks Pat.
Make sure your injector ends, that little plastic connector, are all cleaned and free of corosion, a bad connection can do all sorts of things and the VG has a habit of collecting corosion on all sorts of its connectors.........and remember if you see "green" make sure it has not moved up the actual wire.......
Old 08-09-2001, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel Regulator

I am in the process of replacing all my fuel injectors on 93 GXE Max. My question is has anyone had any problems with the fuel requlator? I figured since everything is out of the way I should just replace it now and not worry about it in the future. If no one has ever had any problems with them though, I won't bother and save myself $70.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:23 PM
MaximaSE91

no

I have never ran into problems with the fuel pressure regulator I have 176k on my max now and its fine nor working at the dealership did I ever encounter a problem with it. my advice save your 70.00

Old 08-11-2001, 03:38 AM

Must be the fuel injectors

After reading the replies for this post...I am really getting convienced that my car's fuel injectors are stuffed.

Cause I have posted a thred before asking if people new what was wrong with my cars steering wheel shaking madly when starting the car and when the car was at idle, and the exhuast pipes would also be going popopopo. I thought this was either the exhaust system or some of the injectors not working, thus inbalancing the engine.(The shaking at idle can also be felt in the passenger seats)

Now I think this problem I have with my car's steering wheel shaking and exhaust choking must be the injectors.

I am going to get them changed along with the lead and the distributer to be on the safe side.

Just wondering is there any performance injectors available for the SE VG Maximas?

Thanks guys for the help
Old 08-11-2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by loveandlemons
I've had 4 fuel injectors go out on me in the last two years. Is that common among 1991 Maximas (automatic)? How much should it cost to replace an injector, parts and labor?
How many miles do you have?
Old 08-11-2001, 07:22 PM

This sucks....

I guess I probably have an injector going out then too. Mine will stumble after restarting it hot. When I first try to accelerate away it will just sputter, then go. I've always ignored it cause it goes away within 2 - 3 seconds and runs perfectly otherwise. Oh well... I guess I'll pick up a bottle of injector cleaner and see how long I can run it until I HAVE to replace it :-) BTW- Anyone wanna take bets on how long my auto tranny will last? 157k miles and I use it for towing my 1000lb jet ski.... I do have a tranny cooler and I'm running Semi-synthetic ATF. Also I'm NOT burning fluid and right now the tranny works perfectly.

Brian
87 RX-7 Turbo II
89 Maxima (daily)
Old 08-11-2001, 10:19 PM
MaximaSE91

it sounds like you need some fuel injectors or an injector!!
from what you describe the exhaust going poo poo poo thats normal for a fuel injector gone bad and the engine running on 5 cylinders.

Old 08-11-2001, 11:50 PM

Quite alot!

Originally posted by superdesi

How many miles do you have?
Well I bought the car from an auction and it had already done 156,000...now thats quite alot I reckon!

And inspecting the injectors they look very old, so I dont think they have been changed recently.
Old 08-12-2001, 08:42 AM
MaximaSE91

im rollin with 177k and only had replaced one injector thats it. when I bought the car from a old guy he said he never had to and as soon as I started to drive it poof one failed, but anyways good luck if you pay for it in the shop its expensive if you do it your self you can save 500.00 in labor and it should only cost you about 600.00 if you replace all 6. but when you do please buy nissan factory parts or you might and very well could pay dearly.
Goodluck

Old 08-13-2001, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by MaximaSE91
im rollin with 177k and only had replaced one injector thats it. when I bought the car from a old guy he said he never had to and as soon as I started to drive it poof one failed, but anyways good luck if you pay for it in the shop its expensive if you do it your self you can save 500.00 in labor and it should only cost you about 600.00 if you replace all 6. but when you do please buy nissan factory parts or you might and very well could pay dearly.
Goodluck

Thanks alot MAximaSE91....appreciated.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:20 PM
crazy1eye

(MaximaSE91)I guess you are a nissan mechanic.Is there any tricks or shortcuts when changing an injector?It seems I'll have to change my no.5 injector and after taking a quick glance,it looks as if I will have to remove the intake.I do have the nissan service manual,I just have'nt taking a look at it.Any tips will be appreciated,Thanks Pat.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:46 AM

maybe this will help

IF you are looking to take off the intake to get to the injectors its not that bad. IT took me 40 minutes. To get off the manifold ontop you need to remove three allen screws from the throttle body.
Then remove the EGR unit with 4 smaller allen screws.
About 7 screws out of the manifold and then two radiator lines on the driver side (one of which you gotta watch for fluid).
Then the oil hose that runs to the aft valve cover, a ground wire in the back of the manifold, the EGR pipe, and then youll tear it and the poor gasket out.
At carparts the gasket is 6 bucks. Then about 7 more allen screws and a ground wire away, and the other plate will come off.
You may not need to remove this, as the injectors should be right there. Underlying the plate is another gasket, that i found to be in ok condition, but i think i was letting a little oil out. So while your in this process, find out about replacing that gasket along with the top one, and probably 1 gasket on the EGR unit, and 1 one the throttle body.
Need any help, my intakes on the floor of my garage, so drop an email.

John
Old 08-15-2001, 07:03 AM

Ive had one fuel injector replaced already. another thing i noticed is when im doing over 65 miles per hour it will shake every now and then. but then go away. i dont have my car right now either, i have a leak in my tranny. a seal under my intake is leaking. it kind of felt cool driving it for a lil while until it wouldnt go anymore. i have a auto and it felt like a stick driving with the clutch not all the way out. haha. i know i know not good, but it is getting fixed. tranny is fine. my input... Peace.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:23 AM
MaximaSE91

you dont have to remove the egr unti from themanifold
makesure you buy new upper and lower plennum gaskets, and orings for the injector use vaseline on the orings so they just kind of slide right in. also becareful not to strip the screws out on the injector caps that hold them in there will be 2 phillips head screws take a pair of wire cutters and pinch the head of the screw if they do not come loose and turn it should come out. I run into this often. rememeber to install all of your coolant and vacuum hoses too just rememeber where everything goes its not a tough job but if you arent comfortable doing it you may have to pay and i know its like 4 hrs for 1 injector and a little bit extra for everyother one.
anyways good luck!!!!