3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Variable Intake Manifold Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 08:07 AM
Getting back to his roots

I have a 92SE (VE engine). Since it is an auto, it does not have the variable intake systems that the 5-spds enjoy. But, if I were to purchase a variable intake manifold, would it work in my car? Or are there other parts inherently missing from my engine bay that I would need but wouldn't be able to add? I'm not sure exactly how the variable intake is controlled (probly the key to my question).
Old 08-09-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

The varible volume intake manifold is vacuum actuated. If you get one make sure you get the actuator and the solenoid that controls when it opens. I'm fairly sure it's ecu controled but I supposed you could energize the solenoid by a rpm switch or something.

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
I have a 92SE (VE engine). Since it is an auto, it does not have the variable intake systems that the 5-spds enjoy. But, if I were to purchase a variable intake manifold, would it work in my car? Or are there other parts inherently missing from my engine bay that I would need but wouldn't be able to add? I'm not sure exactly how the variable intake is controlled (probly the key to my question).
Old 08-10-2001, 12:18 AM
MaximaSE91

both the 5spds and autmatics have variable capacity intake manifolds look more closely. Trust me on this one i dont want you to spend money that you dont need to.

Old 08-10-2001, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by MaximaSE91
both the 5spds and autmatics have variable capacity intake manifolds look more closely. Trust me on this one i dont want you to spend money that you dont need to.
The intake collectors of the 5-speed and auto VE30DE may look the same, but only the 5-speed has the power valve. The intake casting (or at least the machining) is also different, as the 5-speed version has an opening in the rear for the power valve. You would need the complete collector from a 5-speed, along with the power valve solenoid, mounting bracket, vacuum tank, and two vacuum galley assemblies (the steel lines).
Old 08-10-2001, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dave is right; on the VE, the auto and 5spd do have slightly different intake manifolds

maybe you're thinking of the VG and it's dual plenum intake which is the same for both 5spd and auto alike?
Old 08-10-2001, 06:44 AM
Getting back to his roots

Ok

So my next question progresses to say: is this something I (a fairly inexperienced but intelligent do-it-yourselfer) can do? Is it a matter of switching manifolds and connecting some parts to places where they belong? Or do I need to do some 'custom' work and / or fiddle w/ the electronics to get the ECU to know that I have this part on my vehicle now? Are the gains (low end power I'm assuming) worth the trouble?
Old 08-10-2001, 06:19 PM

I don't know if the ECU is set up (programmed??)any differently, but you won't have the harness wire from the ECU to the power valve solenoid for sure. With a diagram from the service manual, you should be able to find the right connections, but it would take some hunting. Swapping the collectors shouldn't be too bad (hopefully, since I'll be doing mine as soon as the parts are here). The ECU setup will be the biggest question, I think.
Old 08-10-2001, 08:13 PM
MaximaSE91

thanks maybe i am wrong oh well ive worked on plenty of ve maximas and ive always seen the power valve.
but then again im human so mistakes are possible
and yes i think there is a power valve actuator solenoid that blocks vacuum to the power valve when the engine is cold.

Old 08-11-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: Ok

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
So my next question progresses to say: is this something I (a fairly inexperienced but intelligent do-it-yourselfer) can do? Is it a matter of switching manifolds and connecting some parts to places where they belong? Or do I need to do some 'custom' work and / or fiddle w/ the electronics to get the ECU to know that I have this part on my vehicle now? Are the gains (low end power I'm assuming) worth the trouble?
I was just thinking that if they used the same wiring harness for the auto & 5-speed (very likely), you may already have the connector. Check for a stray green connector (2 wire) in the area just below the EGR valve and the fuel filter. That still doesn't answer the question about the ECU setup, though. It uses input like throttle position and engine speed to control the solenoid valve.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:26 PM
MaximaSE91

the solenoid for the vacuum is opened to let vacuum flow when the engine is out of its warmup stage. then the power valve is completely controlled by manifold vacuum. you can use this with the same ecu I'm not sure what kind of an effect if any will occur from this. try is cant hurt anything.
Goodluck

Old 08-13-2001, 05:13 AM

the solenoid for the vacuum is opened to let vacuum flow when the engine is out of its warmup stage. then the power valve is completely controlled by manifold vacuum. you can use this with the same ecu I'm not sure what kind of an effect if any will occur from this. try is cant hurt anything.
Goodluck
It's not quite that simple, at least according to the FSM (see attachment). But I do agree that if you have the wire connector already, it can't hurt to try. ps - if the pic is too crappy, lemme know and I can send you the pdf.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:21 AM
MaximaSE91

send me the pdf and ill decipher if its tough i know the basic principleand how it operates butyes please send the pdf and ill give her a look.

Old 08-13-2001, 09:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Just use a RPM switch to activate the solenoid or just connect it to a vacuum source directly.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:23 PM

What's the gain from the variable capacity intake vs. the other one? The only thing that I can think of is that you may have a *bit* more low end torque, but IMO its gimmicky, kinda like VTC's. They could've given us 190HP easy with just the 24 valves, without the DOHC, VTC's and VIM. Maybe I should experiment; I have both manifolds, but then again, my findings prob. wouldn't apply for 99.998% of maximas out there......