3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 05:13 PM
Stikfigure

i bought my '92 se with heavy front end damage. after i fixed it everything was fine, except the airbag light it wont turn off. my car isnt equiped with an airbag system so im not sure if it was the crash that caused it. does anyone know how to turn it off? ive been able to ignore it this long but im getting a little tired of it. thanks.
josh

Old 10-24-2000, 05:45 PM

Mine did that too but that was only because I disconnected it and then reconnected it. I got mine fixed when I was at the transmission shop. One of the guys hooked up to the computer and reset it. You should be able to go to any mechanic and they can do it. It only took like a minute, so they will probably do it for free. Thats all I think it is.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-24-2000, 07:21 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

if your car doesnt have an airbag system, then why would an airbag light be on? if there was no airbag system, there shouldnt be an airbag light of any kind.
Old 10-24-2000, 08:15 PM
Stikfigure

i know i have no airbags and there is a bright red airbag light on my instrument panel. perhaps the dash was changed out before i bought the car, but i highly doubt that because whoever had it before me cared a lot more about the sound system then the car itself. kind of sad that way. but i do know the light is there and on even though it doesnt make since, but i do want to turn it off.
josh

Old 10-24-2000, 08:41 PM

it probably had an airbag in the first place and was never replaced or was hooked up wrong. the dash was probably not changed out like you said. had that been the case, there would be an airbag light but it wouldnt function because there would be no way of hooking it up unless it originally had an airbag system to hook to. if the light works then it most likely had an airbag system and was not properly repaired. know what i'm saying? if you just want the light off, why dont you see if you can unplug it.
Old 10-24-2000, 08:47 PM
Stikfigure

there was never an airbag system, none of the sensors were there.

Old 10-24-2000, 09:20 PM

what sensors? crash sensors in the bumper or like sensors in the dash? if it was sensors in the bumper and the whole front end was replaced or repaired do you think they could have just put on a different front clip that didnt have the sensors or taken the sensors out? so the steering wheel does not have the airbag, correct? maybe the steering wheel is just off a different max that wasnt airbag equiped. did you fix the front end damage yourself? if someone else did it they could have just taken the airbag out along with all the sensors and put in what you have now. that is pretty common, because people dont want to have to deal with the airbag and problems with getting it fixed cuz they have to go thru some legal issues and stuff like that.
Old 10-25-2000, 10:18 AM
Tom

Hmm

Hmm... If your car was originally equipped with an air bag, there should be a module under the ashtray with a yellow warning sticker as well as the word AIR BAG written next to the windshield defroster vent on the driver side. There should also be a yellow air bag warning sticker under the hood near the brake master cylinder on the firewall.

I would suggest you do some investigation to make sure your odometer is correct with the DMV.
Old 10-25-2000, 10:23 AM
STFU n00b!

One more point...

since these cars had optional airbags for some years, they probably made all the gauge clusters the same whether the airbag was there or not. they simple added some more wiring in the cars with airbags. no big deal..
that's why the light is there..

as for why it's onstantly on, I dunno. Personally, I'd just yank the gauge cluster apart and pull the light bulb out of that hole. never see it again.
Old 10-25-2000, 04:59 PM
Tom

Hmmm

Well, that came across my mind as well, but ABS was optional on these models for some years also. My car does not have ABS and hence does not have an ABS warning light in the dash. That's the logic I based my statement on. Can anybody confirm?
Old 10-25-2000, 07:34 PM
Stikfigure

there arent any stickers anywhere on the car, or nothing under the ashtray. i did all the front end repair myself with the help of my dad, he owns a body shop (this is one of the main reasons i bought the car, only 400 dollars).
i did replace half the front clip but with another car not equipped with air bags. ive also done a title check just for the hell of it and came up with nothing bad. it had 110,000 miles on it when i bought it so i dont think anyone did any odometer rolling. like i said before there arent any sensors or wires for the airbag system, i do know where they would be and where to look for them. i think ill just go in there and unlplug the bastard. its not too much work
thanks for all the help.
josh