3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Body Kit hanging Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 04:27 PM
blackattack91

I have a full Stillen Body Kit that has been installed and painted. The Body shop complained about the double sided tape, and after a day or 2, some of the double sided tape lost it's hold. what have people used to hold the kit's on (besides the screws). I thought about apoxy?

...Malik

Old 08-29-2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by blackattack91
I have a full Stillen Body Kit that has been installed and painted. The Body shop complained about the double sided tape, and after a day or 2, some of the double sided tape lost it's hold. what have people used to hold the kit's on (besides the screws). I thought about apoxy?

...Malik
Here's what fitzmax(?) replied to my question:
"In all actuality, just ditch the whole package that they give you with the kit, which includes various rivets, their cheap 2 sided tape, random screws and other stuff. Go to the hardware store and get a box of 3/4 " STAINLESS STEEL phillips screws, also go to either a body shop or a paint supply store and get a roll of the RED 3M double sided tape (its red on the oudside, grey in the middle). Also you must must must must get 3M Adhesion Promoter 06396. It comes in packets and it may come in a spray can too. It helps the tape stick better. This is a definite item to get, it makes the tape stick to the car and to the body like cement! Its good stuff, I had to take off the rear part of my kit 3 days after installing it because the original tape was not sticking, and I did everything that I was supposed to do when applying the tape. I then used the adhesion promoter and the new 3M tape and it is like bonded to the car."

Hope that helps.