3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001 | 03:45 PM

I was searching for mods for the 3rd Generation Maximas, and was surprised to find that they don't make any turbos or superchargers for it. I recently saw a picture in this post of someone who put a Skyline intercooler in his maxima, and that means that he's got a turbo. Was it custom? The SE's engine is big enough that it could really put out some serious hp if it had the right mods. I'm not talking NOS either.
Old 09-15-2001 | 04:21 PM

Originally posted by James _92_4DSC
I was searching for mods for the 3rd Generation Maximas, and was surprised to find that they don't make any turbos or superchargers for it. I recently saw a picture in this post of someone who put a Skyline intercooler in his maxima, and that means that he's got a turbo. Was it custom? The SE's engine is big enough that it could really put out some serious hp if it had the right mods. I'm not talking NOS either.
1. Suck's doesn't it?
2. Yes, thats my friend Vitaly's.
3. Yes, it is turbocharged.
4. Yes, it is custom(but made from older 300zx parts)
5, Yes, it will put out serious power when modded correctly.
Old 09-15-2001 | 07:06 PM

Its impossible to t/c a maxima, thats a fake one, and the people who tell you that it can be done are blowing smoke up your donkey.

j/k
Old 09-15-2001 | 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Czar
Its impossible to t/c a maxima, thats a fake one, and the people who tell you that it can be done are blowing smoke up your donkey.

j/k
Czar: Why do you say that it's impossible to t/c a 92 maxima? I have an SE, which has the same engine that they dropped into the 300ZX. One would think that it's just a simple matter of modifying a 300ZX turbo kit into one that will fit the Maxima.

MaximaMike: Given that your friend isn't blowing smoke up my ***, how much did he spend, and how hard was it for him to do? Is it something that once he's figured out, can make plans so that I could have my mechanic or someone else skilled (unlike me) do? I'm open to everyone's thoughts on the matter.
Old 09-15-2001 | 10:08 PM

Czar: Why do you say that it's impossible to t/c a 92 maxima? I have an SE, which has the same engine that they dropped into the 300ZX. One would think that it's just a simple matter of modifying a 300ZX turbo kit into one that will fit the Maxima.

MaximaMike: Given that your friend isn't blowing smoke up my ***, how much did he spend, and how hard was it for him to do? Is it something that once he's figured out, can make plans so that I could have my mechanic or someone else skilled (unlike me) do? I'm open to everyone's thoughts on the matter.
Hahahahahaha.. I don't know if you read Czar's sig. "Turbo 92 SE 5sp. "

Ok, now that I'm done with that, you do not have the same engine as they dropped into the 300zx. Whoever told you that needs to seek professional help. If you have a 92-94 SE you have the VE30DE engine. Which was <b>only</b> used in the 92-94 SE's. If you have a 89-91 you have a VG30E, which was used in a slightly different form(different intake manifold and other small things). As for a 300zx turbo kit, where do you see this?

As for how much my friend spent, I cannot say. But I will say he's put over $5k in mods and other stuff into how it sits now(engine wise). If you gave the engine to someone skilled they could probably throw it in with the proper instructions. Good luck..
Old 09-15-2001 | 10:12 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Welcome to the forum....

first off Czar is just joking, notice the "j/k" at the end of his post. anyways Czar just recently turbo'd his VE 3rd gen so hes definently not gonna be the one to argue the possibility of turboing your car.

and I'll vouch for Mike, I've seen many pics of the Maixma he speaks about, from the simple pics you can see that the engine is seriously modified and the turbo is definently real. I think last was said, that Vtaly was making close to 300+ at the wheels.

there are about 3-4 turbo 3rd gens I know of today, either form the Z31 engine swap or doing a ground up design from the stock VG or VE block and using custom or VG-T parts. the process is quite costly, I've heard $3-4k+, and its not just a bolt-on and go job like most of the Honda boys. if you do a search of the 3rd gen forum, you'll find countless posts that have alreayd covered this post millions of times!

Old 09-15-2001 | 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike

Hahahahahaha.. I don't know if you read Czar's sig. "Turbo 92 SE 5sp. "

LOL. Ok, now I feel stupid. I guess it's not hard to spot a newB!

My roomate has a 93 Imprezza, and it makes me sick how many mods he would be able to do with his car. I've had my Maxima for about a year, and I love it, but I wish there were more mods for hp than just a Y-pipe, exhaust, and a CAI. I've looked around, and the only body kit that I like is the Stillen one. Oh well.

Also, does a Maxima have headers? I'm sure they would have to, but I'm surprised there isn't an upgrade for them.
Old 09-15-2001 | 10:21 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

So far...

headers on an n/a Maixma have proved innaffective....little to no gains over a y-pipe. there are some other mods available, you just have to turn over stones to find them, remember we're the underdogs of the import game!

Also, does a Maxima have headers? I'm sure they would have to, but I'm surprised there isn't an upgrade for them.
Old 09-15-2001 | 10:23 PM

Re: So far...

Originally posted by DA-MAX
headers on an n/a Maixma have proved innaffective....little to no gains over a y-pipe. there are some other mods available, you just have to turn over stones to find them, remember we're the underdogs of the import game!

I'm finding that. For information purposes, does anyone know how much hp would be generated with the following mods after it's all said and done: CAI, Y-pipe, exhaust?
Old 09-15-2001 | 11:24 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well...

its really impossible to say, all cars react differently...stock VG auto makes about 130hp to the wheels(160 at the crank) and stock VE auto makes ~150hp to the wheels(190 crank)....so I'd expect Cai, Y ,exhaust to get you up to around 12-15hp, so lets say mid 140s for the VG and mid 160s at the wheels for the VE. again these are gains based on what I've seen and heard people say, so really I'm not 100%. some people will say different, but I doubt it will be by much difference....

I'm finding that. For information purposes, does anyone know how much hp would be generated with the following mods after it's all said and done: CAI, Y-pipe, exhaust?
Old 09-15-2001 | 11:51 PM

Re: So far...

I am a FOOL and I should never be listened to again. every single post I make, I'm talking out my @$$ and have no clue what I'm really doing. I've emailed Jambo and asked that I have my username banned so I can't post nonsense anymore, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
Old 09-16-2001 | 12:02 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

OKay let me reapeat this.....

and slow it down a little for those that can't read... re-read my post I said [u]"n/a[u/] Maimxa"....keyword "n/a" menaing "naturally aspirated", or non-turbo/forced induction........

Originally posted by MaxTypeR
u lie.
Old 09-16-2001 | 01:32 AM

Re: OKay let me reapeat this.....

and slow it down a little for those that can't read... re-read my post I said [u]"n/a[u/] Maimxa"....keyword "n/a" menaing "naturally aspirated", or non-turbo/forced induction........

Hay max Type R, why dont you just hush
Old 09-16-2001 | 01:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: OKay let me reapeat this.....

well, you know Type R never DID respond to that "let's see pics of your supposed coilovers" challenge.....
Old 09-16-2001 | 02:05 AM
STFU n00b!

Ignore the poor sap.. he's obviouslly got mental problems he's trying to deal with and doesn't need us to egg on his 17 personalities.
Old 09-16-2001 | 02:32 AM

Alright, even though I'm new to the whole "Modding My Max" thing, I've searched throughout most of the forums and online stores recently, and I've discovered basically 3 bolt-on mods for the maxima, which has already been stated: Y-pipe, Exhaust, and CAI. I'm just surprised that with a 190hp stock v6, you would think that there would be tons of mods for it pushing its limits to close to 300-400 hp without NOS. Oh well, when I get my FUTURE modifications, I should be able to Smash my roomates 4 cyl Honda Prelude!!!

P.S. Cool down kids. We all mean well.....Except those of us that don't.....
Old 09-20-2001 | 06:02 AM

LOL. Ok, now I feel stupid. I guess it's not hard to spot a newB!

Hey you can always spray. Some people think it's cheating but oh well.. At least you will win the race..
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: So far...

I am a FOOL and I should never be listened to again. every single post I make, I'm talking out my @$$ and have no clue what I'm really doing. I've emailed Jambo and asked that I have my username banned so I can't post nonsense anymore, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
LMAO! Hmm, I'm pretty sure this post said something else not long ago...
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:22 AM

You can always go the all motor route...
Old 09-20-2001 | 01:18 PM

Originally posted by TB-MaxSE-89
You can always go the all motor route...

hay who ever said spraying isnt all motor? when i look at my engine, with the lil nos thingys in the manifold.. all i see is all motor ... ^__^
Old 09-20-2001 | 01:43 PM

Supercharger kit

I have just received a response from one of my local performance shops and they can source a "complete supercharger kit" out of Australia. I've requested more info as to what is in the kit, but it is a tad pricey ($NZ7000).

This was for a VG motor BTW. Dunno how suitable it would be for US models.

Brent
Old 09-20-2001 | 01:44 PM

How do you keep NOS from terring up your engine?

Originally posted by mykizism

hay who ever said spraying isnt all motor? when i look at my engine, with the lil nos thingys in the manifold.. all i see is all motor ... ^__^
Not to mension the pressure problem. I don't have any experience with it, that's why I'm asking.
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:32 PM

Re: Supercharger kit

Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
I have just received a response from one of my local performance shops and they can source a "complete supercharger kit" out of Australia. I've requested more info as to what is in the kit, but it is a tad pricey ($NZ7000).

This was for a VG motor BTW. Dunno how suitable it would be for US models.

Brent
do u no how to get a hold of that place that sells the supra charger kit? n what does nz7000 mean how much is that in USA money?
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:34 PM

Re: Re: Supercharger kit

do u no how to get a hold of that place that sells the supra charger kit? n what does nz7000 mean how much is that in USA money?
nz7000 means neptune zupaly money. $7000NZ= 99cents.
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:39 PM

Given the way exchange rates are going $7000 NZ dollars problably will be worth 99 US cents. But at the moment, 49US cents will buy you a whol NZ dollar.

As for the Supra supercharger kit. Ask someone who owns a Supra or actually cares.

Brent.
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:48 PM

Given the way exchange rates are going $7000 NZ dollars problably will be worth 99 US cents. But at the moment, 49US cents will buy you a whol NZ dollar.

As for the Supra supercharger kit. Ask someone who owns a Supra or actually cares.

Brent.
so ur saying that the supracharger is going to be like $3500 in USA money. i can afford that. can u give me the phone number and address to the place that makes the kit for the maxima? i want to order this soon i get my paycheck in a week.
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:56 PM

Brent.
I was joking ;
from expedia.com:
7,000.00 New Zealand dollars = 2,872.10 US dollars
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:59 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Now, TypeR.... THAT would be something I'd like to see!! I wish it would be just as easy with the VE, too.
Old 09-20-2001 | 09:59 PM

Originally posted by jim90gxe

I was joking ;
from expedia.com:
7,000.00 New Zealand dollars = 2,872.10 US dollars
I know you were but I'm not too sure about how bright the light is burning for someone else.

Brent.
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:05 PM

so wheres the number for that place with the maxima charger kit?
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:19 PM

so wheres the number for that place with the maxima charger kit?
Here tis: http://www.capa.com.au/
++61 885 823 499 (Ph)
++61 885 823 477 (Fax)

However, like I said, I don't know how well suited to a US model Maxima it would be as you have different emission regulations and so forth. It is worth a shot I suppose if you are ambitious.

Brent
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:44 PM

Here tis: http://www.capa.com.au/
++61 885 823 499 (Ph)
++61 885 823 477 (Fax)

However, like I said, I don't know how well suited to a US model Maxima it would be as you have different emission regulations and so forth. It is worth a shot I suppose if you are ambitious.

Brent
supracharger here i come! i am so excited. do u think it is going to be hard to install? will a nissan dealership install it? how long does it take to ship something from nz to the usa?
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:47 PM

If it is a complete kit it should be no problems. Dunno about a dealer installing, they would charge a premium to do it if they did.

I can get parts ex-Japan within 10 working days but given the current airline situation that may still not hold true into the US.

Brent.
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:49 PM

supracharger here i come! i am so excited. do u think it is going to be hard to install? will a nissan dealership install it? how long does it take to ship something from nz to the usa?
Why would you want a Supercharger if it wasn't a Skyline TypeR supercharger? The saying 'there is no stupid question' shouldn't apply to most of your previous questions.
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Czar

Why would you want a Supercharger if it wasn't a Skyline TypeR supercharger? The saying 'there is no stupid question' shouldn't apply to most of your previous questions.
whats ur problem. all i was asking was questions about the charger kit and where to get it. yea thats funny yea a skyline typeR supercharger why do u got to start stuff with me i didnt do nothing to u. ur just jealous that when i get my charger kit and have it installed that it'll be faster than ur maxima.
Old 09-20-2001 | 10:57 PM

ur just jealous that when i get my charger kit and have it installed that it'll be faster than ur maxima.
Try me.....
Old 09-20-2001 | 11:00 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

supracharger? that's not a mistake right? cause it's in your sig...i think you should learn how to spell what you're buying before you buy it...have fun!
Old 09-20-2001 | 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

supracharger? that's not a mistake right? cause it's in your sig...i think you should learn how to spell what you're buying before you buy it...have fun!
i thought it was supposed to called a supracharger. whats the difference?
Old 09-20-2001 | 11:39 PM

Re: Re: So far...

I dunno about the HP numbers, but I know that those three mods plus the rest of the mods in my sig you can hit a mid 14's 1/4 if you can drive well. I cant drive quite so well so I get mid/high 14's
Old 09-21-2001 | 12:18 AM

Or you can go turbo... hahaha

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Turbo?