3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car Smoking all the sudden - HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001 | 06:40 AM

Car Smoking all the sudden - HELP?

OK guys, I currently have a slow oil leak - I beleive it is my gaskets..all need to be replaced..I am in process of getting that together...so I put oil in the car ever so often...every tank of gas or so Ill put a quart. I put in 3 gts of 10w 40 cause oil was low..but not emptty..then I drive off and it starts smoking BADLY - but only in lower gears..so I test someTHING BY PULLING SPARK PLUG WIRES..SEE IF IT IS MISSING A HEAD?? i DUNNO - WELL ONE WIRE BREAKS LEAVING ME STRANDED..iM TAKING CARE OF THAT TODAY - BUT WILL CHANGEING ALL GASKETTS INTHE CAR HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM OR IS IT LESS/MORE SEVERE?? AS WELL HOW MUCH AM i LOOKING AT TO GET A JOB LIKE THIS DONE?? woops - sorry for capps...it was mistake..thanks...
Old 09-25-2001 | 06:52 AM

Sounds like you have a bad head gasket, since it started out minor and progressivaly got worse. I would get it looked at ASAP. Having to put in 3 qts is a pretty big thing, the engine only takes 4.5 qts.
Old 09-25-2001 | 06:58 AM

Originally posted by HoJo
Sounds like you have a bad head gasket, since it started out minor and progressivaly got worse. I would get it looked at ASAP. Having to put in 3 qts is a pretty big thing, the engine only takes 4.5 qts.
after calling courtesy - I find the seal I am referring to is not the gasket but the front crank shaft seal - which cost 4.67 and dealership is telling me it cost 250.0p0 to have the job done. I am so frustraighted now!!! ugh ugh ugh. So it could still be the head gasket? how much f9or a job like that? And since the front crank seal is bad..would that cause the white smoke in the beginning gears?? It doesn't happen everytime either..as well - can I replace the seal myself? THANKS
Old 09-25-2001 | 07:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had same problem

I had the same problem you could be putting in too much oil because my max did that and my leak was not has bad as your is sounding. It was my rear main seal. This happend on my orginial engine. The head gasket job could cost 150 labor because I had that done this summer on my max. I went to my mechanic not the dealership. My max has 196000 miles but I put a JDM engine in with 50,000 miles on 2 summers ago and it runs strong. You might want to take it to a good mechanic if you have one and get a second opinion.
Originally posted by Jupiternaus

after calling courtesy - I find the seal I am referring to is not the gasket but the front crank shaft seal - which cost 4.67 and dealership is telling me it cost 250.0p0 to have the job done. I am so frustraighted now!!! ugh ugh ugh. So it could still be the head gasket? how much f9or a job like that? And since the front crank seal is bad..would that cause the white smoke in the beginning gears?? It doesn't happen everytime either..as well - can I replace the seal myself? THANKS
Old 09-25-2001 | 08:12 AM

Re: I had same problem

Originally posted by tightblue89
I had the same problem you could be putting in too much oil because my max did that and my leak was not has bad as your is sounding. It was my rear main seal. This happend on my orginial engine. The head gasket job could cost 150 labor because I had that done this summer on my max. I went to my mechanic not the dealership. My max has 196000 miles but I put a JDM engine in with 50,000 miles on 2 summers ago and it runs strong. You might want to take it to a good mechanic if you have one and get a second opinion.

OKAY THEN. So if i take some oil out and replace the front crank seal it could be fixed?? iS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME to replace the seal myself? or is it heavy duty work eh? AS well timing has not been changed since I have had the car..which is 100,000 miles now. Could this have any replation and can I change the timiung/water pump myslef? Thanks for input guys!!
Old 09-25-2001 | 11:19 AM
SFMaxima

Re: Re: I had same problem

If the smoke is bluish-grey, chances are good you put in too much oil. 3 quarts is an awful lot to add all at once. If your car is leaking oil and you have to add some periodically, add no more than 1/2 a quart at a time. Run the engine up to operating temperature, then shut it off and allow the oil to drain into the pan, then check the dipstick. Add as apropriate with 5W-30 and repeat.

White smoke in the exhaust indicates water vapor. Could be caused by a busted cylinder head gasket or internal coolant leak. There are a couple ways to diagnose this.

First, drain the engine oil. If it's "milky" or otherwise contaminated, that's a good indicator of a blown head gasket. You need to do this anyway since you've probably got too much oil in there right now.

Second, check the coolant reservoir. Clean or murky?

Third, perform a cylinder compression check. Are any of the cylinders reading low? That would indicate a gasket on its way out...

Get the timing belt taken care of ASAP, and do the seal (crank/cam/whatever is leaking) at the same time. Should run around $400 P&L. If the water pump isn't leaking, you can probably leave it alone at 100,000 miles.

This and the head gasket job are things you can do yourself, given time, reference material and the right tools. Start with a Chilton or Haynes shop manual and see if you're up to the task. I like the Haynes manual, it's inexpensive and should be available at your local auto parts store.

A professional can accomplish the timing belt & seal in around 3 hours. An amateur doing his/her first job should plan to spend the weekend.

Whether you go to the shop or do it yourself, don't neglect these problems for another day. If the timing belt breaks at speed your '90 Max will effectively be totaled.