3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

300z turbo on a maxima???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

300z turbo on a maxima???

I currently own 1990 240sx coupe but i am seriously considering buying a 91-93 maxima, but i have a few questions that i am having a hard time finding the answers to...
-my good buddy has two 300z turbos (84,86) will the turbo fit on a maxima
-what else will fit from any 300z, particularly the older ones because i can get all the parts for free or dirt cheap.
-apparently the V6 puts out 160hp, i've heard the 3rd gens also had a 190hp V6, is this true
-if so, which is better, i assume the 190hp car is alot heavier
-i absolutely must have 5pd manual, are the models different between gxe and se
-definately will be slammin' the car what should i do first

thanks for any help, i have more questions but i'll save them for later
Old 09-29-2001, 09:20 PM

Sorry for the length!!!

I love my max, but I will tell you it is gonna be much easier to mod your 240sx. I have many places now wroldwide that I can get many things for you from though including custom suspensions, Exhausts, Brakes, etc. As for the turbo from an '84-'86 Z-31 turbo it is not just a bolt on upgrade as you very well may already know unless you either have a z-31 vg30et engine swap, or you go get a custom y-pipe made and piping to the exhaust bracket of the turbo (not horribly expensive, several hundred dollars still though).

the 160hp engine you speak of is the VG30E which is a SOHC engine and is solid, with some more mods domestically available for it then the other 190hp VE30DE which is only found in the MAxima SE from '92-'94 (what I have in my '92 Maxima SE 5-speed). I personally strongly recomend the 5-speed VE30DE, just make sure to watch out for one thing and that is the dreaded VTC (Variable Timing Control ... similar to VTEC) failing. Signs are usually this dreaded ticking we all know to hate. However if you see a low milage 3rd Gen (92-94) Max 5-speed with good VTCs somewhere Jump on it, they are becoming hard to find.

off the subject kind of... > I am thinking of selling my 1992 Maxima 5-speed soon, if you are interested. I live in Lexington, KY, and would be more then happy to help you out in any way possible, and would be happy to give you any info you might like to know on my car as well if you are interested.

Jared

Jared

Originally posted by bing
I currently own 1990 240sx coupe but i am seriously considering buying a 91-93 maxima, but i have a few questions that i am having a hard time finding the answers to...
-what else will fit from any 300z, particularly the older ones because i can get all the parts for free or dirt cheap.
-apparently the V6 puts out 160hp, i've heard the 3rd gens also had a 190hp V6, is this true

Old 09-29-2001, 09:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks jared
Old 09-29-2001, 09:53 PM

Anytime!

Anytime Bing, where you from?

If you want my AIM is DJthrilla2 if you have AOl instant messenger, or hit me up on MSN messenger at ICONOCLAST_PROD@hotmail.com

thanks jared
Old 09-29-2001, 10:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

re: re

im canadian, by friend jeremy got me hooked on nissan, my first car was a crx, then i got my 240, it is a whole other world, nissan's are probably the best japanese cars out there.

jeremy has 3 300z's

one is a really sweet 86 turbo, all black, needless to say it's quick he parts out the others all over the country and i could get any of the part for next to nothing if they fit the maxima

that is one reason im interested in buying one,

im new to this whole email crap
cwong02@uoguelph.ca
Old 09-30-2001, 12:40 AM

Re: 300z turbo on a maxima???

I think you can fit the engine from an earlier FWD Z...I don't know if this was rumor or if it was fact. Only the SE models came in 5-spd options.

If it were up to me, I'd buy a SE /w the VG engine just because it has not had as many problems modding wise compared to the VE. There has been talk of a s/c for a VG engine too
Old 09-30-2001, 12:58 AM

Re: Re: 300z turbo on a maxima???

Originally posted by ngthing

I think you can fit the engine from an earlier FWD Z...I don't know if this was rumor or if it was fact.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i know a guy with a swap

there is a guy with a maxima that has a 300z tt motor it is in a mag super street it has nos new t4 turbos looks nice might smoke my honda i know it will beat my nissan
Old 09-30-2001, 08:03 AM

on www.boosted-maximas.net there is a red maxima with an engine swap. i asked the webmaster about it and this is what he said:

The engine in that car is a VG30ET from an 87 300zx turbo(with custom piping for the turbo location). The air scoop is also from a Z31(84-89 300zx) but I'm not sure of the year.

there r some pix of the red max and black 91 se with a turbo on the website
Old 09-30-2001, 12:26 PM

the black max is a guy named Hariison's that is the 91SE, and the webmaster is a guy that goes by Maxmamike, or Candiman on here and the 3rd Gen BBS. You can swap a 84-89 z31 turbo engine (vg30et) and it is not extremely hard, as for a skyline engine (RB25DET or a RB26DETT the phat one of the GTR), & a newer VG30dett is a rediciously tight fit, and requires loads of modding but also can be done supposedly.
Old 09-30-2001, 12:31 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by ICONOCLAST
Maxmamike, or Candiman on here and the 3rd Gen BBS.
Maximamike and Candiman are two different guys
Old 09-30-2001, 12:34 PM

dayum I was led to be a fool... oh well not the first or last time that will happen

thanks for the correction
Old 09-30-2001, 01:03 PM

at this whole thread. Seriously, some of you people should get your facts straight before posting.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:15 PM

laugh it up

I have my facts straight thanks very much! I am not some little snot nosed 16 year old, so don't even try to make me out to be one. No offense to 16 year olds!!

Jared

Originally posted by Z-rated
at this whole thread. Seriously, some of you people should get your facts straight before posting.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:53 PM

Re: laugh it up

I have my facts straight thanks very much! I am not some little snot nosed 16 year old, so don't even try to make me out to be one. No offense to 16 year olds!!

Jared
Not exactly. You are just a little confused. Let me help you out.. Here is your quote..
the black max is a guy named Hariison's that is the 91SE, and the webmaster is a guy that goes by Maxmamike, or Candiman on here and the 3rd Gen BBS. You can swap a 84-89 z31 turbo engine (vg30et) and it is not extremely hard, as for a skyline engine (RB25DET or a RB26DETT the phat one of the GTR), & a newer VG30dett is a rediciously tight fit, and requires loads of modding but also can be done supposedly.
First, the black max is not Harrison's. Harrison owns the red max. You are right about the webmaster being Maximamike.. but Candiman has nothing to do with the website.. he is another guy. I think someone mentioned this earlier. Your right that a VG30DETT motor is a tight fit but the RB25DET is easier to swap than the VG30DETT but much harder than a VG30ET swap. I think that clears up everything that you said. Some other people have issues though.. like hondaracer.. lol
Old 09-30-2001, 02:18 PM

Re: laugh it up

Jared

I must say that it is funny when newbies express their extreme regard for their own opinions. As one who actually has turbo'ed a maxima, you guys really don't know much. After all you guys are asking questions and people that have 'maximaniac' or 'maxima fanatic' or 'maxima obsessed' are giving you the right answers, not people that have 'lurker' or 'newbie' or 'maxima enthusiast'. No insult to newbies but show a little respect for people who have been doing this for a while. For one, I am not saying that it can't be done, but nobody as ever even been close to putting any RB engine in a maxima, and nobody has done the Z32 TT swap. What you'll see from the <15 turboed maximas in the USA, is custom jobs that took a lot of time, money and/or effort. The simplest swap is the VG30E-T to a VG powered maxima which several have done, but even that is custom and requires a lot of fabrication/custom work.
Old 09-30-2001, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

back on track

anyways....

i'm not going to do a swap, that is a little out of my league, if there are more mods out there for a 91' than there are for a 92' i may go for the 91', it will also cost less for the initial purchase,

-but what i really would like to know is (aside from the vtc) what should i be wary of

-what are the best engine mods to boost hp and overall engine peformance and health

-and an answer to the question, VE or VG and why? specs?
Old 09-30-2001, 03:40 PM

alright for the last time...

Just because my damnable name has a newbie next to it doesn't mean I am an idiot like some of your morons would like to believe. Second off, I don't admit to be all knowing or anything, this is a reason for why I do not post much (hince my newbie annoying *** status).

I am not gonna call anyone out or anything but I am far from the likes in smarts of so of the idiots that post on here sometimes.

Thanks

anyways....

i'm not going to do a swap, that is a little out of my league, if there are more mods out there for a 91' than there are for a 92' i may go for the 91', it will also cost less for the initial purchase,

-but what i really would like to know is (aside from the vtc) what should i be wary of

-what are the best engine mods to boost hp and overall engine peformance and health

-and an answer to the question, VE or VG and why? specs?
Old 09-30-2001, 04:36 PM

I feel so popular. My website, my name, and some of the cars on my website were mentioned. Yay for me!
Old 09-30-2001, 05:02 PM

Re: Re: laugh it up

Originally posted by Z-rated

Not exactly. You are just a little confused. Let me help you out.. Here is your quote..

First, the black max is not Harrison's. Harrison owns the red max. You are right about the webmaster being Maximamike.. but Candiman has nothing to do with the website.. he is another guy. I think someone mentioned this earlier. Your right that a VG30DETT motor is a tight fit but the RB25DET is easier to swap than the VG30DETT but much harder than a VG30ET swap. I think that clears up everything that you said. Some other people have issues though.. like hondaracer.. lol
its pretty funnny listeing to all the newbies talk about engine swaps.. before you post. plz get ur facts straight..
Old 10-01-2001, 08:39 AM

As I said I am not a newbie, I have been into car modding for many years thanks. Somebody please take this PITA newbie scheit status off me, cause this is flat lame.

Things like this make me want to totally give up on the Japanese car market also. Lame *** flaming and stupid scheit.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:49 AM

no love in here
Old 10-01-2001, 09:16 AM

I like the sig seguy182... that is a trip! It is true you know that a Stillen sticker adds 5hp

Jared
Old 10-01-2001, 09:30 AM

5HP!!! i didnt know that, the mental horsepower for a stillen sticker must be atleast 20mhp. but i would need something stillen on my car.......does stillen sell lugnuts...
Old 10-01-2001, 09:34 AM

true dat... I love my special lugs, spent 25 for the set, and have to take a ractive adapter.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:38 AM

$25, that stillen always charging more.....ill just put my stillen stickers on my wal mart lugs
Old 10-01-2001, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what have i done

Hey Jared, this was the first thread i started and it caused a whole bunch of stupid crap.

i would still like it if you could share some facts helping me distinguish between VE nad VG,

im searching all over locally for an SE 5spd, but they are really hard to find, all those old people bought auto's and died off, now their cars are the only ones to buy

-are all 92+ SE's the ones with 190hp?
Old 10-01-2001, 10:48 AM

92-94 se's are the 190hp engines, the 92-94 gxe's have the 160hp
Old 10-01-2001, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by SEguy182
92-94 se's are the 190hp engines, the 92-94 gxe's have the 160hp
i found 2 1991 SE's with 5spd. they seem okay

im canadian so we need certification and emission testing before we can register a new car, both these cars are form dealers with cert & E-tests and 1 and 2 year warranties, seems good to me, but should i hold out for a 92?
Old 10-01-2001, 11:12 AM

i have the vg engine, i like it, it pulls reasonably hard, it would just depend on preferences on getting the ve, if its a daily driver, i dont know if u would notice an hp diff. but for modding and stuff the extra power is nice from the ve.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just to be clear

VE (92-94) = 190hp
VG (91-) = 160hp

30 hp sounds like a huge diff.

i suppose i can get the intake, y-pipe, wires, high flow cat, exhaust
for both max's

is there an ecu upgrade?
i would also want to get a sexier front lower valance, where? $$$?
i would love to ba able to say i have 200+hp which is why 92+ is the way to go i think

it would be a daily driver, but slammed out like nothing, i got a $2000 system in my 240sx (3 matching Coustic amps, ininity 4x6, boston 6.5, JL12w3 jvc head w remote. i would be selling the car with the system and a perf muffler and high flow cat.

the system i would put in the max would be way better, i can get my hands on any car audio i want, and cheap...hot

dropping the suspension(obvious)and 16's or 17's are no prob.

i want low k's because an investment like this better last 3-4 years and still have decent mileage for resale.

this is gonna be the car that sets me apart, nobody i know even has a max, let alone a slammed one, thats why im so into it, i just wanna know all there is to know before i dish the bucks
Old 10-01-2001, 11:35 AM

jim wolfe has an ecu upgrade, and stillen has a body kit, but i dont have anyprices
Old 10-01-2001, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

jim wolfe has an ecu upgrade, and stillen has a body kit, but i dont have anyprices
i hear the jim wolfe chips were pretty expensive, i looked into it a bit for my 240 and it was outta my league,

i dont want to get a full body kit, im not a huge rice boy, just something to make the front end look a little sexier, i see from some pics that a few guys have something up front that looks kinda stock, thats the look i want.

ive been all over the net, and i cant seem to find any clear tails, that would be nutty, there are clear turns and stuff, but those are basic.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

If room is not a factor, I would just keep the 240sx. There are tons more mods for it. It looks like you haven't even scratched the surface in 240 mods. If you get one of the Japanese Silvia front ends, you will be pretty unique. Unless you live in S. Ca. or something. Then again, you can't be unique in Ca. for under $100,000
Old 10-01-2001, 11:44 AM

yea drop an sr20det in it, someguy did one here for about 4k on the engine and 1500 for installation/wiring/ and all..
Old 10-01-2001, 11:45 AM

that might be a waste, get a turbo and just over-boost the dog mess out of the ka24de and have a wrath of god turboed 240
Old 10-01-2001, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

that might be a waste, get a turbo and just over-boost the dog mess out of the ka24de and have a wrath of god turboed 240
i have been contemplating whether or not to slam out my 240, it is the coupe model which i think is way better, but the 90's only have 130 hp where as the 91+ have 155 stock, i am not he kind of guy to invest in an engine swap, i would love it but i dont have the know how to back my cash, if i slam a 240 it will be a 91+ coupe with leather because they also have the new style bumper and alloys, of course i would get new rims anyways.

my 240 does not have terrible mileage 170k, about 100 miles i think, so it will go strong for a while plus i prem gas it and oil change regularly, but i want a more powerful car stock so that i dont have to toy the engine way to much,

basically, i could jump a 91+ 240 from 155 to 175hp without serious stuff, just intake headers, high flow, pulleys, egnition, timing,and other small things, but if i did the same to my 90 240 it wouldnt be enough power for me

im just out for new car even though i have only had this one for 7 months, i want a newer, faster, sexier car with lower mileage to run with my friends 300z turbo, and my other friend who just went from a 98 eclipse gst (16"chrome, intake, exhaust, veilside+) to a 99 Gst triple black on tan leather, and will be keeping his rims and modding shortly,
my 240, even with 3-4000 invested will be hard to match up

thats why im thinking sedan, that way i can have the power but not be compared to the eclipse, plus a phat maxima is just awesome anyways.