3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clutch problem/question on a 93 SE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 06:26 AM
danintexas

Clutch problem/question on a 93 SE

The last few days my clutch has been acting weird. And I thought it just had something to do with the cold mornings but Im not so sure now. This car came from Wisconsin with me and it never did this before. But in the morning when I start it up the clutch feels very light and not very springy. When I tried to shift into the reverse this morning it wouldnt go and was making that nice grinding sound. I gave it a minute and started pumping the clutch. I noticed that I could feel the pedal pressure increasing while I was pumping it. I did this a few dozen times and then I shifted into reverse and it went just fine. It seemed like as I drove to work that the pressure increased again as I did more shifting than just driving along. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Old 10-16-2001, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Clutch problem/question on a 93 SE

Originally posted by danintexas
The last few days my clutch has been acting weird. And I thought it just had something to do with the cold mornings but Im not so sure now. This car came from Wisconsin with me and it never did this before. But in the morning when I start it up the clutch feels very light and not very springy. When I tried to shift into the reverse this morning it wouldnt go and was making that nice grinding sound. I gave it a minute and started pumping the clutch. I noticed that I could feel the pedal pressure increasing while I was pumping it. I did this a few dozen times and then I shifted into reverse and it went just fine. It seemed like as I drove to work that the pressure increased again as I did more shifting than just driving along. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
maybe air in the clutch lines? It can be bled almost in the same way you bleed the brakes so maybe give that a try

try searching (in the top right corner there is a link) for more info about that
Old 10-16-2001, 08:20 AM

Does the peddal stick to the floor and you have to pull it back up? That happened to me before and I have a 93' SE too and it was my slave cylinder that went bad. So maybe your slave cylinder has gone bad and you'll have to bleed the lines anyway when you replace that, if it is that! Just a thought!
Old 10-16-2001, 02:23 PM
STFU n00b!

step #1 is to bleed your lines and change ALL the fliud in it.. this isn't quite as easy as bleeding brakes, as the clutch master cylinder reservoir is tiny.. you have to pump 3-4 times, then refill.. if you ever suck air into it, then kiss the next 2 hours and a quart of brake fliud goodbye (don't ask how I know this ).

if that doesn't help the problem, then you'll need to rebuild or replace your brake master cylinder. the removal and rebuild, isn't hard but the biggest part is getting the air out of the lines again.. it took me about 2 HOURS of constant bleeding/pumping to get the air out of the lines..
FYI, a master cylinder rebuild kit is about $15 from most nissan dealers.. I'd try that before replacing a slave or master cylinder.
Old 10-16-2001, 05:22 PM

Check inside the rubber boot on the slave cylinder. If it's not all full of fluid, then your slave cylinder is probably OK. I bought a slave cylinder rebuild kit for around $5 from partsbin.com, so it's pretty cheap to eliminate that possibility. It does sound like air in the line, though.

Matt - I'm not sure why you had so much trouble getting the air out. After I replaced both slave & master, it only took 1/2 hour max to flush the whole system, and that was with also doing the 2nd bleeder screw (the one on the strut tower).
Old 10-19-2001, 06:01 AM
danintexas

Fixed problem

In case anyone was interested, it ended up being a leaky slave cylinder.