3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Leaking brake line

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Leaking brake line

I was driving the car today when I noticed the brakes weren't as strong....I looked under the car and saw some brake fluid on the ground....Looks to be a brake line is busted right below the drivers side seat. Anyone know for sure that this is the brake line?

Thanks

Last edited by 2k3TitaniumSe; 11-12-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 PM

there are 5 lines running along there, 2 brake and 3 fuel. if your brakes don't feel right it's likely one of those. pop the plastic cover off, have someone press the brake pedal and take a look. one of mine went awhile ago. it was only a 2 or 3 foot section of each line that was rusty, and the shop was able to cut out the bad sections, reflare the ends and put an intermediate piece in each line with new fittings, rather than replace the entire lines which is much more of a pain in the @ss. in hindsight i should have just bought the double flare tool and parts and done it myself.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cachejob
there are 5 lines running along there, 2 brake and 3 fuel. if your brakes don't feel right it's likely one of those. pop the plastic cover off, have someone press the brake pedal and take a look. one of mine went awhile ago. it was only a 2 or 3 foot section of each line that was rusty, and the shop was able to cut out the bad sections, reflare the ends and put an intermediate piece in each line with new fittings, rather than replace the entire lines which is much more of a pain in the @ss. in hindsight i should have just bought the double flare tool and parts and done it myself.
Yup it's definitely a brake line...I put more brake fluid in and when i tap the brakes, it just leaks all over. How difficult/ easy is it to remove this line as I need to take it out for autozone to match the size.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM

I don't know what state you are in, and I don't know if the laws are the same in every state, but I would like to caution you about splicing your brake lines as was suggested above. I was going to do that exact kind of repair on one of my cars many years ago. I happen to have a good friend who is an ASE Certified mechanic, and I ran the idea past him. He informed me that if I did a splice job on the brake lines, it wouldn't pass the annual safety inspection, and that I would need to replace the entire length of steel line.

Replacing brake lines doesn't require any extraordinary skill set, but they can be physically challenging. It is often difficult to accurately reproduce the factory bends, and more difficult to do so without kinking the line. You need to be very careful when cutting the line, and preparing the end of it to flare, because if you don't do it just right, the tube will split when you flare it. The flares need to be perfect too. Those lines hold back plenty of pressure, you don't want any leakage or failures. Finally, the fittings are often a pain to thread in, if the line isn't perfectly aligned with the hole that the fitting goes in, and in the exact right position.

If you take your time, it is a job that you can do by yourself, but you will need to allow plenty of time, buy extra brake line because you are almost certain the make mistakes, and make sure that you do everything 100% right. If you have the least bit of doubt as to whether you've done it right or not, consider it wrong and do it again.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 PM

if you need one i have. 7 shipped
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Does anyone kow how I can tell if it's the line under the drivers seat leaking or the Master Cylinder???
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but LOOK. That is pretty much the only way to tell. If things are all scummed up with fluid under there, try power washing the crud off, then get someone to push the brake pedal while you look with a flashlight.