3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bumper cover, OEM or cheapo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Bumper cover, OEM or cheapo?

When I get my tax return I want to have the hood repainted and replace the front bumper cover. Should I get bumper cover from Nissan or el cheapo aftermarket? A google search finds covers as cheap as $45 but I have a hunch from looking at these sites that the same products are being offered at different prices to appeal to different shoppers. For instance the exact same stock photos are used on covers costing $45 and $135 on different (but similar) sites.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the el cheapo for $25 bucks, so $45 is a rip off. Look for a place call Certifit (Located in Charlotte and Raleigh), they sell stuff there for quite cheap. One thing though, if you're going el cheapo, you will have a bit of fun nudging the thing in place to match up to the body line, other than that, I would recommend it.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
- Product of Maxima.org -

my rear bumper cover was an el cheapo ebay one, and it wasn't too bad. The only issue i had at all was fitting it up against the body at first, but once i got the little nuts started, it pulled itself in just fine.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:06 PM

i usually go the junkyard and just take one for like $10 or less. luckily i found one in the same exact color of my car and took it home, and its a Nissan OEM part. but it doesn't hurt to go the junkyard and feel lucky and find one in the same color as your car but if not just get one from Certifit.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:12 PM

I recomment Cerfifit. I got mine for $31 and it fit just fine. For all the Atlantans who aren't aware of it, there is a Certifit retailer in the Forest Park area on the southside of the city.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:35 PM
STFU n00b!

only ones I've found to fit PROPERLY are OEM bumpers. all of the aftermarket ones I've seen (and it's been several) don't fit around the turn signals properly, leaving a 1" or so overhang under the lights. ughly.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i usually go the junkyard and just take one for like $10 or less. luckily i found one in the same exact color of my car and took it home, and its a Nissan OEM part. but it doesn't hurt to go the junkyard and feel lucky and find one in the same color as your car but if not just get one from Certifit.
see i don't have this luxury. my local jy is $50 minimum and you can't pull a part yourself. they suck. my front bumper cover has a 3" crack in it right where it meets the sheetmetal just in front of the wheel well.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
mod or sell?

get an OE, the aftermarket pieces rarely fit or flex anywhere near as well. of course if money is an issue and you're replacing it to get rid of the car / pass inspection then get a n el cheapo. it worked for the sentra.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
see i don't have this luxury. my local jy is $50 minimum and you can't pull a part yourself. they suck. my front bumper cover has a 3" crack in it right where it meets the sheetmetal just in front of the wheel well.
yeah, i love it. i just got what seems to be brand new front driver side window/lock control switch from a '93 SE, gauge cluster, OEM corner lamps, and the whole dash trim piece with the clock and air vents for $80.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yeah, i love it. i just got what seems to be brand new front driver side window/lock control switch from a '93 SE, gauge cluster, OEM corner lamps, and the whole dash trim piece with the clock and air vents for $80.
i know there is another one around here.... but my 5spd swap stuff is at the one i mentioned. $550 for trans (already removed), $100 to tow/forklift the car to the front lot for me to gut as much stuff as i need off it, for a total of $650 plus whatever else it costs for a good clutch set.

but as for smaller stuff.... i paid freaking $75 for a USED window regulator. granted, my window was fixed 4 hours after it broke (including some random driving around the city between my bro's apt and my grandpa's house), but even so, I wish i'd known better. I'll never buy body stuff from them though. They wanted $35 for a used door hinge. WTF. Again this was LONG before i was on the Org so i paid the price, but now that i have you guys ... i can get stuff at a much more reasonable rate.

as for the bumper cover....... i'll have to look into getting one from the other JY because no way i'm paying $50 for a used OE one. besides the whole car is getting painted once i'm done spilling fluids on the paint (which will be... in a long time after it's modded how i want it). but i got to remember to ask them to tape off the dark part at the bottom. i like it.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Since a lot of insurance companies seem to be getting tighter on paying money out, a lot of body shops are using used parts and/or Certifit or Keystone parts. I havent had any problems with their bumpers or fenders at all. You can try to find a good used one at a junkyard, but be careful, because it could very well be an aftermarket part too.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by jspeter51
Since a lot of insurance companies seem to be getting tighter on paying money out, a lot of body shops are using used parts and/or Certifit or Keystone parts. I havent had any problems with their bumpers or fenders at all. You can try to find a good used one at a junkyard, but be careful, because it could very well be an aftermarket part too.
are the aftermarket ones two-tone like ours?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:40 PM

two-tone is from the paint process....do you think the body parts come painted to match your car for cheap?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ustfdes
two-tone is from the paint process....do you think the body parts come painted to match your car for cheap?
haha. naw i was only asking about the JY cars that potentially have aftermarket bumpers, if anyone has seen them. I don't know if most repainted 3rd gens under the ownership of people who don't care, maintain the two tone appearance or if I bought an aftermarket bumper off a JY car it would be all one color.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 PM

haha. naw i was only asking about the JY cars that potentially have aftermarket bumpers, if anyone has seen them. I don't know if most repainted 3rd gens under the ownership of people who don't care, maintain the two tone appearance or if I bought an aftermarket bumper off a JY car it would be all one color.

most likely, imo, if someone got a bumper replaced, and had the knowledge to get them on themselves, they have a decent chance of being painted to match....and if someone DIDN'T know how to install it, and had a shop put it on, it most likely got painted to match also, because it was up to the shop to paint it to match the rest of the car.

also, if it isn't two toned, find a rattle can of same color at the botom, and do it up yourself....dupli-color, well dupli-color's (duplicates colors) lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

STAY away from cheapo crap. I made the mistake of spending 27 bucks on certifit garbage. OEM used it still better than that aftermarket garbage. flimsy, not original, just bla!

Oh and Subway guy...a NEW door hinge at the DEALER is about 11 bucks so go tell them to cram those hinges where the sun doesnt shiine cuz you're getting them NEW.

Last edited by ColombianMax; 12-22-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BlooToof
STAY away from cheapo crap. I made the mistake of spending 27 bucks on certifit garbage. OEM used it still better than that aftermarket garbage. flimsy, not original, just bla!

Oh and Subway guy...a NEW door hinge at the DEALER is about 11 bucks so go tell them to cram those hinges where the sun doesnt shiine cuz you're getting them NEW.
Your Price: $14.97

yes yes... my days of getting raped by the JY are over. be online sometime tonight too... i wanted to talk to you about something last night but you weren't on. that or PM me your #

and i assume that there is such a thing as rattlecan clearcoat? which will comparably match the oem clearcoat?

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 12-23-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:07 PM

i know there is another one around here.... but my 5spd swap stuff is at the one i mentioned. $550 for trans (already removed), $100 to tow/forklift the car to the front lot for me to gut as much stuff as i need off it, for a total of $650 plus whatever else it costs for a good clutch set.

but as for smaller stuff.... i paid freaking $75 for a USED window regulator. granted, my window was fixed 4 hours after it broke (including some random driving around the city between my bro's apt and my grandpa's house), but even so, I wish i'd known better. I'll never buy body stuff from them though. They wanted $35 for a used door hinge. WTF. Again this was LONG before i was on the Org so i paid the price, but now that i have you guys ... i can get stuff at a much more reasonable rate.

as for the bumper cover....... i'll have to look into getting one from the other JY because no way i'm paying $50 for a used OE one. besides the whole car is getting painted once i'm done spilling fluids on the paint (which will be... in a long time after it's modded how i want it). but i got to remember to ask them to tape off the dark part at the bottom. i like it.
$550 for a trans already removed !!! good heavens man, i didn't even pay that much for an auto tranny back then. i paid about $250 for my last auto tranny and paid $100 for my 5-speed tranny back in '04 and the same for my spare 5-speed tranny last year. along with $50 for all the misc. parts that i needed for the conversion and $40 for an OEM clutch kit. but we all learn one way or another but damn thats just insane that you paid that much.

back on topic: stick to an OEM Nissan bumper cover. that is all.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM

$550 for a trans already removed !!! good heavens man, i didn't even pay that much for an auto tranny back then. i paid about $250 for my last auto tranny and paid $100 for my 5-speed tranny back in '04 and the same for my spare 5-speed tranny last year. along with $50 for all the misc. parts that i needed for the conversion and $40 for an OEM clutch kit. but we all learn one way or another but damn thats just insane that you paid that much.

Damn $550 for removed used? lol damn!!!! I got my rebuilt trans with 12month/12k mile warranty fpr $800.

Last edited by ColombianMax; 12-24-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i hate you all..... jk
where the HELL do you find this stuff? for serious. maybe raleigh just plain sucks, but i can tell you for damn sure that my local JY will charge $75 for a used bumper cover, and, well, $550 for a used tranny.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Alex_V

I can get a bumper cover for $40 or less at u-pull-it, and a trans for $75. Your junkyard just sucks.

~Alex

Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM

I got a aftermarket bumper cover. Not exact but very very close. Close enough for the price difference anyways. When I get my car painted it won't be two-toned anymore. Big difference in price.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:22 PM

i hate you all..... jk
where the HELL do you find this stuff? for serious. maybe raleigh just plain sucks, but i can tell you for damn sure that my local JY will charge $75 for a used bumper cover, and, well, $550 for a used tranny.
all your junkyards suck!!! j/k.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

i hate you all..... jk
There is a pull-a-part location about 160 miles from you in Charlotte.

http://www.pullapart.com/Locations/Main.aspx

Yeah, 160 miles may be a little far,but check out their prices first..

http://www.pullapart.com/Pricing/Main.aspx
Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

omgwtfbbqlolz

wow. yeah i was also looking at the VA Beach Picknpull and their prices were pretty good too. However the Pull A Part is both closer and cheaper. 166miles x 2 ways = 332 miles @ 24mpg = about 13.8 gallons x $3.10/gallon = $42.90 and i can DEFINITELY live with that.

Newest thing there is a 1994. 1 '94, 2 '93s, 5 '92s, 3 '91s, 5 '90s, and 2 '89s. <-- word.

Once again, Greeny saves the day.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 12-24-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:44 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

omgwtfbbqlolz

wow. yeah i was also looking at the VA Beach Picknpull and their prices were pretty good too. However the Pull A Part is both closer and cheaper. 166miles x 2 ways = 332 miles @ 24mpg = about 13.8 gallons x $3.10/gallon = $42.90 and i can DEFINITELY live with that.

Newest thing there is a 1994. 1 '94, 2 '93s, 5 '92s, 3 '91s, 5 '90s, and 2 '89s. <-- word.

Once again, Greeny saves the day.
If you decide to go there,let me know if there is any green 3rd's
Old 12-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

If you decide to go there,let me know if there is any green 3rd's
ibGreenyneedsOEMbumpercovertoo
Old 12-25-2007, 06:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ibGreenyneedsOEMbumpercovertoo
Ya..

And a d-side door/fender..
Old 12-25-2007, 07:20 AM
mod or sell?

Ya..

And a d-side door/fender..
and a driver
Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
and a driver
it wasn't my fault

but ya..
Old 12-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

hey, wayne, ya know any good ones near oklahoma city? everybody ive found is "we pull, u pay out the ..."
Old 12-25-2007, 08:07 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by benstoked
hey, wayne, ya know any good ones near oklahoma city? everybody ive found is "we pull, u pay out the ..."
Sorry,not that i know of..
Old 12-25-2007, 08:24 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
have you tried the phone book?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:25 AM
I can has?

have you tried the phone book?
What is this phone book you speak of?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
What is this phone book you speak of?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I can has?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view...rch+Businesses
Old 12-25-2007, 09:17 AM
mod or sell?

ya rly.
that is a phone book.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

its a book?
what i meant was are there any REPUTABLE jys that letme get pull what i want.
I'll call the pull-a-part in okc, and c what they got...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Wayne, I thought you already had those parts... I've come across MINT emerald green maxis countless times! By the way, I read you were in Chicago recently, did you drive your max?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:42 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Wayne, I thought you already had those parts... I've come across MINT emerald green maxis countless times! By the way, I read you were in Chicago recently, did you drive your max?
Naw,no green parts yet,but i am hopeful to find some soon(nashville pull-a-part)

Yeah,i drove my car,but it was not a social visit,sorry dude..