3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The swap is complete but I need some ideas....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
you might have hit on something there,the vg/ve pumps are different(fuel pressure wise),but I'm not sure if it's enough to prenting the car from starting/running..
I assume the VE has a lower pressure pump than the VG? Is that why the cost is so much different?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Mike90SE
I assume the VE has a lower pressure pump than the VG? Is that why the cost is so much different?

The other way around,the ve injectors have a higher flow rate,hence the need for a higher pressure pump.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM

The other way around,the ve injectors have a higher flow rate,hence the need for a higher pressure pump.

Well, that is what i would have guessed as the VE is considered more of a high performance engine, but why is the pump so much cheaper for the VE?

I am sure it isn't due to the fact that there are more VG's out there.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Well, that is what i would have guessed as the VE is considered more of a high performance engine, but why is the pump so much cheaper for the VE?

I am sure it isn't due to the fact that there are more VG's out there.
Well, I'm guessing, but having worked in/around the aerospace industry for almost thirty years, I can tell you that around 1990 or so there were a lot of materials formerly used by the military that started making their way into the automotive industry. As one example, Titanium has been around a long time, but was something you'd see in high-end Porsche's and Formula 1 cars for the most part. Now people are making custom headers and twin turbo exhaust systems out of the stuff with fair amount of regularity. My thoughts are, they found a cheaper, stronger way to build a fuel pump for higher pressure. Maybe a combination of improved materials science and design. One pump may look like a couple of rubber gears inside, pumping the fuel like an oil pump does. The high pressure version might look like a small roots type blower inside or the jet drive on a boat. Fewer parts, more efficient, cheaper to build, higher pressure.
BTW, isn't there an access port in the spare tire well that'll save him dropping the gas tank to change out the pump?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Mack531
BTW, isn't there an access port in the spare tire well that'll save him dropping the gas tank to change out the pump?
In most Japanese cars you almost never have to drop the tank unlike those expensive and time consuming Blazers, Astro vans, Suburbans, C/K1500+ and all those other darn Chevy's.

You just simply remove the bottom part of the rear seat by prying outward from underneath where passengers normally sit. Once seat is removed, just PB blast the rusty bolts and go real easy on em, Im referring to the either 8mm or 10mm ones under the main cover.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:44 AM

According to the FSM, if I looked at it correctly, the VG pump operates at 36psi and the VE is at 36.3psi. That doesn't sound like a huge difference, but I guess a difference is a difference.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by BlooToof
In most Japanese cars you almost never have to drop the tank unlike those expensive and time consuming Blazers, Astro vans, Suburbans, C/K1500+ and all those other darn Chevy's.

You just simply remove the bottom part of the rear seat by prying outward from underneath where passengers normally sit. Once seat is removed, just PB blast the rusty bolts and go real easy on em, Im referring to the either 8mm or 10mm ones under the main cover.
John is absolutely correct! Although I tried to remove mine right after the VG went South to get the full tank of gas out. I never succeeded getting the pump out like this, although I did get the gas out.

Are there any tricks to removing the pump???
Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

John is absolutely correct! Although I tried to remove mine right after the VG went South to get the full tank of gas out. I never succeeded getting the pump out like this, although I did get the gas out.

Are there any tricks to removing the pump???
---> http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327678
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 AM

Ok, I see where I messed up....I didn't remove the fuel lines first.

I did notice one difference between the one you were removing and mine though. Looks like the pump on yours has one electrical connector and mine has two. What's up with that???
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Ok, I see where I messed up....I didn't remove the fuel lines first.

I did notice one difference between the one you were removing and mine though. Looks like the pump on yours has one electrical connector and mine has two. What's up with that???
90 se difference?

Can you snap a pic for us?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ok i'm home from work now, the relay box on the PS side has a relay for ignition coil. The motor does not wizz over like its not getting fire, meaning it is getting fire. So it sounds like something to do with the fuel, possibly the liquid that is in the fuel injector connections causing them to short?? maybe?? i dunno??
Welp...after some testing on my ve(unplugged the coil relay)..It's seems that you should have swapped the entire electrical harness over from your donor car..yup...the whole thing..

btw...just for reference,this is the relay box you are talking about,right?

There might be a way to rig up the coils to fire without the entire engine bay harness being swapped over,but i am not exactly sure how it could be done.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 AM
mod or sell?

you guys are looking at fuel pressure (PSI) only, flow (GPH) also needs to be taken into account as well.
VE GPH: 50 Max PSI 85-90
VG GPH: 45-55 Max PSI 60-80

as you can see they do have different characteristics, but as to how interchangeable they are
Based on the above numbers a VG pump should be able to at least start and idle a VE, and probably work fine all the way up to about 3k.
but that is just my .02
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you guys are looking at fuel pressure (PSI) only, flow (GPH) also needs to be taken into account as well.

as you can see they do have different characteristics, but as to how interchangeable they are
Based on the above numbers a VG pump should be able to at least start and idle a VE, and probably work fine all the way up to about 3k.
but that is just my .02
I agree brian,the vg pump should be able to start and run the car without much issues,but some fuel starvation probably would occur at wot(wide open throttle)

Personally,i believe his starting problem is related to the coils not getting fire.

Last edited by Greeny; 01-23-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Sorry, I am at work right now and do not get to check on here often.

I will take a pic this evening of the two connectors I was referring to on the fuel pump when I get home this evening.

Welp...after some testing on my ve(unplugged the coil relay)..It's seems that you should have swapped the entire electrical harness over from your donor car..yup...the whole thing..

There might be a way to rig up the coils to fire without the entire engine bay harness being swapped over,but i am not exactly sure how it could be done.
Yes, that is the relay box I am referring to. I really don't want to rig anything up. I will just pull the rest of the harness and install it in mine. No big deal. LOL

but that is just my .02
I agree brian,the vg pump should be able to start and run the car without much issues,but some fuel starvation probably would occur at wot(wide open throttle)

Personally,i believe his starting problem is related to the coils not getting fire.
Brian: OK, I will also pull the fuel pump. Again, no big deal as I do have the donor car. THANK GOD!!! LOL

Wayne: I believe you are correct. I may be getting spark, but I may not be getting the right spark....if that makes sense....as I do not have the wiring harness correct. This will probably make my fans run all the time as the ECU thinks it the motor has a serious error and is trying to go into FAILSAFE MODE or what the FSM called it. Anywho, I probably will not get to actually work on the car until this weekend, but I think you guys have got me in the right direction.

I will post the requested pic tonight.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 PM

but that is just my .02

Took the words right outta my mouth! I think the spark coil circuit has to be included, but it also occurred to me that both engines have a pressure regulator valve downstream of the injector rails, right? If the VE engine is only getting the kind of pressure provided by a VG pump, will this throw off the pressurize/depressurize activation points of the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve, and thus not allow sufficient injector pressure to operate?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Took the words right outta my mouth! I think the spark coil circuit has to be included, but it also occurred to me that both engines have a pressure regulator valve downstream of the injector rails, right? If the VE engine is only getting the kind of pressure provided by a VG pump, will this throw off the pressurize/depressurize activation points of the Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve, and thus not allow sufficient injector pressure to operate?
Once again,possible,but the vg/ve pumps are so close in pressure specs,i honestly doubt this would have much if any effect in the scheme of things concerning the problems with the op's(original poster) issue with his no start issue.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

if you can, next time you can start your car, have the someone listen to the pump when you turn the key to the "on" position. you (or the other person) should be able to hear it whine as if its working. that can rule out lack of power to the pump.
also double check for spark as suggested before.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
if you can, next time you can start your car, have the someone listen to the pump when you turn the key to the "on" position. you (or the other person) should be able to hear it whine as if its working. that can rule out lack of power to the pump.
also double check for spark as suggested before.
The fuel pump is definitely working. I.E., you can hear it whine.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM

I got home tonight and went outside and took some pics just for Hectic. LOL JK

Anyway, I am running Vista on my computer and the Microsoft image resizer does not work with Vitsa. Just another reason to hate 'The Man' LOL

Does anyone know of a resizer that will work for me?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I got home tonight and went outside and took some pics just for Hectic. LOL JK

Anyway, I am running Vista on my computer and the Microsoft image resizer does not work with Vitsa. Just another reason to hate 'The Man' LOL

Does anyone know of a resizer that will work for me?
you could use this--> http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/al...37f58cda&ID=10

Or get a photobucket acct. you can resize pictures in your photobucket acct.

Or just post the pics and i will resize them for you..
Old 01-23-2008, 09:13 PM

you could use this--> http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/al...37f58cda&ID=10

Or get a photobucket acct. you can resize pictures in your photobucket acct.

Or just post the pics and i will resize them for you..
I found a resizer that works great! I will add to your thread on how to post a pic after I get the pics posted.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 PM

90 se difference?

Can you snap a pic for us?

First off, overlook the dirt/nastiness of the car. It is my DD and I have not had the time to clean her as I should.

Here is a pic of the fuel pump cover. You can tell I have two sets of wires coming from the cover. Both of these go to the fuel pump.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

How does it look under the cover?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Heh, man I believe you, i'm not gonna go hunting down people making sure you did it or not. I was half joking in asking for pics. No need to post pics of the remains, mid swap pics would be nice though. Taking pics during big projects is a good thing to do IMO, it allows you to take a look back at all the hard work you put into projects after the fact.. But I agree, it can be tough to stop and take the pics while you're in the middle of a project. Smoke breaks are a good time for that though..
Here is somewhat some kind of proof....

Again, please overlook the nastiness here...I will clean it up once it is running.

Pic of the VE in my VG engine bay...

Pic of the VG sitting on the drive...

Another pic of the VG on the drive...

Decent pic of the VE in the VG bay...

more to follow....................
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM

more pics as promised.....

pic from the PS of the car.......

If you blow this one up you can see where it says it is supposed to be a VG....

Pic of my poor baby just waiting to carry me around again......

Last edited by Mike90SE; 01-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM

How does it look under the cover?
That will be something I will have to take a pic of tomorrow or Saturday. Best I remember, the connectors go straight down from where they go through the cover. I will verify either tomorrow or Saturday and let you know.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM

Here is a pic of where my relay box should be.......
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Oh, as you can tell, my cooling system on the VG was not the greatest in the world.

The radiator had started leaking pretty badly and the VE's system was in really good shape (no rust and does not leak) so I swapped them.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Oh! If you look in the background of the pic I posted of the body of my car you can see the donor car back there.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM

Brian, I swapped the complete harness. I did not want to do any splicing and I succeeded in that.
Again, I did swap the entire harness between the enigine and the ECU to avoid splicing. Heck, I even went as far as to swap AC compressors because the electrical connector was different between them.
Something else comes to mind.....
On the 90VG, there is one fusebox under the hood. On the 93VE there is like three under there. If I have to swap the harness to get all of the fuseboxes, that will mean the ENTIRE freaking harness for the car will have to be swapped. .
Question: If you swapped "the entire harness" how can the circuit for the ignition coils be somewhere else? Wouldn't you have to cut somethin' somewhere to not include it? What did you cut out or not include besides the fuse/relay box next to the power steering reservoir? The electronics for the ABS system?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM

Question: If you swapped "the entire harness" how can the circuit for the ignition coils be somewhere else? Wouldn't you have to cut somethin' somewhere to not include it? What did you cut out or not include besides the fuse/relay box next to the power steering reservoir? The electronics for the ABS system?
Look in the FSM....you will see where the harness actually goes to the engine bay from both the drivers side and also the passenger side.

Everyone I had talked to for advice before doing the swap thought all you needed was from the passenger side as it goes to the ECU.

Now, after doing the swap and not being able to get it cranked and with the deductive help of everyone here, the ENTIRE harness must be swapped. The relay box for the ignition coils comes from the DS of the harness.

If you have read all of the posts in this thread, you will see where I said that I did not and did not want to do any splicing.

The ABS is factory in the 90SE, but I may have to lose it as the 93SE does not have it.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM

could it have to do with the 1 or 2 relays in the trunk fsm pg EL-190
its shows green=fuel pump relay....
and orange=safety relay(vg model)vg only? and why?
just bringing it up because no one else did
but if hes doing a ve in a vg car it should have both?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM

as far as fuel pump price differences...
arent some the whole assembly(float,pickup bag,pump mount etc)
and some have you remove and swap the pump part only ?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maximagician
could it have to do with the 1 or 2 relays in the trunk fsm pg EL-190
its shows green=fuel pump relay....
and orange=safety relay(vg model)vg only? and why?
just bringing it up because no one else did
but if hes doing a ve in a vg car it should have both?
Originally Posted by maximagician
as far as fuel pump price differences...
arent some the whole assembly(float,pickup bag,pump mount etc)
and some have you remove and swap the pump part only ?
His issue is most likely a spark issue,not a fuel issue that is preventing the car from running,if you will look at my post about the coil relay on the passenger side of the car,you will see that my car would not start with the relay unplugged,chances are with his car not even having the relay or the whole relay box and wiring installed,must be the reason why the car will not run.

Last edited by Greeny; 01-24-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can probably fool the ECU into thinking that the relay is there and engaged, just cross a few wires.

I'm no expert at these diagrams, but to me it looks like you need to put +12 on pin 16, and ground pin 45 to give the condition of a closed relay.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mikekantor
You can probably fool the ECU into thinking that the relay is there and engaged, just cross a few wires.

I'm no expert at these diagrams, but to me it looks like you need to put +12 on pin 16, and ground pin 45 to give the condition of a closed relay.

[img]http://www.mikekantor.com/forums/EC-160.gif[img]
I don't think that will work,I believe the ecu only controls the spark time of the coils,not their power source,which is what the relay and it's wiring if for..
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM

I don't think that will work,I believe the ecu only controls the spark time of the coils,not their power source,which is what the relay and it's wiring if for..
this is his son, we're just planning on swapping the rest of the harness over so that relay will be there, then swap fuel pumps, and HOPEFULLY that'll fix the problem, cause personally i'm ready to hear the thing run lol
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Then also ground the negative wires of the coil harnesses, because the ECU just sends +

Last edited by mikekantor; 01-24-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghostridden
this is his son, we're just planning on swapping the rest of the harness over so that relay will be there, then swap fuel pumps, and HOPEFULLY that'll fix the problem, cause personally i'm ready to hear the thing run lol
well... you've gone this far, might as well follow through
Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ghostridden
Yeah,it's probably best to this the right way and swap everything over that has to do with the ve,instead of rigging stuff up to work..

Quick Reply: The swap is complete but I need some ideas....