3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The swap is complete but I need some ideas....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
TAKE EM OFF! TAKE EM OFF! TAKE EM OFF! get the chant going! just kidding, I do agree though and would love to see it drive. mmmm VQ35 in my 3rd and 4th gens sounds so nice about now...
i'd rather go turbo than 3.5.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
why? just want to know.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Why?

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
why? just want to know.
I concur
Old 09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I concur
indubitably

i'm guessing because smaller turbo'd engine uses less gas for daily driving than larger n/a engine?

so then would a turbo vq30 be the real deal for you, brian?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
why? just want to know.
Why?

I concur
Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
indubitably

i'm guessing because smaller turbo'd engine uses less gas for daily driving than larger n/a engine?

so then would a turbo vq30 be the real deal for you, brian?
Jared has it right. I'd rather have less displacement so I can get better mileage until I hammer it to build boost.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dunno if I buy this. A larger engine makes more torque by virtue of it's geometry (increased cylinder volume as well but not the primary reason) and thus doesn't necessarily need to swallow as much air to match the torque output of the smaller engine at a given throttle position. Especially when you're dealing with a relatively small 3.0 to 3.5 jump.

Not to mention how much lighter a VQ35 is than a VG/VE. Significantly lighter engine = lighter car = better gas mileage (and handling).

Last edited by nismology; 09-03-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by nismology
I dunno if I buy this. A larger engine makes more torque by virtue of it's geometry (increased cylinder volume as well but not the primary reason) and thus doesn't necessarily need to swallow as much air to match the torque output of the smaller engine at a given throttle position. Especially when you're dealing with a relatively small 3.0 to 3.5 jump.

Not to mention how much lighter a VQ35 is than a VG/VE. Significantly lighter engine = lighter car = better gas mileage (and handling).
well if I had a $10k budget for an engine package I'd put in a VQ30DET. I don't really have a legitimate reason WHY... but to me there's just something cooler about a 3.0 vs a 3.5.... i guess on a 3.5 making big power is "too easy" or "cheating" or "well of course you have that kind of power.. you have a big engine!". With a 3.0 it's like "holy crap you are making good power out of that thing"
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM

^ I know what you mean. I used to think the SAME EXACT way when I first read about the possibility of a 3.5 swap into an A32; "boosted 3.0 >>> n/a 3.5" "it's just bigger" etc etc. But then I read about all the improvements the VQ35 has over the VQ30. I'm a believer.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 AM
mod or sell?

you don't have to believe it, but it is. the reason that OEMs use turbos on smaller engines to make HP is because although you lose the initial torque of a higher displacement engine you will still have (under boost) the hp. boost is not always present, and the cars engine sensor detect when it is. when under boost the computer ADDS fuel proportionally. when boost is not present, the computer does not add that fuel which means less is used.

a VQ35 is not that much lighter than VG/VE motor. 100lbs or so IIRC.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Yup, you see that especially in Europe. TINY little turbocharged engines, incredible gas mileage
Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

you don't have to believe it, but it is. the reason that OEMs use turbos on smaller engines to make HP is because although you lose the initial torque of a higher displacement engine you will still have (under boost) the hp. boost is not always present, and the cars engine sensor detect when it is. when under boost the computer ADDS fuel proportionally. when boost is not present, the computer does not add that fuel which means less is used.

a VQ35 is not that much lighter than VG/VE motor. 100lbs or so IIRC.

the..... engine sensor? you mean the MAF? boost pressure sensor?

sorry.. i lawled when i read "engine sensor"
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Yup, you see that especially in Europe. TINY little turbocharged engines, incredible gas mileage
Those are small 4 cylinders, not 3.0 liter V6's. Big difference.

internetautomar: I believe you are oversimplifying things. There's more to it than that. A smaller engine, turbocharged or not, doesn't guarantee better gas mileage. Just look at Evo's and STi/WRX's....

There's overall intake/exhaust port efficiency, weight of reciprocating parts, the total friction of all the moving parts, volumetric efficiency @ highway cruising speeds, how much pumping loss the turbo causes (turbo HP is not free), combustion chamber design, valve included angle which helps determine how much swirl the fuel/air mixture has when entering the chamber, injector size/design (turbo motors require larger injectors which might not atomize the fuel as well as smaller, stock'ish injectors) etc. All that stuff matters too.

Fact: People that swap VQ35's into their A32's do not see a drop in gas mileage based solely on the increase in engine displacement. In fact, some have seen mileage go up slightly.

P.S.: A VQ35 sans accessories and exhaust manifolds weighs in around 315 pounds. Anybody weighed a VE/VG? Just curious...

Last edited by nismology; 09-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
mod or sell?

the..... engine sensor? you mean the MAF? boost pressure sensor?

sorry.. i lawled when i read "engine sensor"
MAP/boost sensor
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
mod or sell?

Those are small 4 cylinders, not 3.0 liter V6's. Big difference.

internetautomar: I believe you are oversimplifying things. There's more to it than that. A smaller engine, turbocharged or not, doesn't guarantee better gas mileage. Just look at Evo's and STi/WRX's....

There's overall intake/exhaust port efficiency, weight of reciprocating parts, the total friction of all the moving parts, volumetric efficiency @ highway cruising speeds, how much pumping loss the turbo causes (turbo HP is not free), combustion chamber design, valve included angle which helps determine how much swirl the fuel/air mixture has when entering the chamber, injector size/design (turbo motors require larger injectors which might not atomize the fuel as well as smaller, stock'ish injectors) etc. All that stuff matters too.

Fact: People that swap VQ35's into their A32's do not see a drop in gas mileage based solely on the increase in engine displacement. In fact, some have seen mileage go up slightly.

P.S.: A VQ35 sans accessories and exhaust manifolds weighs in around 315 pounds. Anybody weighed a VE/VG? Just curious...
on an EVO/STi they build boost from idle. if one can stay out of high boost they can get good mpg.
my brother got 24 mpg city out of my parents V6 malibu.

part of the reason the people have seen mpg go up is because they aren't pushing the car as hard to make it achieve the same speeds.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:17 AM

on an EVO/STi they build boost from idle. if one can stay out of high boost they can get good mpg.
They don't really build boost from idle. Even the stock turbo's don't come online until 2500-3 grand'ish. Regardless, gas mileage is typically bad for them, even at highway cruising. Like I said, turbo HP isn't free (pumping losses) and the large injectors these turbo 4's need isn't conducive to great mileage.

my brother got 24 mpg city out of my parents V6 malibu.
Alright.

part of the reason the people have seen mpg go up is because they aren't pushing the car as hard to make it achieve the same speeds.
I said the same exact thing in post #246. Thanks for agreeing. But again, at the throttle positions we're talking about, a VQ35 isn't swallowing much more than a 3.0. Not enough to reduce MPG on it's own. The thinking that "if it's bigger it must automatically use more gas" is false and conjecture, at best.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
mod or sell?

I said the same exact thing in post #246. Thanks for agreeing. But again, at the throttle positions we're talking about, a VQ35 isn't swallowing much more than a 3.0. Not enough to reduce MPG on it's own. The thinking that "if it's bigger it must automatically use more gas" is false and conjecture, at best.
you are correct, but a smaller displacement motor can always do better on MPG all other things being equal.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM

so your saying if i go to a junkyard and pull the engine and 5spd tranny together with axles and wiring harness. If i just drop it in and plug everything in correctly it will work?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Funambulus
so your saying if i go to a junkyard and pull the engine and 5spd tranny together with axles and wiring harness. If i just drop it in and plug everything in correctly it will work?
for a VE swap? well you're gonna need to get either the hubs off the VE, or get the outer joints of your VG axles put onto the VE inner+shaft. Your car, being a 93, will have less electrical fixes to do since you already have a time control unit as opposed to my car, which has more individualized controllers and such cuz it's a 90. I forget what year they switched that... gut says 92 but i'm not sure. there may be a few other components that you'd have to switch to get the VE engine to work right though, like the ac piping is different on the VE i think.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Funambulus
for a VE swap? well you're gonna need to get either the hubs off the VE, or get the outer joints of your VG axles put onto the VE inner+shaft. Your car, being a 93, will have less electrical fixes to do since you already have a time control unit as opposed to my car, which has more individualized controllers and such cuz it's a 90. I forget what year they switched that... gut says 92 but i'm not sure. there may be a few other components that you'd have to switch to get the VE engine to work right though, like the ac piping is different on the VE i think.
ya DO DAT....its a pain in de *** if u mixed VE VG axles.....i have da same driver side axle problem....i donoo wat on the earth i have in my car but i have a VE engine but i don have a LSD tranny....so i have to get inner joint from the VG axle and leave the outter joint like that so it can fit VE hub.....i have to customize it DAMMIT...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
ya DO DAT....its a pain in de *** if u mixed VE VG axles.....i have da same driver side axle problem....i donoo wat on the earth i have in my car but i have a VE engine but i don have a LSD tranny....so i have to get inner joint from the VG axle and leave the outter joint like that so it can fit VE hub.....i have to customize it DAMMIT...
just get hubs off a VG and call it a day
Old 10-04-2008, 05:55 PM

just get hubs off a VG and call it a day
is it safe to drive with one hub from VG and all other three are VE's? i thought VG has smaller hubs than VE?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

is it safe to drive with one hub from VG and all other three are VE's? i thought VG has smaller hubs than VE?
The difference is not that much. The guy that started this thread has vg axles on his car, daily driver car.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the splines in the middle are smaller. the other stuff is all the same, size-wise. your car won't be leaning or anything...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
The difference is not that much. The guy that started this thread has vg axles on his car, daily driver car.
the splines in the middle are smaller. the other stuff is all the same, size-wise. your car won't be leaning or anything...
any effects on ABS? cuz i know last i time i bought 1992 NISSAN MAXIMA SE AUTO DRIVER SIDE AXLE WITHOUT TRACTION CONTROL ( idiots ) AND WITH ABS, outer joint was too small for VE hubs that ABS sensor wouldn't read...now i will have to buy the whole hub and axle with ABS from VG right?......cant i jus change the inner transaxle side AXLE joint with VG? and leave the outer the way it is so i wont have to change the hubs?....
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 AM

Reviving the thread

Is it worth swapping a VE into a pre 92 Max. Reading the thread it's obviously harder to do than swapping in an VQ35 into a 92 and up Max SE because of closer electrical compatibility. Did the guy ever get the issues sorted out, seems like he stop posting when the thread got too noisy with that dude jacking the thread with his ground breaking VQ35de swap instead of starting his own. And they let him. Anyway I have a few questions. Did the OP swap the harness that goes from the SMJ to the steering and a few other places, he probably didn't swap the airbag setup (though it can be done albeit with difficulty) did he swap the steering assembly (which makes sense to me). Did he swap the water **** solenoid valve. The AC piping is different and drilling is needed in at least two placed in the engine bay. The write up should have been revised. I think.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 03-18-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Greeny
good luck with that...
I think I saw Aaron92se running around with a VQ in his
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM

I'm gonna go yank the engine room harness from the VE in a few.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Mission accomplished...ran out of time or I would've put it into the VG shell. The weather was great and I was in no hurry so even though it's tedious work, it felt ok.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 03-22-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 AM

Anyway I transplanted the 92 harnesses in the 90 shell. Everything works except the indicators. The hazard light works but the alarm is going off. The engine is not in yet as I want to get the electrical problems squared away first. I'm swapping the steering assembly along with the SMJ harness that goes to it. I also have a hard copy 1990 FSM en route.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Anyway I transplanted the 92 harnesses in the 90 shell. Everything works except the indicators. The hazard light works but the alarm is going off. The engine is not in yet as I want to get the electrical problems squared away first. I'm swapping the steering assembly along with the SMJ harness that goes to it. I also have a hard copy 1990 FSM en route.
somewhere in this thread they addressed what wires you need to cross in order for the indicators to work. i think it's a few pages back. or maybe it was another thread? i dunno..

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM

somewhere in this thread they addressed what wires you need to cross in order for the indicators to work. i think it's a few pages back. or maybe it was another thread? i dunno..
That's why I'm swapping the entire steering assembly because of the big difference between two.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
That's why I'm swapping the entire steering assembly because of the big difference between two.
.. steering assembly? it's an electrical thing, not a mechanical thing. all you have to do is splice this-and-that wire and it will work.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

.. steering assembly? it's an electrical thing, not a mechanical thing. all you have to do is splice this-and-that wire and it will work.
Yesterday:

You're right...I'm tracing the horn, turn signal and ASCD wires into the SMJ plug then connect it like it is on the VG harness.

Today:

Found them. For the indicator...two pins need to be put into the SMJ connector on the VE harness. For the horn and ASCD...I'll have to splice on the VG connector.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 04-10-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 PM

A Few more Things

Fuel pump circuit and connector is different. Have to swap the cooling unit to make the hose from the AC compressor bolt up because of size differences. I have a hard copy 1990 FSM in hand and a 1992 version on the way. You need precise info if you're gonna smash the VE into the VG and expect it to work right. I think. I am taking pics of the process so the next shmuck won't fall for the oversimplified writeup the way I did.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 04-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.