3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine models that may fit the SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
the stanza and maxima transmissions are very similar other than the bell housing bolt pattern is different, KA - VG. From what i can find, there never was an AWD stanza however. The only awd cars similar that i can find would be the Pulsar GTIR or the axxes mini mini van. All of these awd transmissions share many dimensions with the maxima 5 spds, Only there a different bell housing bolt patterns and they have a transfer case bolted on.
Stanza Wagon had 4WD, it was my dad's first car when he moved to the US, and served us very well way past the 200s... until rust killed it. I still see a few on the road sometimes.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Stanza Wagon had 4WD, it was my dad's first car when he moved to the US, and served us very well way past the 200s... until rust killed it. I still see a few on the road sometimes.
4wd isn't the same as awd
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

wow, i am suprised this thread has actually COME THIS FAR, what with all the negativity on one side, and UNUSUAL IDEAS on the other. yay, go .org!

matt, does this guy (OP) sound like a noob? i mean, he is using PUNCTUATION! he is NOT using run-on sentences. He is actually breaking it up into paragraphs! and plus he knows what he is talking about, more than MOST people that are here and have been her for a lot longer time.

he brought more information to the table himself, than he received in return. interestingly enough, more noobs bring less, and get more, than this guy.

sorry for the off-topic rant, but it is a terrible 3rd gen forum speedbump that needs to be x-ed. for the love of all that is good, this isn't a political or religious forums, so closed-mindedness should not be welcome. ;X

i still love you matt.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by 505max94se
4wd isn't the same as awd

in either application, all 4 wheels drive right?

haha, just kidding, there is a big difference.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ustfdes
in either application, all 4 wheels drive right?

haha, just kidding, there is a big difference.

back on topic.

As is always said, anything is possible with imagination, money, and knowledge.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Why would calling a block, that only comes in a FWD vehicle, a FWD block bother you? I know an engine is an engine and it can be used anyway that you'd like, but car companies typically cast a different block for fwd because the mounts are usually closer to the front of engine and other reasons.
Are you guys serious? No car company makes different blocks, designated with the same engine code, for different applications. They all use one casting and different engine mounts bolted to the same block. It is not cost effective to produce multiples of the same block. It is cost effective to produce different mounts though. A VG30 is a VG30 is a VG30. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is in. And that goes for different engine designations as well. When they change the casting they change the engine code as well. If you guys doubt me, prove me wrong, find me an engine block with one factory code and two different castings designated for specific applications
Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
mod or sell?

wrong.
it was not uncommon in the old days for there to be 2 seperate blocks for automatic and manual transmission.
in todays manufacturing environment it is a cakewalk to to change a little something like a mounting pad to a different location because application a. needs it to the right and application b. needs it to the left.

Chevy had 2 different 5.3 V8 motors last year. 1 was in the impala and FWD the other was in trucks and RWD. they are not interchangeable
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Not being an *** or anything, I am just curious. What are you sources on this fact? I was on the same page as jonmandude.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Are you guys serious? No car company makes different blocks, designated with the same engine code, for different applications. They all use one casting and different engine mounts bolted to the same block. It is not cost effective to produce multiples of the same block. It is cost effective to produce different mounts though. A VG30 is a VG30 is a VG30. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is in. And that goes for different engine designations as well. When they change the casting they change the engine code as well. If you guys doubt me, prove me wrong, find me an engine block with one factory code and two different castings designated for specific applications
As internetautomar said, your're wrong. For example, a fwd vq35de will not bolt up to '02-'06 350z mounts (the '02-'06 350z has a rwd vq35de) and vice versa...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Pretty sure B12 Sentra's came in AWD.

Someone converted stuff from it, to a B13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8bAariYtBw

Thats a good example of an improbable idea that got sunk into the rear and the engine bay. I dunno how or if he cross braced the chassis because that was quite a bit of torque there. Very curious to know what he pulled to jam in the back, but some of it looks like custom fab.

Last edited by TimberJon; 02-05-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
Not being an *** or anything, I am just curious. What are you sources on this fact? I was on the same page as jonmandude.
the OEM...
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Did you just skip my post? Because its FACT that the VQ35DE has a FWD block with the mounts moved closer the flywheel and the RWD blocks have it closer to the center.

Both are VQ35DEs, same cams, same heads, same pistons, just FWD/RWD blocks.

~Alex

Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Im not even going to read all the previous posts in this thread but here's my suggestion for a 93-94 SE and I KNOW that this will fit:

VE30DE

I'm sure there are a few pics out there to prove that one!!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Did you just skip my post? Because its FACT that the VQ35DE has a FWD block with the mounts moved closer the flywheel and the RWD blocks have it closer to the center.

~Alex
Both are VQ35DE's and both are the same casting just different mounts. Same block, same factory code. If you just change the mounts they both are the same casting. try again.

And Chevy may have different blocks that meassure the same dimensions but they have different engine catalog codes. That is my point.

Last edited by jonmandude; 02-06-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
mod or sell?

Alex's point is the mounting that is cast into the block is different not the mount that bolts to it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 AM

OK I will concede that there is two castings for that one engine, but I will guarantee you that there is a different catalog number at Nissan for each block.

Also are you telling me that if you connected a RWD transmission to your "FWD" engine that it would not run? Maybe you would have to make new motor mounts but the engine still would not care. My point is that the transmission decides RWD or FWD not the engine. The engine is just an engine.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Alright guys, I'm gonna have to say...lets take this discussion to maxus It'll make it a more interesting meet where an interesting topic is being discussed in an adult manner

So now that we kind of got a bit of a stanza small talk going on as well, I wanted to ask those who've messed around a bit. Can a VLSD (VE5) trans off a maxima bolt on in a Stanza? Thats what our plan was for my friends Stanza if it were a direct swap.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:19 AM
mod or sell?

I've got no clue when the next Maxus meeting is though...
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I meant at the meet and greet at the Maxus
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_V

~Alex

Last edited by 505max94se; 02-06-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
mod or sell?

Last edited by internetautomar; 02-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Last edited by 505max94se; 02-06-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
mod or sell?

I edited mine too.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So now that we kind of got a bit of a stanza small talk going on as well, I wanted to ask those who've messed around a bit. Can a VLSD (VE5) trans off a maxima bolt on in a Stanza? Thats what our plan was for my friends Stanza if it were a direct swap.
No it wont bolt in, however, I believe that certain stanzas came with factory lsd. i do not know that for a fact but i heard a time or two. If it is true, then i would guess they would have the same internals as the VE5spd trans
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 AM

I was referring to a VE to VG head swap...
Biggest difference is the SOHC VG has 13 head bolts. yes 13....Thats why its so tough. The DOHC has 6 or 8. And they are in completely different locations. how can you tell if or how can i tell if i have the DOHC or SOHC.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM

i thought the only diff. in the VE and the VG was the heads having diff. angles. is the diff. in DOHC and SOHC the 12 valve and 24 valve. sorry for being such a newb. please dont beat on me too bad.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Thanatos
i thought the only diff. in the VE and the VG was the heads having diff. angles. is the diff. in DOHC and SOHC the 12 valve and 24 valve. sorry for being such a newb. please dont beat on me too bad.
Ok.I did a search on the DOCH ans SOCH thing and found my answer. i have the DOHC 24 valve dual cam VE. Sorry for the interruption.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Last edited by TimberJon; 02-07-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ustfdes
...he is using PUNCTUATION! he is NOT using run-on sentences. He is actually breaking it up into paragraphs! and plus he knows what he is talking about, more than MOST people that are here and have been her for a lot longer time.

he brought more information to the table himself, than he received in return. interestingly enough, more noobs bring less, and get more, than this guy.

i still love you matt.
Thank you, but..

Wow. Who's the lemming now?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

heres an idea

why are you putting a new, expensive engine in that old car when it will require more fabrication and work than one of those cars will cost?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by gavin98
heres an idea

why are you putting a new, expensive engine in that old car when it will require more fabrication and work than one of those cars will cost?
because people have illogical attachments to inanimate objects
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gavin98
heres an idea

to be different, hopefully put a good, high power engine in, to prove it can be done, ya-de-ya.
(and thats exactly what half this thread has said, with the other half saying "meh, do it")
Old 02-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Aye. To not be a lemming and purchase and mod the same car everyone else has with all the same components. To have a unique one-of-a-kind vehicle with unique one-of-a-kind parts. Because I love the look of my Maxima. Because I DON'T like how the newer transmissions decrease or limit acceleration, attempt to increase fuel efficiency, limit the vehicles top speed, Etc.. Or fall apart. Not to say my current engine is NOT falling apart.. which is another reason to upgrade and polish the thing later.

I'd rather put some money into my bucket to make it run better than one of those other cars than actually BUY one of those cars.

Primary reason: Just to keep the car for a long time. My father gave it to me, it was my first ride, Havn't owned anything else since then. Married a woman that owns the same car (GXE). Father loved cars and had owned just about everything from Stangs, Chevelles, Rivies and Jaguars. He would probably not want to modify the hell out of this car, but he wanted me to have fun with it and so I want to make the Megaswap and mods a tribute to him.

A unique situation with unique goals for a unique prize.

This is the G-Force calculator I use to compare cars. When I ooo and aaaahhh at a new car that just came out, HP alone wont dazzle me. I lock in the HP, torque and any available info I can get my hands on and see what its Ft/sec is in each gear. That helps me determine whether or not it really is worth its dough or if it is just overrated or too heavy. There might be better tools/progs out there but I don't have them, I have this and it works fine, theoretically.

Heres my Calc.
http://www.sbravo.com/documents/GForce-Calc.xls

And heres a nice piece of my inspiration (although I think I'll choose to not go AWD unless I really am pushed over the line). The Project R14 Full double-wishbone conversion with Skyline-delivered all-wheel-drive mated to the RB26DET.
http://www.full-race.com/r14/skyline-pics-vids.php

Sigh at that.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Not like I want/need more power, but the VG obviously has more power potential than the VE.
ok.so which of the two (VE30DE or VG30DE) have more power and more potential to be the best 3.0v6 and why? maybe this should be another thread also?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TimberJon
Because I DON'T like how the newer transmissions decrease or limit acceleration, attempt to increase fuel efficiency, limit the vehicles top speed, Etc.. Or fall apart.

And heres a nice piece of my inspiration (although I think I'll choose to not go AWD unless I really am pushed over the line). The Project R14 Full double-wishbone conversion with Skyline-delivered all-wheel-drive mated to the RB26DET.
http://www.full-race.com/r14/skyline-pics-vids.php

Sigh at that.
I've seen this car and all I can say is that it's alot easier to make an 240SX AWD than it is to make a Maxima RWD. It would actually be easier to make the Maxima AWD than it would be to make it RWD. Sounds crazy, but think about it. You wouldn't have to cut a tranny tunnel if you used a transversely mounted engine with an AWD tranny, just like that AWD B13. Figure out how to bolt up a Pulsar GTI-R tranny to a VE or VG and then go from there.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM

ok.so which of the two (VE30DE or VG30DE) have more power and more potential to be the best 3.0v6 and why? maybe this should be another thread also?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Delvin
... here's my suggestion for a 93-94 SE and I KNOW that this will fit: VE30DE
Haha. Spot-on man. Thats exactly what I have in the hood!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Look at the top two configurations on my Calc. Top calc is the SE and bottom calc is the GXE. Thats VG30E and VE30DE respectively.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM

...think about it. You wouldn't have to cut a tranny tunnel if you used a transversely mounted engine with an AWD tranny, just like that AWD B13.
Wow progress. No kidding?

Further investigation. Does it have to be a Pulsar GTI-R tranny? Max power rating for that sucker? Any other engine/Tranny combos that can be mounted transversly? I don't know these things. A chart should be made.

I for one do not know where to go to understand what makes one tranny fit an engine just right. I need some education on this. Talk tech, I'll get it.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Look at the top two configurations on my Calc. Top calc is the SE and bottom calc is the GXE. Thats VG30E and VE30DE respectively.

thanks for the responce and not beating on me for the question.

Quick Reply: Engine models that may fit the SE