3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine models that may fit the SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the VG has a factory made turbo kit.
cams aren't for the light hearted either.

turbos have been applied to many cars that never had the option by people with little more than time and patience. Turbos are an easy add on relatively speaking.
Hellooooo, I'm talking about the 3rd gen vg engine/engine bay/ecu...Where is this turbo kit you speak of that will bolt right into the 3rd gen maxima engine bay without some major welding/fabbing work?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
mod or sell?

I was refering to the VG in general.

BTW there is always the STS turbo kit option See
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I give up..
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the VE is an iron block not aluminum
V means a V configuration on the cylinder banks (used on V8 as well)
second letter = ?
3rd and 4th = usually displacement in liters
D (if present) = DOHC
E = Electronic injection
i= injection (usually electronic so not sure of the difference between E and i)
VG30I was throttle body injection, VG30E being sequential multipoint injection, iirc

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Just to clear things up though:

1989-1991 Nissan Maxima GXE: VG30E (Auto Only)
1989-1991 Nissan Maxima SE: VG30E (Auto or Manual)

1992-1994 Nissan Maxima GXE: VG30E (Auto Only)
1992-1994 Nissan Maxima SE: VE30DE (Different Auto w/VLSD Or VLSD Manual)
"The VE30DE engine, plus a limited-slip differential, became standard on the SE models in 1992. The SE models can be further distinguished from the GXE by their white-faced gauges, twisted spoke turbine wheels, firmer sport suspensions, and optional 5-speed manual transmissions, which weren't offered on the GXE models after 1992. The automatic transmission on all GXEs and optional on SEs was an innovative compact unit from Jatco, featuring four-speed electronic control with overdrive and adaptive 'sport' and 'comfort' modes that shift at different points."

...Stupid wikipedia [link].
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
VG30I was throttle body injection, VG30E being sequential multipoint injection, iirc

"The VE30DE engine, plus a limited-slip differential, became standard on the SE models in 1992. The SE models can be further distinguished from the GXE by their white-faced gauges, twisted spoke turbine wheels, firmer sport suspensions, and optional 5-speed manual transmissions, which weren't offered on the GXE models after 1992. The automatic transmission on all GXEs and optional on SEs was an innovative compact unit from Jatco, featuring four-speed electronic control with overdrive and adaptive 'sport' and 'comfort' modes that shift at different points."

...Stupid wikipedia [link].
Ugh, idiots...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TimberJon
Originally Posted by Greeny
the Ve is what it is,I accept it as that, a fine quality engine by nissan,why not just focus your efforts on improving this engine,instead of trying "circus freak' the car out as matt said,it really wouldn't take anymore effort/research/$$ on your part to upgrade the ve,instead of trying to put an engine in there that the car just wasn't designed for..
Simple answer man. Don't like the engine I have. Its old fashioned.

I'm now curious about the tunnel on the 240SX and how the ATESSA drivetrain was offset a bit.. that still traveled through the tunnel OK? I remember seeing all RWD trannys as having a shaft coming from the output directly on center. Was there room for the offset?

I don't really want an RB engine because of the price, availability of parts.. and prices of parts.. aftermarket or OE. Perhaps a nissan AWD transmission.. Murano? Will there be an AWD option for future maximas or altimas?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Will there be an AWD option for future maximas or altimas?
You can always get the jump on a Maxima Diesel swap.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm now curious about the tunnel on the 240SX and how the ATESSA drivetrain was offset a bit.. that still traveled through the tunnel OK? I remember seeing all RWD trannys as having a shaft coming from the output directly on center. Was there room for the offset?

I don't really want an RB engine because of the price, availability of parts.. and prices of parts.. aftermarket or OE. Perhaps a nissan AWD transmission.. Murano? Will there be an AWD option for future maximas or altimas?
3rd gen maximas are old fashoined. they come with old fashoined engines. want a fresh engine? buy a fresh car.

but if you ABSOLUTELY INSIST on putting in a different drivetrain.. don't do it on your car. unless you have a parts car to toy with while in the development stages of whatever you end up deciding to do, then you are going to kill your current maxima and that's going to be a shame to lose a decent 3rd gen. find a crappy 3rd gen that is in good enough condition to handle the forces involved with normal driving (ie strut towers and stuff not rusted through) and go from there. but don't chop up your current maxima until you have done it on another one first.. if it works, swap it all over. but until then don't screw up your current maxima unless you REALLY don't care if it ends up having to be sold for scrap metal once it's beyond the point of no return.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mikekantor
You can always get the jump on a Maxima Diesel swap.
the Diesel and RWD were done 25 years ago
Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 AM
STFU n00b!

holy **** this thread is still going? Just let it die.
I'm offshore for a week, and you're still pushing the same three lines....
come up with something and show us when you're done.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 AM

the Diesel and RWD were done 25 years ago
I was referring to the 7th gen diesel, since he was asking about future nissans.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
I miss my VE

OMG, how do u guys not get tired of the same old thing!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by VEvolution
OMG, how do u guys not get tired of the same old thing!!!
patience, and doing it for years.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
No turbo, no care!

There are MANY aftermarket VG specific parts. Not only various cams for both NA and turbo, valve springs (both dual spring and single) with retainers, pistons for both NA and turbo, 1mm larger valves, harmonic balancer, adjustable cam gears, and the high flow oil pump (oem, auto turbos, but available through Melling also)

Not to mention, JWT can reprogram a VG even in a maxima, to take full advantage of their cams.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 AM
No turbo, no care!

Your engine maybe old fashion, but that doesnt mean there isnt serious potential in there. Maxmaxima91 makes 400 WHP (thats about 460hp) on a totaly stock VG, and hes just getting started. You can easily make the same power on the VE (probably around 550hp with used Z32 turbo pistons, which are cheap!) which is more then enough to get you started. Slap on your z32 trans, skyline, murano, etc and go crazy.

That said, this thread is very reminiscent of all the silly threads the OGs have seen. "I'm gonna twin turbo my max with an AWD conversion making 800hp..... blah blah I know what Im doing, blah blah, big block swap, etc etc" and you never hear from him again. If you are asking people in THIS thread info on VNTs and engine swaps, you are not only in the wrong place but clearly out of your league. Lets not forget, before you edited your first post you said "the VG30DETT fits for obvious reasons". Lets assume you knew that engine, why would you ask if the VQ or VR series engines would fit when they are clearly smaller???
Bottom line, no one has swapped a non VE, VG, or VGT engine into a maxima. No one has converted one to RWD let alone AWD. You are obviously the pioneer and as such, you shouldnt need to ask anyone here for help. Get it done and let US know how to do it.

There are plenty of books on VNTs, and current applications (porsche for example) that you could study.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well said Chris, couldn't have said it any better.

IBTL
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Bottom line, no one has swapped a non VE, VG, or VGT engine into a maxima. No one has converted one to RWD let alone AWD.
Well, there were VQ swaps done on a 3rd gen on like 2 occasions. Both had weird backgrounds.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
3rd gen maximas are old fashoined. they come with old fashoined engines. want a fresh engine? buy a fresh car.

but if you ABSOLUTELY INSIST on putting in a different drivetrain.. don't do it on your car. unless you have a parts car to toy with while in the development stages of whatever you end up deciding to do, then you are going to kill your current maxima and that's going to be a shame to lose a decent 3rd gen. find a crappy 3rd gen that is in good enough condition to handle the forces involved with normal driving (ie strut towers and stuff not rusted through) and go from there. but don't chop up your current maxima until you have done it on another one first.. if it works, swap it all over. but until then don't screw up your current maxima unless you REALLY don't care if it ends up having to be sold for scrap metal once it's beyond the point of no return.
I really don't need this kind of advice. I own two maximas and could easily buy another If I had to. Plans don't always work out, but I will plan for a tight tolerance on errors and surprises later on. When I do start to work on the vehicle, It will indeed be my spare car. I have 2 scenarios planned for, preliminarily: A) 3-5 years from now, I should have most of the CAD work done for the front bay, chassis mods and a new suspension plan. By then I should have nearly totaled the replacement JDM engine I just put into the car (for $1200 all parts & labor included). Then I will work on it as the engine/transmissions life might probably be on its last decline.

or B) work on my wifes maxima since she should definately have a new car by that time.

People still like classic cars. 3rd Gen Maximas are'nt that old yet, but I'd like mine still running later on.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

with a little care, you can get the engine up to 300k and beyond(greeny for example has well over 300k on his!)
I make this point to say "unless you dont take care of the engine, it'll last way longer than 3-5 years."
thats not to put down your plans. frankly I do not care about words, or claims, or plans. I wanna see results. If i leave the org before you get this done, Ill check back every once and a while to see if you have done it, yet. if not Ill hunt you down and chain you to the car until something is done to it
do what you want to the cars, and ignore what the OGs say, whatever you want (just don't argue too much with them, they may get cranky one day and ban you.)
I support unique ideas, as you could come up with a cost effective mod that others can use. I just don't wanna see any more soap opera crap filling up a thread with little more than "CAN, TOO!!!" and "CAN, NOT!!!" Its getting kinda old....

Last edited by BenStoked; 02-10-2008 at 07:07 AM.