3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Umm...Foamy Gear Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Umm...Foamy Gear Oil?

Alright, as most of you know, my car sits in the garage all winter. I just got done rebuilding my calipers and putting it all back together and the long back road by my house is completely dry and it's nice and sunny out.

Now, my tranny has always leaked since I did the swap (still have automatic support bracket). This will be addressed shortly as I swap in the VLSD unit.
So since the car has been sitting w/o being started for about 2 months now, I decided to check the gear oil level and POSSIBLY take it for a mid-winter drive on the dry pavement.

I have the car completely level on the ground (not jacked up) and I take the filler plug out of the tranny. What leaks out is a considerable amount of foamy gear oil. It's still cool, as I've had the car running for about 10 minutes but haven't moved it at all. I've had this tranny slightly overfilled before but the oil that drips out then looks good.

What gives with the foamy gear oil? The tranny hadn't been engaged to even froth it up???
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
STFU n00b!

just because you didn't drive the car doesn't mean the stuff inside isn't spinning.
when you have the car in neutral and clutch out, the input shaft is still spinning all the gears and the mainshaft is spinning some of them.
that means the bottom of the gears are still in the soup and will be flinging the oil around.

foamy gear oil usually means water. it'll get cloudy or foamy when you drive it. considering its overfilled too, I'd venture a guess that there's considerable amount of water in it (dunno how it could get there though), or that you're simply running crap fluid that foams easily. I would suggest changing the oil and see what happens. at this point it can't hurt. it's either crap foaming fluid or its got water in it. neither is good.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks, Matt...I was just curious although it doesn't matter much to me. That tranny will probably drive less than another 10 miles before it gets replaced with a VE unit, which will get filled with Amsoil or some other more quality fluid (synthetic).

I did end up taking the car for about a 15 mile drive...Makes me really miss the warm months...