3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Whats your max weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Wanna line em up? jk

If I was any where close to the stock HP I wouldn't be running 3 seconds faster than stock. And a stock VE auto only makes about 140fwhp. So I estimate I am making around 230hp at the crank.
So you think our VE auto trannys can take some punishment? How is yours holding up after all this?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mikekantor
So you think our VE auto trannys can take some punishment? How is yours holding up after all this?
the VE auto is quite strong compared to the vgautocrapic.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
But there's a big difference between what a VE Auto can do and what a VE 5spd can. If someone wanted to, an NA VE 5spd with my modifications can do a 13 flat in the 1/4 mile if not high 12s. All it will take are some large slicks and a good driver. If a VQ 5spd can do it, then a VE 5spd isn't more than a tenth or so behind it with the same mods.
I feel the same way. This is why I really want to get my car to a track with come slicks and run some NA runs and some nitrous runs.

I know nitrous HP gain has to do with jet sizing and bottle pressure, but if you use NX jetting and NX's recommended bottle pressure (1050psi iirc) the shot size is supposed to be somewhat equal to the whp increase.

I really wish that there was a way to put an 00VI on a VE. Maybe NWP could make an adapter plate.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM

i have a vg automatic with alittle over 300,000 miles on it and it does fairly well..i much rather a 5spd..but i figured im just gunna go with a 4th gen,mild engine turbo....but i will miss the third gen there so good of cars..
Old 02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

hmmm. usually dont look at tulsa stuff, but not a bad deal.
"timing chain needs tlc"? aside from vtc, what else?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by mattdouken
i have a vg automatic with alittle over 300,000 miles on it and it does fairly well..i much rather a 5spd..but i figured im just gunna go with a 4th gen,mild engine turbo....but i will miss the third gen there so good of cars..
(5 speed swap)+(jdm engine)=cheaper than(a 4th gen)+(mods)
where mods =turbo+(other required crap)

basic math

Last edited by BenStoked; 02-22-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by benstoked
hmmm. usually dont look at tulsa stuff, but not a bad deal.
"timing chain needs tlc"? aside from vtc, what else?
Most likely it's just the vtc's clacking..might need new t/c tensioners also.

Ask for pics..
Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Greeny
Most likely it's just the vtc's clacking..might need new t/c tensioners also.

Ask for pics..
pics commin.
now i need the money...may take too long for that, but im gonna expand my search to outside the okc metro...

searching around for more cars brought me this:http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/581699121.html
a '90 maxima w/a 4cyl 2.2L.... WHAT THE ****!?!?!?

Last edited by BenStoked; 02-22-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
mod or sell?

pics commin.
now i need the money...may take too long for that, but im gonna expand my search to outside the okc metro...

searching around for more cars brought me this:http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/581699121.html
a '90 maxima w/a 4cyl 2.2L.... WHAT THE ****!?!?!?
Cavalier motor swap?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Cavalier motor swap?
maybe it has 2 bad injectors
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by subs1000w
maybe it has 2 bad injectors
it would then be a 2.0... anyway i called them, its a typo.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Alright since I see this thread went off topic with nitrous talk, I shall bring it back to topic

When I did my emissions 12/2005, the car was weighed and it was 3,142 lbs dont know how accurate it was but I'll be sure to weigh it after my 5spd swap is done
Old 02-23-2008, 04:46 PM

(5 speed swap)+(jdm engine)=cheaper than(a 4th gen)+(mods)
where mods =turbo+(other required crap)

basic math
that is a good idea,but i have searched for jdm vg30e and i had no luck locating any,and as for a five speed swap,i rather just buy a five speed considering my auto is rusted everywhere .door wells, trunk,inner fenders front,fenderwells rear,front motor mounts chassis locations,front rear crossmember,rear sway bar link connections to body,lower door pillers,upper door pillars,floor board on passengers side.

i think the picture is clear.but im thinking on a 3rd gen 5spd or a 2nd gen 300zx with the VG30E.

the VE33DE engine in the maximas were made for only two years,because the vtc is a very problematic,and a piece of *h!t.

but back to topic....
Old 02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

t
the VE33DE engine in the maximas were made for only two years,because the vtc is a very problematic,and a piece of *h!t.

but back to topic....

1. It's a VE30DE, not a VE33DE..

2. I got your pos right here

Last edited by Greeny; 02-23-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

1. It's a VE30DE, not a VG33DE..

Wow wayne! That motor REALLY IS a piece of s***!!! Any decent motor will run like new for, oh, a good 2.5 million miles for it to be respectable. </minor_jealousy>

back on topic, I'm in the middle of a 115 lb weight reduction right as we speak
Old 02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I miss my VE

that is a good idea,but i have searched for jdm vg30e and i had no luck locating any,and as for a five speed swap,i rather just buy a five speed considering my auto is rusted everywhere .door wells, trunk,inner fenders front,fenderwells rear,front motor mounts chassis locations,front rear crossmember,rear sway bar link connections to body,lower door pillers,upper door pillars,floor board on passengers side.

i think the picture is clear.but im thinking on a 3rd gen 5spd or a 2nd gen 300zx with the VG30E.

but back to topic....

hater
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I can has?

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/5l291l.jpg[//IMG]

[img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200802/007_Desktop_Resolution.jpg[//img]

[img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200802/027_Desktop_Resolution.jpg[//img]

no jaydeeemm, no care
Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

[IMG ]http://i32.tinypic.com/5l291l.jpg[/IMG]

[ img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200802/007_Desktop_Resolution.jpg[/img]

[ img]http://uploader.ws/upload/200802/027_Desktop_Resolution.jpg[/img]

you forgot to add "any vg owner who has driven a ve 3rd gen wanted one one" or something along those lines. +30hp ftw.
and they were produced for 3 yrs, 92-94, not two....
gimme a vtc clack over my vg anyday.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM

i dont know im still on the fence as to if i could go back if i would buy a ve or vg i love the extra power but man ive had bad luck with ve's

1st one lasted 25k had a total of 120k bearing knock and vtc ticking bad

2nd about 15k it was jdm rod bearing knock and vtcs paid like 1k shipped

3rd about 10k it only had about 115k im not sure but it sounded BAD and barly ran paid about 700 local
4th? has 155k and runs great and no vtc tick yet i put it in about 1month ago shes still running good and im not taking it above 5-5500 any more because im tired of putting engines in i paid 650 local

and i change my oil regularly like anybody else

i honestly think that if i had a vg the engines would have lasted alot longer and if or when they went out they would have been less than half as much $$$ to replace sorry for my rant but somtimes i need to blow off steam when i think about how much money ive spent keeping this car running but in the end the smooth pull of a good running ve from 1st-2nd-3rd sure does put a smile on my face
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM

im not hating,i was just saying the ve tend to be more problematic then the vg,but yes they do have a cosiderable power advantage,and also sorry for the mix up of engine codes.

but as for weight reduction i had major interior gutted,but yesterday i put a good bit back and the car pulls slightly harder for some reason?????????

i am confused..
Old 02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
mod or sell?

vg has 2 things against it.
1. timing belt
2. A/T transmission
Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

1. timing belt
2. A/T transmission
mine has a new timing belt (well.. ok it's 7 months and 8k miles old) and a partially-isntalled (darn rain) manual transmission
Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I miss my VE

don't know why they give you so much problems,
but im 25k miles in with mine over a course of 3 yrs.
162k, and it still runs as great as the day i got it plus even
quiter due to the oil and filter i use. i just get a ticking now if anything.
it use to knock pretty bad when i bought it.
oh and the compression is 180psi on each cylinder,
thats over the maximum stated in the FSM.. i love this engine.

i dont know im still on the fence as to if i could go back if i would buy a ve or vg i love the extra power but man ive had bad luck with ve's

3rd about 10k it only had about 115k im not sure but it sounded BAD and barly ran paid about 700 local
4th? has 155k and runs great and no vtc tick yet i put it in about 1month ago shes still running good and im not taking it above 5-5500 any more because im tired of putting engines in i paid 650 local

i honestly think that if i had a vg the engines would have lasted alot longer and if or when they went out they would have been less than half as much $$$ to replace sorry for my rant but somtimes i need to blow off steam when i think about how much money ive spent keeping this car running but in the end the smooth pull of a good running ve from 1st-2nd-3rd sure does put a smile on my face
Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM

1. timing belt
2. A/T transmission
1. id rather have a timing belt than the chain with the vtcs i just replaced a timingbelt and waterpump on a coworkers vg and it only took about 5h much much easier than vtc replace or rebiuld

2. a/t is optional and would not be an option for me ie 89-91 se 5spd and even though the ve autotrans is stronger they still go out not that im implying the 5spds last forever but the 5spd is ALOT easier to fix/replace than the auto
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 AM

Dang man! You have more than twice as many miles as my '92 has.

but I'm on my 3rd motor...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 AM

I bet you used a good amount of n2o fairly often, amirite?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
mod or sell?

1. id rather have a timing belt than the chain with the vtcs i just replaced a timingbelt and waterpump on a coworkers vg and it only took about 5h much much easier than vtc replace or rebiuld

2. a/t is optional and would not be an option for me ie 89-91 se 5spd and even though the ve autotrans is stronger they still go out not that im implying the 5spds last forever but the 5spd is ALOT easier to fix/replace than the auto
I'd rather a chain on a used car.
the VTCs RARELY fail. the timing belt is a guaranteed failure if not replaced on time. VTCs will last as long as they are maintained, a timing belt will fail if not changed.
5 spds have an input bearing issue too, and they use clutches more frequently than an A/T needs to be replaced.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM

i only sprayed the 1st 2 engines and i doubt it had anything to do with the bearings going out that was proboly more do to the high rpm use which i have cut down on considerably

i can understand a chain would be better on anything but a ve if the ve just had a chain with no vtcs it would be a great engine but the vtc caps came off the vtc assemblies on 2 of the 3 engines and rattled like crazy and broke into 2 or 3 pieces ive posted pics before and i have heard of this happening to others and breaking the chain covers i would call that a failer but once again this was probobly do to the nature of my driving therefore a vg would be better for somone who drives like me but i can understand that for someone like you who drives more "normal" they would last alot longer

i dont mind changing a timingbelt/waterpump every 100K on a vg its alot easier and cheaper than vtcs and a waterpump on a ve

i also dont mind spending $2-300 every 100k miles on a clutch that i can install in an afternoon and while the trans is out i can change the $30 input bearing in about 2 hours and autos spend close to that just getting the fluid and filter flushed ever 30k and then when they finally go out fork over the big bucks for a rebiuld or chance a used one but ive had 2 bad experiences with used autos and therefore dont like to install them but once again this is personal preference and i "kinda" understand your point

i think were both right in our own ways
Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM

i only sprayed the 1st 2 engines and i doubt it had anything to do with the bearings going out that was proboly more do to the high rpm use which i have cut down on considerably

i can understand a chain would be better on anything but a ve if the ve just had a chain with no vtcs it would be a great engine but the vtc caps came off the vtc assemblies on 2 of the 3 engines and rattled like crazy and broke into 2 or 3 pieces ive posted pics before and i have heard of this happening to others and breaking the chain covers i would call that a failer but once again this was probobly do to the nature of my driving therefore a vg would be better for somone who drives like me but i can understand that for someone like you who drives more "normal" they would last alot longer

i dont mind changing a timingbelt/waterpump every 100K on a vg its alot easier and cheaper than vtcs and a waterpump on a ve

i also dont mind spending $2-300 every 100k miles on a clutch that i can install in an afternoon and while the trans is out i can change the $30 input bearing in about 2 hours and autos spend close to that just getting the fluid and filter flushed ever 30k and then when they finally go out fork over the big bucks for a rebiuld or chance a used one but ive had 2 bad experiences with used autos and therefore dont like to install them but once again this is personal preference and i "kinda" understand your point

i think were both right in our own ways
Punctuation is your friend. Anyway, VTCs arent that bad to repair, and contribute a lot when working correctly.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Not to be an *** but nissan scrapped the whole ve engine idea and continued the vg powerplant till today,hence the VQ35DE of today,its built off the VG...not saying anything about the VE because they were ahead of there time,but it was nissan's first attempt at a vtc instead of belt and they did pretty well.just in my experience i have seen twice as many junked and replaced VE,as i have VG....Im just putting that out there..
Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Not to be an *** but nissan scrapped the whole ve engine idea and continued the vg powerplant till today,hence the VQ35DE of today,its built off the VG...not saying anything about the VE because they were ahead of there time,but it was nissan's first attempt at a vtc instead of belt and they did pretty well.just in my experience i have seen twice as many junked and replaced VE,as i have VG....Im just putting that out there..
VTCs are not a substitute for a belt, that would be the chain. The modern VQ has a chain, 4 valves per cylinder, and variable timing that just functions by a different mechanism than the VE VTC. They also have coils, not a distributor.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM
mod or sell?

talk about misinformed
the VQ is not even remotely related to VG
the VTC that everyone loves to lambaste are still very much in use by Nissan in current production.
VTCs did not replace the timing belt, the timing chain did.
the reason so many VEs end up off the road is because people don't maintain them properly and the VTCs start to clack a bit and ignorant mechanics assume it needs a motor when all it needs is a better oil filter and possibly more frequent changes.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I can has?

Wowwww... I don't even know how you managed to conjure up that meaty chud of wisdom you said there. The VE engine most likely ceased production due to the financial problems Nissan was having at the time, as Iron block engine's are much heavier and more expensive to produce. The VE's and VG's replacement was a completely different aluminum block engine, which was released in 1995 known as the VQ, losing the variable intake manifold and variable timing cams until 2000 when the VQ30DE-K was released. The VE was NOT Nissan's first engine with variable timing cams either, nor the first chain driven engine.

The only thing I see in my junkyards are VG auto's with decent bodies and shot transmissions because owners don't feel like replacing or rebuilding up to $2000 worth of transmission.

VE's really only have a few common, known problems and consist of VTC's clacking (which rarely fail) or timing chain tensioners. While the VG needs timing belts and or water pumps replaced every 70,000 miles. Lets do the math:

VG:
Timing Belt + Water Pump every 70k miles = $700

VE:
VTC rebuild/ tensioners every 150k miles = $900

I guess it's just a matter of opinion and preference, but coming from someone who thinks variable timing cams and timing belts are the same thing, I don't really think you have much room to talk.

God, why do VE's have such a bad name.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ppl... ppl... dont flame the noob.
anymore. i think he got the point.
btw, both the vg and the vq are v6, have an oil pan, and are put in maximas. so there.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE

God, why do VE's have such a bad name.
Because most people that hear the vtc clack, but don't know what the real problem is, most think the engine has a bad lifters<---(most common misconception) or a bad timing chain(slack=slap). The disinformation/misdiagnoses is what really drives most people away from the ve..Personally i love them, they are quirky little suckers that are kinda hard to understand and learn how to work on(just the kind of engine i like ) but once you understand "what makes them tick" so to speak most people get hooked on them compared to the vg.

Also, most people don't want to have to pop the hood on their cars, they simply want to put gas in it and drive, nothing more. If you are this kind of person, the ve is not for you, nor any other 15 year old car.

Last edited by Greeny; 02-26-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ppl... ppl... dont flame the noob.
anymore. i think he got the point.
btw, both the vg and the vq are v6, have an oil pan, and are put in maximas. so there.
shut up ben..

Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
VG:
Timing Belt + Water Pump every 70k miles = $700

VE:
VTC rebuild/ tensioners every 150k miles = $900

I dont know man...$700 sounds kinda steep for just those two things man... I got
*T-belt
*T-stat
*All drive belts
*Waterpump
*oil change
all for $400-$450...you must be going to the dealership or something
Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I dont know man...$700 sounds kinda steep for just those two things man... I got
*T-belt
*T-stat
*All drive belts
*Waterpump
*oil change
$125 for a tbelt kit (tbelt w/ tensioner, all 3 accessory belts, front main, 2 cam seals, wpump w/ gasket), $215 for labor and a full system of antifreeze, and another couple dollars to go to Advance and get a tstat/gasket, and $25 for Mobil1/PureOne synthetic oilchange materials... Total price for me $375.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
*T-belt
*T-stat
*All drive belts
*Waterpump
*oil change
You must have got a deal john, that price is not typical of most shops.

Quick Reply: Whats your max weigh?