3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

where is my PVC valve? 92 SE DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM

where is my PVC valve? 92 SE DOHC

Its behind the intake, rear bank.. down alil bit, 3/4" nut unthreads it? isnt this the pvc valve? see pic

this is what autozone gave me.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The one they gave you is the correct design, though it looks to be plastic(should be metal.)

The first pic is not a pcv valve for a ve, they do not have a 90* angle on the hose tip.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM

yes it is definitely plastic, and when i shake it.. it rattles, i do not like it.. haha
it was cheap, $5.
Ok, so not a 90 angle, that wasnt the pvc valve.
I CANT find it..
where is it??
Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
yes it is definitely plastic, and when i shake it.. it rattles, i do not like it.. haha
it was cheap, $5.
Ok, so not a 90 angle, that wasnt the pvc valve.
I CANT find it..
where is it??
What the hell is that first pic of then?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well its supposed to rattle, when it doesnt rattle that means the valve doesnt open/close right which is why ud need to replace it, and i got mine from the dealer for like 3 bucks, and it was a nice thick metal pcv valve.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
Well its supposed to rattle, when it doesnt rattle that means the valve doesnt open/close right which is why ud need to replace it, and i got mine from the dealer for like 3 bucks, and it was a nice thick metal pcv valve.
+1 sometimes the dealership is the best place to buy some parts, the pcv is one of them.

Btw, maximanoob, look in the noobie thread on page 10/post 296 for ve pcv valve info.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM

That 2nd one looks exactly like the brake booster check valve.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Autozone gave me that same PCV when I first tried to change mine and as you know it is the wrong one. That looks like an elbow from the plenum, I think if you follow the hose it was connected to down to the valve cover(lower passenger side) you will find the pcv, its a real PITA to change.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Here is a pick of it that was once posted.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

you can get a good pcv valve at autozone (an all metal one), just ask for the beck-arnley brand (i think that's what it's called).

As for the location, you should just search. This is greeny's pic.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...57&postcount=3

(I just saw josh posted a good pic too).

You'll need some pliers to push the clamp ends together to get the hose off and then an extension to get to the pcv valve b/c its wedged in their pretty good, i think you'll need at least an 8" extension.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by hoyshnin
you can get a good pcv valve at autozone (an all metal one), just ask for the beck-arnley brand (i think that's what it's called).

As for the location, you should just search. This is greeny's pic.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...57&postcount=3
Too slow
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

I advise removing that hose completely, the corner is prone to developing cracks, and replacing it is expensive compared to normal hoses.

I got rid of that little bracket, and just put in a single hose directly from the PCV to the plenum.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 AM
mod or sell?

<snip>
that still doesn't means it's good or correct. you are still relying on people who are paid minimum wage to know about a motor that was an option for only 3 years and never offered in any other car/chassis.
do you know how many times I've seen the manufacturers screw up the listings?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by internetautomar
that still doesn't means it's good or correct. you are still relying on people who are paid minimum wage to know about a motor that was an option for only 3 years and never offered in any other car/chassis.
do you know how many times I've seen the manufacturers screw up the listings?
Well it is good and correct because I've used two of them and know others that have used them and like them. As long as you tell autozone it is a 93 SE (NOT a 92) then you'll get the correct parts usually. I like to watch the screen as they punch everything in. I agree that a lot of autozone stuff sucks, but this part does work great.

Then again internetautomar probably has pcv valves and he will 100% get you the right one the first time and for a really good price, so you might want to just do that to be sure.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

The PCV valve on this car is on the front of the rear head area. Go to the firewall, in front of the passenger seat, look through the hood bracket on the passenger side, and look all the way down the intake plenum to the valve cover in the rear. Lay your light in between the plenum and the firewall shining down. It sticks out from the head there. It'll have a 90 degree rubber hose with spring clamp on top of it. The only way I got at mine was one of the long (11") needle nosed pliers ( I think the 45 degree bent tip ones). I was just able to grab the spring clamps with these and pull off the clamp and hose. Then a long extension on my ratchet, with a universal joint unscrewed it. The only problem is to not knock all the dirt around it into the hole.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by 92 Max
The PCV valve on this car is on the front of the rear head area. Go to the firewall, in front of the passenger seat, look through the hood bracket on the passenger side, and look all the way down the intake plenum to the valve cover in the rear. Lay your light in between the plenum and the firewall shining down. It sticks out from the head there. It'll have a 90 degree rubber hose with spring clamp on top of it. The only way I got at mine was one of the long (11") needle nosed pliers ( I think the 45 degree bent tip ones). I was just able to grab the spring clamps with these and pull off the clamp and hose. Then a long extension on my ratchet, with a universal joint unscrewed it. The only problem is to not knock all the dirt around it into the hole.

I was able to do it with a normal pair of pliers, but it took a few minutes of getting them in just the right position.
I also used a normal deep socket and extension, i didn't need a universal joint.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM

I was able to do it with a normal pair of pliers, but it took a few minutes of getting them in just the right position.
I also used a normal deep socket and extension, i didn't need a universal joint.
I suppose you could but it's easier with these tools and this is an excuse to buy new tools. Where's the downside?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM

thanks everyone, especially greeny, cause hes always answering my questions quickly lol

The reason i wound up pulling the elbow out thinking it was the pvc, was i researched online and it said it was by the rear left firewall, down about 4".. I suppose its partly my fault, for assuming the firewalll STARTS up top by the windshiield blade motor. lol

But i know exactly where it is now, i saw it last night.. Going to order a beck/arnley from the net.. i found the RIGHT one, cause its thread in. I figured they gave me one for a gxe, which probably is located right on top of the valve cover like any other car ive had.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

thanks everyone, especially greeny, cause hes always answering my questions quickly lol

The reason i wound up pulling the elbow out thinking it was the pvc, was i researched online and it said it was by the rear left firewall, down about 4".. I suppose its partly my fault, for assuming the firewalll STARTS up top by the windshiield blade motor. lol

But i know exactly where it is now, i saw it last night.. Going to order a beck/arnley from the net.. i found the RIGHT one, cause its thread in. I figured they gave me one for a gxe, which probably is located right on top of the valve cover like any other car ive had.

Like I said, you can buy beck/arnley at autozone, save on shipping!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Like I said, you can buy beck/arnley at autozone, save on shipping!
not in stock, checked.. as i returned that cheap piece of plastic wrong part
check advanced too, no luck. And dealer has none in stock
Already ordered a beck/arnely online.. same price as advanced would have been.. $16
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

not in stock, checked.. as i returned that cheap piece of plastic wrong part
check advanced too, no luck. And dealer has none in stock
Already ordered a beck/arnely online.. same price as advanced would have been.. $16
idiotzone can have ordered to the store for you and then there would be no shipping costs..
Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
idiotzone can have ordered to the store for you and then there would be no shipping costs..
yeah, cancel your online order if you can, $16 is about 4 times too much for a pcv valve.

autozone can have it next day
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Um, go to AZ and check their price for a beck/arnly PVC valve, its as much as i just paid online.. no big deal. And now it gets delivered to my door, UPS groud is usually pretty fast, I should have it by tuesday.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Um, go to AZ and check their price for a beck/arnly PVC valve, its as much as i just paid online.. no big deal. And now it gets delivered to my door, UPS groud is usually pretty fast, I should have it by tuesday.
I guess I was thinking checker/shucks/kragen, it's $6 there. I don't know why it's so expensive at autozone, weird. The listing must be screwed up b/c it says it's 3.4 lbs, that's one heavy pcv valve, haha.