3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

capedcadaver's "missing" issue (split from marshall's thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

capedcadaver's "missing" issue (split from marshall's thread)

here's what mine's doing, at cold idle. It began doing this as soon as i finished my 5spd swap.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ap%20problems/
my hypotheses are a leaky fuel rail or a bad cts. it does this whether i'm at idle or using the gas pedal and holding it at 2000rpm. in the video i did not manipulate the gas pedal at all. funny thing is i'm getting the best MPGs i've EVER seen on this car. EVER. My average over the last 700 miles was 27mpg! Up from 16mpg in 2006.

there is no content in that album...

but... ill post up a video of my exhaust putting, I have a video... but its long

and at SOME points after stopping and idling for a minute or so, Ive seen it bog and have a bouncy RPM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
there is no content in that album...

but... ill post up a video of my exhaust putting, I have a video... but its long

and at SOME points after stopping and idling for a minute or so, Ive seen it bog and have a bouncy RPM
try it again.. i forgot to disclaim the slow upload speed

thats EXACTLY what mine does, but after it warms up a little bit

sounds like misfire. check the ohms on all injectors... turn car on, but dont start it. check each plug for wetness (leaking injector o-ring/bad injector)

maybe distributor? spark plug wires? I wanna say some of your injectors are bad, or maybe just a bad o-ring on them if your lucky. Im a VE guy tho, but thats my 2 cents

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
sounds like misfire. check the ohms on all injectors... turn car on, but dont start it. check each plug for wetness (leaking injector o-ring/bad injector)

maybe distributor? spark plug wires? I wanna say some of your injectors are bad, or maybe just a bad o-ring on them if your lucky. Im a VE guy tho, but thats my 2 cents
that's to me right? i am fairly sure i have a leak on the fuel rail, so would minorly low fuel pressure cause that? tho i wouldn't think a little leak on the fuel rail would lower pressure THAT much to make it sputter, but i do have a wholesale MELTED plug on #5 that i cannot replace right at the moment. i need to build up my money before i tear my engine's top-end apart.

aside from that, wires cap and rotor are *fairly* new, by that i mean about 18mos old. plugs are about a year old, and i'm pulling them tonight to take a look.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
that's to me right? i am fairly sure i have a leak on the fuel rail, so would minorly low fuel pressure cause that? tho i wouldn't think a little leak on the fuel rail would lower pressure THAT much to make it sputter, but i do have a wholesale MELTED plug on #5 that i cannot replace right at the moment. i need to build up my money before i tear my engine's top-end apart.

aside from that, wires cap and rotor are *fairly* new, by that i mean about 18mos old. plugs are about a year old, and i'm pulling them tonight to take a look.
ya, marshall too if it sounds like yours. I don't think a leaky fuel rail would cause that, not sure how the rail itself would even start leaking...27mpg? is that all highway, 50%, 80%? that seems pretty good. my ve auto I avg 14-16mpg all city and short trips which kinda sucks with the gas prices, least i dont drive far. i've got 27mpg all highway, is my best.

what do you mean by melted plug?

since you guys have vg's, maybe check the timing. maybe its an intake leak. can we get some vg guys to chime in?

sometimes taking the car in and having an emissions test on it to see your outputs can help diagnose how its running...10bucks I think.

iirc, capes plug and connector somehow MELTED together. when he replaces the injector, he will have to splice a new connector onto the injector harness to replace the destroyed one.

Originally Posted by benstoked
iirc, capes plug and connector somehow MELTED together. when he replaces the injector, he will have to splice a new connector onto the injector harness to replace the destroyed one.

you mean the connector to the injector melted onto the injector? or the spark plug....if your using plug as use as connector, its very misleading. your saying something about plug but then say injector, they aren't connected, but do work together

injector, sorry. i was in two places at once...
(there's pics somewhere on here...)

edit found it.

addressing several posts:
oops i should have clarified 'injector plug' but i was saying i can't ohm-test that injector anymore b/c it's melted on so i'd be testing the resistance of the whole ECU...

i DO have fairly noticeable exhaust leaks in the front manifold, on cylinders 2 and 6; it's a high-pressure leak (squeezing out a small flat gap) rather than a low-pressure huffing leak like a round hole would make. As far as i can tell the rear studs are fine.

27mpg was mostly highway (80%ish), tho a 35%c/65%h tank just got me 26.3 but i'd guess that my flat highway mpg is around 29-30.

good job finding the pic benstoked! i *try* to keep my photobucket organized, but who would know that "tuesday car" is my album about the parts car. i got it on a tuesday. so i named it that. I've got a spare everything for the engine tho, so i may ohm the parts car's injectors and see what i can match up.

well i checked my plugs and all appear normal and dry. So whatever is causing my miss is affecting all cylinders equally and randomly i suppose. As the weather gets warmer and my bank account gets fuller i'll work on smoothing out my engine some. But for now, the problem is manageable and doesn't really affect driveability since I park pointed downhill and can just roll into the clutch engagement with no gas at all. And even so i can still launch and stuff as (un)well as normal when it's missing. I just figure the underlying problem is costing me HP, MPG, or both.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-02-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You need to fix/ replace the burnt injector/plug terminal before you can go into any further diagnoses into this issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
You need to fix/ replace the burnt injector/plug terminal before you can go into any further diagnoses into this issue.
a VG injector is a VG injector regardless of connector type, right? my parts car has a normal engine and my GXE has the not-from-a-90 top end.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

a VG injector is a VG injector regardless of connector type, right? my parts car has a normal engine and my GXE has the not-from-a-90 top end.
Not sure, but i would guess they have the same flowrate, just a old vs. new harness plug should be the only difference.

are you thinking about doing a cut-n-splice job?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
Not sure, but i would guess they have the same flowrate, just a old vs. new harness plug should be the only difference.

are you thinking about doing a cut-n-splice job?
well there's not much else i can do. the plug and injector are one, and the only other injectors and plugs i have immediate (and free) access to are the ones on the parts car. I suppose i can swap the whole harness but honestly that's not worth the time. I'll just have to shrinkwrap it real good. I'd like to get the injectors balanced first tho, to make sure they will run right, b/c the parts car's engine had a bit of a uncertainty about it, but i think that's because it's running open pipes w/o an O2 sensor.

eventually i'm going to tear down the parts car's engine and to a full rebuild (bearings, rings, machining, all new injectors and seals n stuff) but for now i got to make due with that i've got. but first i'm going to see if the pins will pop out like they did for the 9007 conversion, same way they did for my 5spd swap.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-02-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

well there's not much else i can do. the plug and injector are one, and the only other injectors and plugs i have immediate (and free) access to are the ones on the parts car. I suppose i can swap the whole harness but honestly that's not worth the time. I'll just have to shrinkwrap it real good. I'd like to get the injectors balanced first tho, to make sure they will run right, b/c the parts car's engine had a bit of a uncertainty about it, but i think that's because it's running open pipes w/o an O2 sensor.

eventually i'm going to tear down the parts car's engine and to a full rebuild (bearings, rings, machining, all new injectors and seals n stuff) but for now i got to make due with that i've got. but first i'm going to see if the pins will pop out like they did for the 9007 conversion, same way they did for my 5spd swap.
yeah, the pins pop out in the same manor as the headlights, but imo it would be easier to just cut/solder/shrinktube the harness.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Here's my suggestion, for what it's worth.

Leave the parts car harness alone. Go to your local junk yard (with an VOM to test the injector) and grab a similar harness end/injector to what you have now. If you start cutting and splicing dis-similar harnesses you start REALLY limiting what diagnostics you can do.

My local Pull-A-Part sells injectors for under $6 each and they'll let you snip the end off with it. They have a TON of VGs (sorry, no 92+ VEs).

Weather and job status permitting, I'm planning to go there this weekend if you want one.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by shoult
Here's my suggestion, for what it's worth.

Leave the parts car harness alone. Go to your local junk yard (with an VOM to test the injector) and grab a similar harness end/injector to what you have now. If you start cutting and splicing dis-similar harnesses you start REALLY limiting what diagnostics you can do.

My local Pull-A-Part sells injectors for under $6 each and they'll let you snip the end off with it. They have a TON of VGs (sorry, no 92+ VEs).

Weather and job status permitting, I'm planning to go there this weekend if you want one.
i think my local yard charges like $10 per injector.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 AM

do they have a sub harness? so you could just take all the injector plugs and injectors.