3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to Activate the low fuel light

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM

How to Activate the low fuel light

Does anybody have a picture on how to jump the low fuel switch to turn on the light. My light is not turning on so I want to test if the bulb is good without removing the dash. I couldn't find the directions in the service manual. Hopefully my 93 Maxima is not falling apart.

OnTheRoad

On jumping the shoulder belt chime, my Maxima was wired slightly different from the other Maxima. However, the chime will still chime on occasions -- don't have an explaination other that there a bad connection upsteam, maybe in the control box.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by OnTheRoad
Does anybody have a picture on how to jump the low fuel switch to turn on the light. My light is not turning on so I want to test if the bulb is good without removing the dash. I couldn't find the directions in the service manual. Hopefully my 93 Maxima is not falling apart.

OnTheRoad

On jumping the shoulder belt chime, my Maxima was wired slightly different from the other Maxima. However, the chime will still chime on occasions -- don't have an explaination other that there a bad connection upsteam, maybe in the control box.
eh dash removal is easy tho. easier than jumping a bulb. just take off the bottom part, the part with the cruise/defogger switches, then the part around the radio, then tilt the wheel down and take off the big black part.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
eh dash removal is easy tho. easier than jumping a bulb. just take off the bottom part, the part with the cruise/defogger switches, then the part around the radio, then tilt the wheel down and take off the big black part.
it is easier to take the steering wheel shroud off. unless my car is weird, it doesn't tilt far enough down to allow easy removal of the bezel.

otherwise
Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM

when you first turn your key one (or is it two) click all light on the dash light up as a test. If your fuel light does not , then the bulb is fused.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
it is easier to take the steering wheel shroud off. unless my car is weird, it doesn't tilt far enough down to allow easy removal of the bezel.

otherwise
i used to, but then i found out i didn't need to. maybe your car just doesn't like you
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

i used to, but then i found out i didn't need to. maybe your car just doesn't like you
sometimes i have that feeling... other times, it seems to think I am a god.

seriously, i, too can do it w/out, but its a lot easier. I don't feel like I'm gonna break the damn thing.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
sometimes i have that feeling... other times, it seems to think I am a god.

seriously, i, too can do it w/out, but its a lot easier. I don't feel like I'm gonna break the damn thing.
i leave it on b/c the bitdriver that came with my tool set is too fat to fit in the holes. so rather than hunting for another slender one-tip-per-handle screwdriver, i just leave it on.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM

My max likes being photographed. Shes waiting. Maybe thats why she never displays empty tank light? [and here I mean the +12V status indicator when dropped float hits the switch...]

Edit: EL-47 shows the sender unit pins, under rear seat, the next pin given is dash pin 6

Last edited by Wiking; 05-19-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 AM

turn on your ignition but don't start! All lights should be lit! If not it's time to either replace the bulb or test the bulb! That means you know what!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 AM

I was wondering about something kind of similar to this. I swapped out gauge clusters a while ago and right at a quarter tank on the gauge my light comes on and stays on untill just below the quarter line. It then turns back off and then comes back on again around where it's supposed to at the empty line. I'm just curious as to what triggers the light itself, is it a contact point on the needle or some kind of signal from the sending unit itself? Not a big deal just always thought that was kind of strange.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jon94SE
...light comes on and stays on untill just below the quarter line. It then turns back off and then...
If its intermittent, then theres a short anywhere, probably cluster... If its related to tank level, then the problem has to be in the sender unit.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
If its intermittent, then theres a short anywhere, probably cluster... If its related to tank level, then the problem has to be in the sender unit.
Errr.... If it's intermittent, and not blowing fuses, I would think it's an open. Shorts usually mean sparks, heat and electrons taking the easy road to where they're not meant to go.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by shoult
Errr.... If it's intermittent, and not blowing fuses, I would think it's an open. Shorts usually mean sparks, heat and electrons taking the easy road to where they're not meant to go.
Yes cut, bad contact is also possible and they may be anywhere in the system... 'Anything' is possible, no limits. My point was pointed how the sensor is related to fuel level.

Wire may short to +12V or GND. Spark is a bonus seldom received. Heat depends what is shorted where, smoke signals may also occur. Sparking General Electric fuel sensor has been known to blow 737 from the sky
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jon94SE
I was wondering about something kind of similar to this. I swapped out gauge clusters a while ago and right at a quarter tank on the gauge my light comes on and stays on untill just below the quarter line. It then turns back off and then comes back on again around where it's supposed to at the empty line. I'm just curious as to what triggers the light itself, is it a contact point on the needle or some kind of signal from the sending unit itself? Not a big deal just always thought that was kind of strange.
Pull your sending unit out and clean the rheostat coil winding and the pointer. There is a dirty print or rheostat winding spot and the continuity is loss at that point and then regained below it! You should be able to do that and watch your fuel guage while you play with it in the back seat! "Sounds kinda nasty"....pull your fuel pump fuse or relay so you don't damage it or suck to much air!