3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen repair > 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
mod or sell?

3rd gen repair > 4th gen

I'm trying to swap in speakers on my 4th gen and the dam thing is designed like crap!
in order for me to swap out the rear speakers, I need to pull the rear seat out along with the parcel shelf.
the front door panels have a stupid cup around the door handle that does not want to come off easily.
My 3rd gen was SO much easier to do this stuff on.
the rear speakers mounted from underneath, the door panels came apart fairly easily.
the radio install was easier too.
maybe I'll find a sucker to trade my 4th gen for a VE A/T

Last edited by internetautomar; 07-02-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I can has?

Hah, Active speaker system 3rd gens you had to take out the rear seat too, but at least then you got the satisfaction of looking at your pretty IRS.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I'm trying to swap in speakers on my 4th gen and the dam thing is designed like crap!
in order for me to swap out the rear speakers, I need to pull the rear seat out along with the parcel shelf.
the front door panels have a stupid cup around the door handle that does not want to come off easily.
the rear speakers mounted from underneath, the door panels came apart fairly easily.
What are you doing with a 4th gen in the first place?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Hectic
He probably got it for $40 and a can of Dr. Pepper. I am sure it was some insanely low price.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
He probably got it for $40 and a can of Dr. Pepper. I am sure it was some insanely low price.
$600 and i rode out with him and followed him back in the subie. i had a hard time driving the subie tho. not enough pedals and the shifter only moved forward and back... i nicknamed it Purple Haze b/c its a greyish purplish metallicish color.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Hah, Active speaker system 3rd gens you had to take out the rear seat too, but at least then you got the satisfaction of looking at your pretty IRS.
The IRS is under the car, if you are seeing when you take out your rear seat
Originally Posted by Hectic
Cheap maxima w/no timing belt was my goal
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Originally Posted by capedcadaver
$600 and i rode out with him and followed him back in the subie. i had a hard time driving the subie tho. not enough pedals and the shifter only moved forward and back... i nicknamed it Purple Haze b/c its a greyish purplish metallicish color.
it was $700
and the colors actual name is Granite Pearl.
so far all it needed was the anti-freeze we put in. I fixed the alarm on it so it works, and now I'm working on replacing the speakers. they are in worse shape than any of my VEs were in
Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe you've learned your lesson...

And changing a timing belt sucks, but there are worse jobs...Besides, you don't have to do it all that often.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by maxitech

And changing a timing belt sucks, but there are worse jobs...Besides, you don't have to do it all that often.
but he'd have to do it every time he bought yet another VG 3rd gen. as peace of mind.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The IRS is under the car, if you are seeing when you take out your rear seat

Cheap maxima w/no timing belt was my goal

it was $700
and the colors actual name is Granite Pearl.
so far all it needed was the anti-freeze we put in. I fixed the alarm on it so it works, and now I'm working on replacing the speakers. they are in worse shape than any of my VEs were in
1) oh
2) yea but naming it after a Jimi Hendrix song is eleventybillion times cooler
3) stupid intake thingy blocking access to the radiator hose...
4) didn't know the alarm was broken....
5) i still haven't replaced my speakers
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Rears and HU are definitely EASY.. the HU is the easiest ive EVER worked with..

but idk, i dont agree with the door panels. LOL.. i had a b%6tch of a time with mine
Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
but idk, i dont agree with the door panels. LOL.. i had a b%6tch of a time with mine
how? there's like 3 screws or so, and a couple of harnesses. then they slide right off. I can get one of my door pannels off in a matter of minutes. less if I have a screw gun.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM
mod or sell?

but he'd have to do it every time he bought yet another VG 3rd gen. as peace of mind.
yup
Originally Posted by maxitech

I'm still looking for a VE for the reson above
1) oh
2) yea but naming it after a Jimi Hendrix song is eleventybillion times cooler
3) stupid intake thingy blocking access to the radiator hose...
4) didn't know the alarm was broken....
5) i still haven't replaced my speakers
4)it wasn't, the remote had a dead battery, and button 1 was broken. solved both issues so I now have the alarm functional and remote start
Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
Rears and HU are definitely EASY.. the HU is the easiest ive EVER worked with..

meh, the doors were easy IMO on the 3rd gen.
Originally Posted by benstoked
how? there's like 3 screws or so, and a couple of harnesses. then they slide right off. I can get one of my door pannels off in a matter of minutes. less if I have a screw gun.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
Never said I did it correctly the first time lmao.. I semi caved in the trim part thats the same color as the seats, if you know what trim piece i mean, then i had to refix it all.. so it made my first door panel experience a bitter one i guess.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:57 PM
mod or sell?

Found 1 thing the 4th gen has better than the 3rd gen.
the back seats come out WAY easier.
The seat bottom has tabs/loops you pull to release it to take it out.
I wonder if they had it planned because they expected more fuel pump failure under warranty
Old 07-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Banned

I have the active system so I had a heck of a time replacing the deck speakers with some polk 6.5s. I agree on the head unit business though - easiest install ever.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Found 1 thing the 4th gen has better than the 3rd gen.
the back seats come out WAY easier.
The seat bottom has tabs/loops you pull to release it to take it out.
I wonder if they had it planned because they expected more fuel pump failure under warranty
The seat bottom on the 3rd gen has two tabs that you just pull up on. How is the 4th gen easier than that?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by jonmandude
The seat bottom on the 3rd gen has two tabs that you just pull up on. How is the 4th gen easier than that?
the third gen required muscle to "pop" the seat out of the clips.
The fourth gen has a pull loop on each one that you tug and lift the seat out on. MUCH easier.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I can has?

The fourth gen has a pull loop on each one that you tug and lift the seat out on. MUCH easier.
+1, I HATED taking out the seat in my GXE with Active. Getting the tabs out of the top of the seat were a complete ***** too, they had those stupid plastic cases around the metal hooks and it made me crazy.

4th Gen Knock sensor is WAY easier than a VE too. Damn it.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i started to remove the seatback one time and i got one corner loose, got scared, tried to push it back in, but i failed at that, and now it's just kinda hanging on by the right-side clips and whatever is in the middle. wish someone around here could demonstrate it to me so i don't end up doing something i can't figure out how to undo... i think nc90gxe took his rear bench out..
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 PM

i never had this probelm with either of my 3rd gen.
one was bose and the other was active speaker.
now the active speaker is gone and now fitted with a full bose system.

i wanna see some pics!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I can has?

i started to remove the seatback one time and i got one corner loose, got scared, tried to push it back in, but i failed at that, and now it's just kinda hanging on by the right-side clips and whatever is in the middle. wish someone around here could demonstrate it to me so i don't end up doing something i can't figure out how to undo... i think nc90gxe took his rear bench out..
Just going from memory I believe you lower the armrest and unbolt the two behind there. Then Squish the Seat down really far in the corners of the seat near the doors and get a ratchet with an extension and undo the bolt on each side of the seat. Then pull the bottom of the top seat out some and put your knee's on the bench, pull upward like you're curling on each side/ center of the seat and try to get those stupid tabs at the top of the seat to come out, once they are, that can be removed. Then The bottom seat is just held in the same way the top was. With tabs, so just yank it out. Getting everything back together is the easy part.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Just going from memory I believe you lower the armrest and unbolt the two behind there. Then Squish the Seat down really far in the corners of the seat near the doors and get a ratchet with an extension and undo the bolt on each side of the seat. Then pull the bottom of the top seat out some and put your knee's on the bench, pull upward like you're curling on each side/ center of the seat and try to get those stupid tabs at the top of the seat to come out, once they are, that can be removed. Then The bottom seat is just held in the same way the top was. With tabs, so just yank it out. Getting everything back together is the easy part.
oh... i think that sounds doable. maybe i can finally replace my blown speakers without destroying the speaker covers up on the shelf there.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I can has?

oh... i think that sounds doable. maybe i can finally replace my blown speakers without destroying the speaker covers up on the shelf there.
Yeah, it's pretty easy... Or I suppose you can do the lower seat portion first like Craig.

http://www.geocities.com/craigbraceg...t_removal.html
Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

It isn't hard at all once you know what you are doing. I tried to get the covers off a million times after being told by an ex-stereo installer that they come off. Once I figured out that you just have to get the top of the seats loose and pull the carpet up I could probably replace a 3rd gen's speakers in 15 minutes with the right tools (my screwdrivers don't like to fit under the rear window).
Old 07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 3g94MaxGXE
It isn't hard at all once you know what you are doing. I tried to get the covers off a million times after being told by an ex-stereo installer that they come off. Once I figured out that you just have to get the top of the seats loose and pull the carpet up I could probably replace a 3rd gen's speakers in 15 minutes with the right tools (my screwdrivers don't like to fit under the rear window).
how bout a small ratchet with a 1/4" socket with phillips head bit in it... will that work better to fit under the window?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

Yeah should do better, come to think about it I have all of those and didn't use any of them XD

I had one of those itty bitty fat screw drivers with like no metal length to it.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea my car has the active speakers it sucked so bad trying to rplace them, I was trying every way to get avoid pulling the saet out that i broke the active cover. Made my speakers visiibl with out the tint.I was so upset, but now i guess i learned the hard way
Old 07-06-2008, 02:48 AM

Ahhh.