3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 max se - no fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 06:29 PM
93bluemaxSE

93 max se - no fire

My 93 SE has had a history of irregular idling, but never affected the driveability of the car. Tonite, whenever i stepped on it a bit, the car hesitated severely. I would back off the gas a bit, then it seemed to smooth out. Starting from a dead stop, had the same severe hesitation. Made it home, thinking the fuel filter must be clogged and replace it. Also, cleaned the throttle body and reassembled. Now, it turns over just fine, but the engine won't fire.

I'm in the middle of home renovation and am strapped for cash, so I need to try to fix this problem myself.

So, those more experienced with these problems, I could sure use some advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

93 bluemaxse

Old 11-06-2001, 07:35 PM

Check your spark plugs. Perhaps they have got covered in rubbish when you cleaned the throttle body out.

Brent.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Check all your fuses. Just a guess.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:35 PM

this has happened to me. where it like totally dies for a sec then comes back to life. normally only after i've been highway driving. happened 3 times! augh!
Old 11-07-2001, 03:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Once when I was driving at about 55 mph, the hesitated, lost power, and the lights flickered and then...It came back to life.

It was the alternator going out.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:09 AM

Check your ignition coils, one or morem ight be going bad. They run around $45 each at courtesyparts.com
Old 11-08-2001, 07:10 AM
93bluemaxSE

Re: 93 max se - no fire - SOLVED

As mentioned, the hesitation finally caused the car to die. Checked all fuses, disassembled air intake and cleaned with carb cleaner...engine would fire momentarily then quit. Checked electrical connections to fuel pump, they were positive. Replaced fuel pump via entry panel beneath rear seat. Once replaced, along with the screen and fuel filter, car fires and runs better than ever! Seems that the fuel filter had built up sufficiently to slow the fuel to the ignition chambers. Once a clean flow of fuel was restored, the engine fires and runs great !!

ALSO, I suspect the restricted fuel filter is one of the reasons that the fuel pump died as it had to work much harder to pump the amount of fuel the engine needed to run. Use this info to your benefit !!

Thanks for your replies !

Originally posted by 93bluemaxSE
My 93 SE has had a history of irregular idling, but never affected the driveability of the car. Tonite, whenever i stepped on it a bit, the car hesitated severely. I would back off the gas a bit, then it seemed to smooth out. Starting from a dead stop, had the same severe hesitation. Made it home, thinking the fuel filter must be clogged and replace it. Also, cleaned the throttle body and reassembled. Now, it turns over just fine, but the engine won't fire.

I'm in the middle of home renovation and am strapped for cash, so I need to try to fix this problem myself.

So, those more experienced with these problems, I could sure use some advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

93 bluemaxse