3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wheel opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Wheel opinions?

has anyone used 95 to 98 Crown Vic wheels.

i figured used ones would be a cheap solution to getting 16" x 7" wheels for little better handeling.

i thought they would look good also, any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Ummmm...yuk
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You can get 97-99 se maxima wheels from most junkyards for about the same price as them butt ugly wheels .
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 AM
kthxbye2u

calling all photoshoppers!
calling all photochoppers!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I can has?

I don't like them at all...Butt ugly.

If you look long enough you can find some really decent priced 17x8's, 16x7's, etc. locally, on here, or on craigslist. Give it some time. I got all four of my 16x7.5" BBS RX's for $100.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
I don't like them at all...Butt ugly.

If you look long enough you can find some really decent priced 17x8's, 16x7's, etc. locally, on here, or on craigslist. Give it some time. I got all four of my 16x7.5" BBS RX's for $100.
$100?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM

hmmm.. "i lean like a cholo" is the first thing that came to mind. don't leave it up to other people to tell you what will look good, because the majority of posters here will consider those looks to look like doodoo, myself included.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Way out West

They don't look promising, but I would have to see them on the car and with what offset, etc.

I think you can do better on CL. You can usually find 4th gen SE wheels or 5th gen 5 spoke GLE wheels for pretty cheap if you are patient. You can also find various aftermarket wheels.

If you bump up to 17s, you will find a lot more options, still.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 AM

if u wanna cheap solution im still trying to find a 3rd gen to try out magnesium rims and tell me how durable they are
only $200 a wheel
Magnesium 9lb rims are promising 2-3hp gains!?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 AM

Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
if u wanna cheap solution im still trying to find a 3rd gen to try out magnesium rims and tell me how durable they are
only $200 a wheel
what in the name of all objects in the universe with names is with you and trying to get everyone to test stuff you don't have the ***** to test yourself? Nobody is going to buy rims and get tires put them on just do you a favor! Would you test things for other members, only to have the other member say "hmmm well i guess that part isn't for me then" and leave you stuck with the bill? $200/rim plus $150/tire = $1400 dude... if you want to test it and write a review yourself, do so. But nobody is going to pay $1400 to test something for you unless they know that they'll be repaid
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM

dude this whole website is nothing but people who bought stuff then gave a review about whether it worked if it was worth it or not and if they reccomend it or not obviously i doubt anyone is really takin me seriously but since i wish someone would im gonna try

its not like im tellin noobs to do it and they should take my advice seriously
Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

dude this whole website is nothing but people who bought stuff then gave a review about whether it worked if it was worth it or not and if they reccomend it or not obviously i doubt anyone is really takin me seriously but since i wish someone would im gonna try

its not like im tellin noobs to do it and they should take my advice seriously
So if you want to find out if they're any good why don't YOU buy them yourself with YOUR money, and then test them and tell US if they're any good?

I'll never test crap for people unless it's something I wanted to test myself anyways or if it's really cheap to do... I'm not spending MY money to buy crap that I never even wanted to try, under the premise that if I liked them that you MIGHT (or might not) buy them from me at my full purchase price PLUS an extra little bit for me going through the hassle in the first place. And then if I don't like them, you won't want them, and then I'm stuck with them to either use until it's time to replace (that Fidanza clutch you want people to test for you) or until i can just get rid of them (wheels).
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM

only $200 a wheel
Mag rims for $200 a piece sounds low, to low to think they really made of magnesium, but then again i never realy looked at mag wheel for anything other than stingray corvettes. they are durable wheels. indy 500 used them for years, but or daily driving i dont think they would be all that good. and is the 3 HP worth it. i mean it only 3hp. get more than that out of a K&N filter @ a 12th the price. they make the difference if you where on a circle track all day.

Last edited by 300zmax; 08-19-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
Mag rims for $200 a piece sounds low, to low to think they really made of magnesium, but then again i never realy looked at mag wheel for anything other than stingray corvettes. they are durable wheels. indy 500 used them for years, but or daily driving i dont think they would be all that good. and is the 3 HP worth it. i mean it only 3hp. get more than that out of a K&N filter @ a 12th the price. they make the difference if you where on a circle track all day.
they are made out of magnesium but most of the guys on here have convinced me that they wll start to break apart really quickly but the guys who make them say their good for 10yrs ive gotta ****load to do on my car before i even start saving for wheels but i do plan on getting them not for the HP but for the weight reduction they only way 9lbs so whatever benfits lightweight CF wheels have at 13-14lbs you will get even more and yeah they have been using them years but these are the first aftermarket i ever found that actually looked decent
Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
So if you want to find out if they're any good why don't YOU buy them yourself with YOUR money, and then test them and tell US if they're any good?

I'll never test crap for people unless it's something I wanted to test myself anyways or if it's really cheap to do... I'm not spending MY money to buy crap that I never even wanted to try, under the premise that if I liked them that you MIGHT (or might not) buy them from me at my full purchase price PLUS an extra little bit for me going through the hassle in the first place. And then if I don't like them, you won't want them, and then I'm stuck with them to either use until it's time to replace (that Fidanza clutch you want people to test for you) or until i can just get rid of them (wheels).
id never ask anyone test them out and sell them to me or whatever ur tryin say im hopin someone will see it and "test" on their car because they like it. the clutch im definetly getting and i was actually surprised no one had it but im not planning on rims anytime soon
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

they are made out of magnesium but most of the guys on here have convinced me that they wll start to break apart really quickly but the guys who make them say their good for 10yrs ive gotta ****load to do on my car before i even start saving for wheels but i do plan on getting them not for the HP but for the weight reduction they only way 9lbs so whatever benfits lightweight CF wheels have at 13-14lbs you will get even more and yeah they have been using them years but these are the first aftermarket i ever found that actually looked decent

id never ask anyone test them out and sell them to me or whatever ur tryin say im hopin someone will see it and "test" on their car because they like it. the clutch im definetly getting and i was actually surprised no one had it but im not planning on rims anytime soon
well as long as it's something that interests the other person anyways, then that's fine. Like if someone said they wanted to do LED taillights but wasn't sure if they'd look OK on a 3rd gen, well, I'm doing LED taillights after i move next month and have a table to spread my junk out and solder it up... so i'll certainly be able to take pics for them and whatnot. Or like, with the wheels I got... the offset is REALLY low but they appear to fit OK, so in that sense, I now know that you don't want to push 7.0" wide rims much below 25mm offset or else it may not fit (mine are 22... lower offset sticks out more, higher offset pulls them back in)

what's your target rim size wen you do have money to buy rims? What you can do is get some cheaper ones for now that are the size you want, and get tires for them to get the handling benefit now, and then once you have money for the nicer rims you want, you can get the tires swapped onto your new rims. I got mine for $75 but ended up spending damn close to $650 on tires haha. But they're an inch wider than stock and way way stickier than any tires i've had before.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-19-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM

unless you plan on racing you gen 3 i dont see the point in going super light. i mean for a 4 door sedan our cars are pretty light as is, lighter that a GT mustang Foxbody (not by much). not bad around 3100+ curb weight.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM

well your talking curb weight, rims take away rotational mass which is different
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

Okay so you want someone to buy some mag wheels that everyone told you would break apart. Let me get right on that for ya.

. But actually those meshies don't look that back. Old school. But there are alot of other ford wheels I would (did actually) run before those

Was always partial to these:

But these were my 17" favorites: bbk clearance ftw w/ no spacers
Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Cobras ftw..

Still my favorite wheels for the 3rd gen, besides G35 wheels.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
mod or sell?

they are very similar to the dealer installed wheels on my 4th gen.