3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What Should I Replace Next Guys? SEE LIST

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

What Should I Replace Next Guys? SEE LIST

These are the replacements done in the last few years on the 1993:

DRIVE BELTS
AIR FILTER
ALL HOSES IN ENGINE BAY (If anyone wants the list it's in Excel format)
FUEL FILTER
RADIATOR
SPARK PLUGS
SPARK PLUG WIRES
ROTOR DISTRIBUTOR CAP
TIMING BELT
ALTERNATOR
STARTER
WATER PUMP
BATTERY
FUEL PUMP
1 FUEL INJECTOR
HEADER PIPE
CATALYTIC CONVERTER
MUFFLER ASSEMBLY
PCV VALVE
ABS ACTUATOR
CLEANED MOST HARNESS CONNECTORS & RELAYS

Is it possible to use your crystal ball skills, and tell me what I can repair ahead of time next, once I'm done with the rear calipers?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 AM

the rest of the injectors
Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

struts, window regs, and the auto tranny?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

install some new seals in your PS pump so it won't whine under load like mine does. If it doesn't now, it will eventually.

also every rubber bushing under the suspension (LCA, rear link, swaybar mount bushings, also swaybar endlinks w/ bushings, balljoints, tierods, and steering rack bellows (boots), and steering rack mount bushings)

here is what my steering rack bushings looked like... steering is SO SO SO SO much tighter now.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-20-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ProphetVG30E
the rest of the injectors
Best advice.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 AM

nd door locks too, i guess. if needed
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Nothing...Pretty much all regular maintenance items have been done, except for the o2 sensor, which is a regular tune-up replacement item...All you would be doing by replacing anything else atm is costing yourself money that basically doesn't need to be spent until the specific part/s fail. The injectors for example, yeah more of them will eventually fail, but they will not keep the car from getting from point A to point B. in other words a failed injector will not leave you stranded on the side of the road if it fails. IMHO, @ $100 a pop,they(injectors) should be left alone until they fail.

You seem to be the type person that is a little paranoid about your car breaking down, maybe you should look into something much newer with lower miles (considerably more maintenance free) instead of dumping arseloads of money into a 15 year old car in a sad to say, "feeble attempt" to keep it in "new car" running condition.

The 3rd gens are quite reliable for their age, but they are like any other 15 year car in the aspect of "true" reliabilty. Things will go wrong with the car when you least need it to happen, this is a guarantee.

Last edited by Greeny; 08-20-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM

i dont see cv shafts ball joints or even rotors on that list

i suggest you learn how to tell what parts are wearing on your car and how they are wearing simply by looking at the part or listening to our car you should be able to tell what needs to be repaired otherwise like what greeny basically said your just gonna be dumping money on parts that dont need to be fixed then when something big needs to be fixed you wont have any money left

Last edited by sleepyvg30e; 08-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
i dont see cv shafts ball joints or even rotors on that list

i suggest you learn how to tell what parts are wearing on your car and how they are wearing simply by looking at the part or listening to our car you should be able to tell what needs to be repaired otherwise like what greeny basically said your just gonna be dumping money on parts that dont need to be fixed then when something big needs to be fixed you wont have any money left
though there's a lot of parts that 90% of car owners don't know that they need replacing, like bushings, so unless you know the PO replaced them, odds are that if the car doesn't ride GREAT, then they are something to be looked at.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
though there's a lot of parts that 90% of car owners don't know that they need replacing, like bushings, so unless you know the PO replaced them, odds are that if the car doesn't ride GREAT, then they are something to be looked at.
yeah but im asuming that he has done all those replacements by himself so im guessing hes doing his best to restore the car with all that work done already its almost impossible to say what "repair" he should do next without actually takin a look at the car so the next thing he should do for his car IMHO is memorize a chiltons manual

i think the biggest benefit to fixin up cheap cars like these is that you get to learn all of those small lil parts that 90% of people dont know about so its time he hit the books or buy an '09

Last edited by sleepyvg30e; 08-20-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yeah but im asuming that he has done all those replacements by himself so im guessing hes doing his best to restore the car with all that work done already its almost impossible to say what "repair" he should do next without actually takin a look at the car so the next thing he should do for his car IMHO is memorize a chiltons manual

i think the biggest benefit to fixin up cheap cars like these is that you get to learn all of those small lil parts that 90% of people dont know about so its time he hit the books or buy an '09
why do you keep implying that he needs to "hit the books" and "i suggest you learn how to tell what parts are wearing" as if he's a 2nd grader or something?

besides chiltons is garbage . FSM or go home

I mean, there's really nothing wrong with replacing OE parts with upgrade parts either, whether the OE parts need replacing. I had no idea if my rear link bushings actually needed to be replaced, but I got the ES poly ones anyways. Turns out they were kinda in need of replacement but not really. LCA bushings I know they're dead... tierods too. Balljoints I'm not sure about but I figure i may as well replace them. stuff like that..

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-20-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 PM

thats the kinda thing he should be doin at this point is askin what performance mod he should start with but only something that will replace a part that he hasent already worked on. more repairs may be needed but he should be doing them as needed not as "preventitive" maintenece.

oh yeah and thanx for the tip on the manual i always felt that book was ****ed up somehow
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

thats the kinda thing he should be doin at this point is askin what performance mod he should start with but only something that will replace a part that he hasent already worked on. more repairs may be needed but he should be doing them as needed not as "preventitive" maintenece.

oh yeah and thanx for the tip on the manual i always felt that book was ****ed up somehow
well he's doing his rear calipers right now... hmm, if he can get the caliper adapters off a '89/'90 he can upgrade to the Z31 rear bbk, and i'm working on a not-yet-mentioned-in-the-3rd-gen-section BBK for the fronts that i bet a lot of ppl will start doing once i've got all the pics and stuff for the writeup. i just can't put it on until i have my 17's on cuz it won't clear 15" rims, and it is a non-reversible mod.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned

replace the car?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

Thans guys I'm taking everyones suggestions seriously to create a list, and I do want to keep it on the road so if anything I'll maybe get a 2nd Maxima eventually (but I'm trying to conserve money for other things...so I may not be able to afford another one - maybe I could buy a broken one then fix it), but a newer generation, although I'll have to read those other forums to see what's a good newer one - I have no idea about them. I forgot to add O2 SENSOR to the list also.

I'll be back.