3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen laptop tune/consult fabrication complete (video teaser)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by darkhalf
Send me an email via the nistune.com site if you have any direct questions as I'm not on these forums much

cheers
Matt
Old 09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by darkhalf
Hey guys - Matt here from Nistune

J30 VG30E has the black diagnostic plug (not consult)
- Type 1 board is used with this an a USB socket is installed in the ECU so you can plug your laptop directly into the ECU. Total cost $400AUD for board and software.

J30 VE30DE has the grey consult plug
- Type 3 board and consult cable is used with this one. Normally just plugs directly into consult port once board is installed in ECU. Total cost $510AUD for board, software and cable

Since Hadleys car was a transplant with the VE30DE the consult wires from the transplant loom were going to an unknown location and causing ECU not to respond to consult initializations commands. Cutting the wires directly from the ECU (after wiring in consult plug) seemed to get it working.
Ok thats exactly what I was talking about. VGs (type 1 boards) are supplied with the USB cable directly to the ECU/daughter board, avoiding the consult port all together.
VEs (type 3 boards) all tune through the consult port?

What about GRNMAXDMON who has a grey consult port on his 93GXE? With nistune will he tune through his consult or be supplied with a USB connector directly his ECU?

EDIT: if you have a California car do you need a cali spec ECU to be outfitted with nistune, or can a federal spec ECU be programed through nistune (or other modifications) to provide all cali spec functions?

Last edited by Maxpwer; 09-07-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
What about GRNMAXDMON who has a grey consult port on his 93GXE? With nistune will he tune through his consult or be supplied with a USB connector directly his ECU?

EDIT: if you have a California car do you need a cali spec ECU to be outfitted with nistune, or can a federal spec ECU be programed through nistune (or other modifications) to provide all cali spec functions?
It will be based on his ECU not his consult. I'd have to assume despite his grey plug he still has the VG ECU (type 1).

If you have a Cali spec ECU, you keep that ECU, it would be advised you keep that ECU so you can always revert to the original configuration.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by hadman
It will be based on his ECU not his consult. I'd have to assume despite his grey plug he still has the VG ECU (type 1).

If you have a Cali spec ECU, you keep that ECU, it would be advised you keep that ECU so you can always revert to the original configuration.
how do i know if i have the type 1 VG ECU? i think i jumped the gun when i said i have the grey plugs which is the plugs that are used to hook up for diagnose the car right? now isn't one for the engine and the other for the auto tranny? here's the thing, i have both grey plugs but if the other is for the auto tranny then what do i do cuz i don't have an auto tranny anymore? i converted my car to a 5-speed but didn't swap out the auto ECU for a manual ECU?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM

I would almost bet on it being a VG ECU because your car was originally a VG and the ECU was never swapped.
That said, if you get the number off your ecu you can verify it by checking it against this list: http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ECU-ID.PDF

As for the dual grey plugs you seem to have, I haven't come across that, so I can't really identify what they are, but I don't think they have any bearing on the type of ECU your car has. I think the diagnostic plug probably changed to a 14 pin version for your model year. The most important thing is you identify your ECU. From there you'll know what you're dealing with.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by hadman
I would almost bet on it being a VG ECU because your car was originally a VG and the ECU was never swapped.
That said, if you get the number off your ecu you can verify it by checking it against this list: http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ECU-ID.PDF

As for the dual grey plugs you seem to have, I haven't come across that, so I can't really identify what they are, but I don't think they have any bearing on the type of ECU your car has. I think the diagnostic plug probably changed to a 14 pin version for your model year. The most important thing is you identify your ECU. From there you'll know what you're dealing with.
ok i will check what ECU i have with what you supplied. but what grey plugs were you originally talking about at the beginning of your thread?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
ok i will check what ECU i have with what you supplied. but what grey plugs were you originally talking about at the beginning of your thread?
I was talking about originally having a 12 pin black diagnostic plug as opposed to having a 14 pin grey consult (which you appear to have two of).
So finding a donor plug won't be an issue for you. And it may not matter anyway, if you have a VG ECU and get a Type 1 daughterboard fitted - you will be plugging directly in to the ECU.
I, on the other hand, was required to have a grey consult plug in place (as I have a type 3 board), and found one (on a car like yours) which I used to fabricate my own consult.

* See attached diagram I made of the consult conversion in post #17*

Last edited by hadman; 09-08-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Good job getting it all working Hadley!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if you are unsure which board, get the ECU part number from the label on the ECU and email that through and I can tell you