3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The 12 sec VE Auto dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I'm not completely sure what you mean by hybrid combination. But it will be a full ECU swap.

I haven't made up my mind which way I want to go with the tranny yet. I am really hoping to link up my stock RE4F04V tranny to the VQ35. The bolt pattern for the casing is slightly different. But the internals are almost identical to the RE4F04B tranny that's used in the 02-03 Maxima. I could possibly have my stock internals swapped over to the new casing and bolt it up. That way, I will be able to use my VE axles, much like the Spec V guys do with the 6 speeds.

Or I can do a full tranny swap along with electronics and make hybrid axles (half 3.5/half VE). And my stock gear shifter looks like it will link up just fine. But, swapping over the TCM and wiring is just one more thing I don't want to worry about.
Well, that would define "hybrid" pretty well... FWIW, I have a '99 RE4F04V tranny mated to my '02 3.5 block in the '99 Max.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I think you are asking for a bit much for a plug and play harness connector. But, if I happen to go forward with the project, all the information will be jammed into one thread. Much like goldtooth, eng92, and others have done. I have read their entire threads completely over more than once.

I haven't made up my mind which way I want to go with the tranny yet. I am really hoping to link up my stock RE4F04V tranny to the VQ35. The bolt pattern for the casing is slightly different. But the internals are almost identical to the RE4F04B tranny that's used in the 02-03 Maxima. I could possibly have my stock internals swapped over to the new casing and bolt it up. That way, I will be able to use my VE axles, much like the Spec V guys do with the 6 speeds.

Or I can do a full tranny swap along with electronics and make hybrid axles (half 3.5/half VE). And my stock gear shifter looks like it will link up just fine. But, swapping over the TCM and wiring is just one more thing I don't want to worry about.
nah i didn't mean an entire plug and play harness. I just figured if you made a swap kit, that the full swap procedure would be detailed in the installation guide? rather that just providing info of how to detail the actual NWP pieces? Unless there was like, a link back to your swap thread on the .Org. I guess since everything will have to be hand-wired, that the only difference between swapping into a VG vs a VE would be a which wires go where (for example, converting from distributor to coil-on-plug), rather than a difference in parts?

But you're committed to stay A/T (that acronym means "automatic transmission" since i know you hate my acronyms ) no matter what, correct?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by grey99max
Well, that would define "hybrid" pretty well... FWIW, I have a '99 RE4F04V tranny mated to my '02 3.5 block in the '99 Max.
so all he's got to do is get the bellhousing from a 4th gen tranny? cuz i was under the impression that even tho both are RE4F04x that the VQ and VE versions have different bellhousings to accommodate the different engine blocks.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:05 PM
STFU n00b!

They have AT LEAST a different bellhousing.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Did that tranny directly bolt onto the 3.5? From what I saw on the FSM, it looks to be a slightly different bolt pattern on the casing.

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
But you're committed to stay A/T (that acronym means "automatic transmission" since i know you hate my acronyms ) no matter what, correct?
Oh yeah. I will stay AT. I'm shooting for some ridiculous 1/4 mile times.

so all he's got to do is get the bellhousing from a 4th gen tranny? cuz i was under the impression that even tho both are RE4F04x that the VQ and VE versions have different bellhousings to accommodate the different engine blocks.
Yeah, the casing is different between the RE4F04s on the 92-94 and 4th gen. The guts are very similar though and it may be possible to swap them out. But I really don't want to do this. I'd much rather find a way to adapt my existing tranny to the 3.5. So that when my tranny dies, I don't have to swap the guts in order to do an R&R.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yeah, the casing is different between the RE4F04s on the 92-94 and 4th gen. The guts are very similar though and it may be possible to swap them out. But I really don't want to do this. I'd much rather find a way to adapt my existing tranny to the 3.5. So that when my tranny dies, I don't have to swap the guts in order to do an R&R.
well like... on page AT-240 in the 1994 FSM (may or may not be the same in your printed 1992 book), you see the "converter housing" separates from the guts-portion of the tranny, so, that's what I was thinking you might be able to swap.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Way out West

Check the OP. You'll see in the 2nd picture that the VTC cap actually broke and the piece got logged in the lower timing gear.

I saw the pics, I just thought in past pics (Matt? Michael? someone that bought a busted VE...) that the entire cap came off, not the actual cap had broken.

I thought it was a bit odd that the cap itself broke. I can see the obvious damage it caused.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
mod or sell?

all the FWD VQs use the same boltpattern on the bellhousing.
The I30t came stock with the VLSD and a VQ
internally the VE and the VQ A/T are basically the same transmission.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
ibifaaroncan'tgethistrannytoworkona3.5hebuysyourca rsinceyou'regonnasellitinoctoberanyways
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what is the mileage on your I30 anyways? You're probably going to sell the car before winter anyways (we know you too well, Brian) so perhaps the VLSD VQ automatic would be of use to him if it's got low miles
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ibifaaroncan'tgethistrannytoworkona3.5hebuysyourca rsinceyou'regonnasellitinoctoberanyways

just remember:
http://caradhd.com/
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BenStoked

just remember:
holy crap you quoted that before i ninja-edited it. hahaha. j00 is quick. but yea you get my drift... besides aaron's VLSD unit was kinda going under at the dragstrip in November (only spun both wheels on occasion... mostly 1-wheeled burnouts)
Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Did that tranny directly bolt onto the 3.5? From what I saw on the FSM, it looks to be a slightly different bolt pattern on the casing.
Yes, it bolted right up. Dunno about the FSMs....
Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
mod or sell?

what is the mileage on your I30 anyways? You're probably going to sell the car before winter anyways (we know you too well, Brian) so perhaps the VLSD VQ automatic would be of use to him if it's got low miles
Originally Posted by BenStoked

just remember:
it's got 183k+ on it right now.
my brother actually already called dibs on it.
the car is way too nice to be a tranny donor anyhow.
I plan on driving it through the winter (heated seats, heated mirror, VLSD)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

it's got 183k+ on it right now.
my brother actually already called dibs on it.
the car is way too nice to be a tranny donor anyhow.
I plan on driving it through the winter (heated seats, heated mirror, VLSD)
haha he knows you too well, I see

well if the VE a/t cannot be modified (with a VQ TC housing or by some other method... hell maybe just VE engine/trans gussets will do the trick, who knows?), the VE a/t innards will not fit into a VQ case... then presumably he'd need a bona fide VQ tranny. I know if I were in his situation and needed something like that on a running car, I'd look to you to find something cheap for me, as only you can.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
mod or sell?

haha he knows you too well, I see

well if the VE a/t cannot be modified (with a VQ TC housing or by some other method... hell maybe just VE engine/trans gussets will do the trick, who knows?), the VE a/t innards will not fit into a VQ case... then presumably he'd need a bona fide VQ tranny. I know if I were in his situation and needed something like that on a running car, I'd look to you to find something cheap for me, as only you can.
The cases are different, it could be modified to work with an adapter plate, but that requires some creativity and would be harder than finding a correct VQ a/t trans.
Any trans hegets, he will probably rebuild since in stock form they may not be happy with the power he is looking to put through them. The VQ35 did receive some updates to the trans however, presumably to help torque capacity.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The cases are different, it could be modified to work with an adapter plate, but that requires some creativity and would be harder than finding a correct VQ a/t trans.
Any trans hegets, he will probably rebuild since in stock form they may not be happy with the power he is looking to put through them. The VQ35 did receive some updates to the trans however, presumably to help torque capacity.
plus he has a high-stall TC and some valvebody upgrades i'm sure he'd want to carry over. But some of the VQ trannies are 5spd (6gen, for example), and I wonder how they would a) fit in a 3rd gen, compared to a 4spd VQ a/t, and b) if they would work better or worse for him, down the strip.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

well like... on page AT-240 in the 1994 FSM (may or may not be the same in your printed 1992 book), you see the "converter housing" separates from the guts-portion of the tranny, so, that's what I was thinking you might be able to swap.
Yeah. That is a possibility.

Is there anyway you can find out if the bolt pattern is the same for the casing with the TC Housing removed? 92 RE4F04V versus the VQ trans?

Yes, it bolted right up. Dunno about the FSMs....
Thanks. I can't really go by the illustrations in the FSM to determine bolt pattern. I have found that Nissan likes to use stock images to cover a broad range of applications.

I assume you are using your stock 4th gen TCM and all the wiring to go with it?

If I can find a way to make the VE tranny work with the 3.5, I will probably just run that setup the way it is until it pops. Then I may either beef it up or just swap in another stock unit for cheap.

The biggest reason I would like to use the stock VE tranny is so I won't have to worry about custom axles or replacing the TCM, wiring, etc.

I do already have an upgraded torque converter with a 2900 stall. If the 4 bolt pattern is the same, then it should work just fine. It will probably be a 3300-3500 stall just b/c of the increased torque, which still should be ok for me.

And I've thought about an adapter plate. It would have to be pretty thin in order to still bolt the TC to the drive plate without spacers, which I don't think I want to try.

The main thing right now is if the bolt pattern is the same on the VE trans once the TC housing is removed. If that piece can be swapped over, I should be good to go.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Dust yourself off and replace it with another VE. These things happen. Consider it an opportunity to spend some time and money on your Max
Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by AzureblueZ
Dust yourself off and replace it with another VE. These things happen. Consider it an opportunity to spend some time and money on your Max
Thanks. Money will most definitely be spent on this Maxima! I am just trying to get the major stuff sorted out before I purchase a 02-03 Maxima parts car or start buying parts.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

BTW, my friend totaled her '03 Max SE a few months ago when she flipped it. I'm pretty sure the engine and tranny are fine, but it's auto. I know that she is very flexible with the price for the car and/or parts. Make an offer. It is just off of I-75 at exit 399 - Alachua, FL. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear Aaron. Which ecu do you plan on running?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by mrkanda
BTW, my friend totaled her '03 Max SE a few months ago when she flipped it. I'm pretty sure the engine and tranny are fine, but it's auto. I know that she is very flexible with the price for the car and/or parts. Make an offer. It is just off of I-75 at exit 399 - Alachua, FL. Let me know if you are interested.
that's what he is looking for, actually. I'm 99% sure he can drive a stick just fine but likes the way a/t works for him at the strip.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrkanda
I am most definitely interested! I don't want a manual. So, that parts car would be perfect in case if I can't use my VE tranny and I have to swap over the 03 AT and make custom axles.

Sending PM now.

Originally Posted by nismology
Sorry to hear Aaron. Which ecu do you plan on running?
Thanks for stepping in. I have been doing a crap load of reading and you seem to post more about the 3.5 swap than anybody.

I definitely plan on doing a full ECU swap and use the 02-03 ECU. It would be possible to swap in a 4th gen AT and change the timing components on the 3.5, but I would rather do a full ECU swap.

Do you have any suggestions for me? A 3.5 has been swapped in a 3rd gen before with the 4th gen ECU. But, I'd like to go a different way and try to use my VE tranny if possible.

I would just go ahead and start a new thread in the All Motor section to post my progress, but I'd like to be a little more sure about which way I want to go with this swap.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thanks. I can't really go by the illustrations in the FSM to determine bolt pattern. I have found that Nissan likes to use stock images to cover a broad range of applications.

I assume you are using your stock 4th gen TCM and all the wiring to go with it?
Yup - the 4th gen TCM and wiring harnesses are stock - of course I also have a custom SHift_Fast_3 installed for those precious moments alone on the drag strip. I also have a spare '01 AE VLSD automatic which is a plug-and-play replacement for my present '99 i30T VLSD. I really think that not much changed on the VLSD ATs - you even see some used ones listed for 2002 Altimas.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yup - the 4th gen TCM and wiring harnesses are stock - of course I also have a custom SHift_Fast_3 installed for those precious moments alone on the drag strip. I also have a spare '01 AE VLSD automatic which is a plug-and-play replacement for my present '99 i30T VLSD. I really think that not much changed on the VLSD ATs - you even see some used ones listed for 2002 Altimas.
did the 5.5gen SE autos have any type of LSD?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks. The more research I do, the more it looks possible to swap the TC housing on the tranny in order to use my 92 re4f04v with TCM. Every image I see in the FSM shows the bolt patterns as compatible to allow for TC housing swapping. But, I need real photos.

Here is the 03 Maxima AT that goldtooth is selling:

Here is my 1992 VE30DE RE4F04V transmission:

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 09-11-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Lightly modded

Sorry to hear about your engine Aaron, I popped one while spraying a few years ago. I've learned my lesson I vote for another VE. The 3.5 swap has been done to death, I want to see a VE doing something! I say either rebuild your engine or throw in the spare, and call it a day (or two). Get some cams like Matt said if you really want some more power
Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Sorry to hear about your engine Aaron, I popped one while spraying a few years ago. I've learned my lesson I vote for another VE. The 3.5 swap has been done to death, I want to see a VE doing something! I say either rebuild your engine or throw in the spare, and call it a day (or two). Get some cams like Matt said if you really want some more power
But it certainly hasn't been done to death in a 3rd gen before. I'm not really concerned about being unique. But, I would like to be able to run low to mid 12s All Motor and then throw nitrous on it. 12s would be tough to do with an NA VE.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

go for the VQ3.5 or even the VQ4.0?
good luck
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

But it certainly hasn't been done to death in a 3rd gen before. I'm not really concerned about being unique. But, I would like to be able to run low to mid 12s All Motor and then throw nitrous on it. 12s would be tough to do with an NA VE.
are you going to cam it?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by DanNY
go for the VQ3.5 or even the VQ4.0?
good luck
I will be able to get VQ35 parts far cheaper and easier. So I see that happening first.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 09-11-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

are you going to cam it?
First things first, do the swap. I'll worry about modifications later. The only mod I'll worry about ahead of time is maybe headers since it'll be easier to install them when the motor's out of the car.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
mod or sell?

based on those pics they look like the TC housing will swap.
I've never actually had one down to see if the "bell housing" is removable or not.
technically all DOHC maximas use the same transmision (RE4F04*) so 99% chance you can swap your guts into a VQ case if need be.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM

^^^^ Just a thought. Why would you swap in a vq when alot of 4th gen drivers are looking to do dek swaps? Wouldn't a dek swap be a better alt for a guy used to driving variable timing control?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
NWP Engineering.com

based on those pics they look like the TC housing will swap.
I've never actually had one down to see if the "bell housing" is removable or not.
technically all DOHC maximas use the same transmision (RE4F04*) so 99% chance you can swap your guts into a VQ case if need be.
Thanks. I found this link which shows some part numbers for gaskets and orings.

http://www.transmissionkits.com/catalogs/PI_Parts.pdf

It shows the same part numbers for the oil pump orings and gaskets which protrudes through the converter housing on the 91-03 REF04A/V and the 00-06 RE4F04B. I guess I'll just give it a shot unless someone steps in and says they are not swappable. Worst case scenario is that I will have the 02-03 tranny and I will have to do a full tranny swap with hybrid axles.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxima-junky
^^^^ Just a thought. Why would you swap in a vq when alot of 4th gen drivers are looking to do dek swaps? Wouldn't a dek swap be a better alt for a guy used to driving variable timing control?
When you read of someone doing a DEK swap, they are more than likely only talking about the 00vi, which is just a variable intake manifold. We are talking about swapping an entire engine. The difference between the VQ35DE and VQ30DEK is pretty big when you consider HP.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
mod or sell?

Thanks. I found this link which shows some part numbers for gaskets and orings.

http://www.transmissionkits.com/catalogs/PI_Parts.pdf

It shows the same part numbers for the oil pump orings and gaskets which protrudes through the converter housing on the 91-03 REF04A/V and the 00-06 RE4F04B. I guess I'll just give it a shot unless someone steps in and says they are not swappable. Worst case scenario is that I will have the 02-03 tranny and I will have to do a full tranny swap with hybrid axles.
Does FAST show anything?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will be able to get VQ35 parts far cheaper and easier. So I see that happening first.
I'd love to see this happen Aaron92VQ35SE.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:02 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Does FAST show anything?
I am out of town right now. I will check it as soon as I get back in the office. I will be able to be REALLY certain on which parts will swap and which won't.

Originally Posted by hadman
I'd love to see this happen Aaron92VQ35SE.
Thanks Hadley. Same here. I am pretty set on making a run at this. I know it's possible. So once the parts car or at least the engine is bought, it will happen some way or another.

Quick Reply: The 12 sec VE Auto dies