3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
keep us posted cuz i really want this for my 3rd gen as well. i also have another thought about this but not doing the whole LED thing... sort of? i know that the new BMW's have fiber optic lights in their tails and headlights. have you looked into those? if not just look at the new 5 series, 6 series and the new redesigned 3 series taillights and you will see what im talking about. i know it uses an LED from one end of the fiber optic that extends all the way to other end of the fiber optic.

omg i LOVE those!!! i'm real picky about exterior lighting and those get a from me.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by subiechick4life
that is one hot ride
Thank you, I'm glad someone thinks so

keep us posted cuz i really want this for my 3rd gen as well. i also have another thought about this but not doing the whole LED thing... sort of? i know that the new BMW's have fiber optic lights in their tails and headlights. have you looked into those? if not just look at the new 5 series, 6 series and the new redesigned 3 series taillights and you will see what im talking about. i know it uses an LED from one end of the fiber optic that extends all the way to other end of the fiber optic.

You know what dude? when Alex V was still living here at my place...we were working on these for a bit and had the "fiber" ready to go in but we just didnt open the tail lamp assembly I may actually have that piece still laying around.

Here's the video to the method we used...I know its for "eagle eyes" but think about a few of these strips running straight inside the tail assy with an LED on each side..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj6jU...eature=related
H
Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM

The only thing i dont like about that is they still use incandescent bulbs for the brake lights. i think that would be a nice look dont get me wrong but im not sure if i can do that. I can give it a shot.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
The only thing i dont like about that is they still use incandescent bulbs for the brake lights. i think that would be a nice look dont get me wrong but im not sure if i can do that. I can give it a shot.
im no expert in lighting and bulbs when it comes to things like this but it would be nice to give this a try instead of tails being full of LED's. i will try and see if i can open one 5-series taillights and see how i can get a better understanding of its functionality. so maybe just maybe when i decide to finish my headlight retro project i shall attempt this as well and see what i can come up with.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

im no expert in lighting and bulbs when it comes to things like this but it would be nice to give this a try instead of tails being full of LED's. i will try and see if i can open one 5-series taillights and see how i can get a better understanding of its functionality. so maybe just maybe when i decide to finish my headlight retro project i shall attempt this as well and see what i can come up with.
wait.... so being a BMW employee you can get your hands on parts removed from wrecked cars that were taken back to the BMW bodyshop for repair?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I dont see whats wrong with trying that particular style, I'm sure LEDS can go in place of the incandescent bulbs...I mean, you've got the skills and I already made a suggestion on an idea Alex V and I partially put together which I believe has some potential.. I hope you watched the video link I posted earlier in the thread

Now now, nothing wrong with tail lights filled with LEDS I'm on your side with trying that style as well but not with regular bulbs rather LEDS [not that you said anything about incandenscent bulbs]

What I like about the "fiber optic" is that you can make many different styles by bending the fiber in whatever pattern you wanna have, not only straight lines accross which probably look kick *** anyway.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I dont see whats wrong with trying that particular style, I'm sure LEDS can go in place of the incandescent bulbs...I mean, you've got the skills and I already made a suggestion on an idea Alex V and I partially put together which I believe has some potential.. I hope you watched the video link I posted earlier in the thread

Now now, nothing wrong with tail lights filled with LEDS I'm on your side with trying that style as well but not with regular bulbs rather LEDS [not that you said anything about incandenscent bulbs]

What I like about the "fiber optic" is that you can make many different styles by bending the fiber in whatever pattern you wanna have, not only straight lines accross which probably look kick *** anyway.
with the fiber optic setup, you can just put one of those 5-sided led cube bulbs in place of the incandescent bulb and bam. instant hawtness. fibers for the 8w replacement, and the cube bulb as the 27W replacement. my LED tails will only be for brake/signal/reverse. the current signal and reverse areas will be changed into red and will be the running lights in the back.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
wait.... so being a BMW employee you can get your hands on parts removed from wrecked cars that were taken back to the BMW bodyshop for repair?
but of course, how else do you think i got my hands on my '06 5 series projectors for my E36 headlight retrofit project. i also have a driver side headlight from the '08 X5 and a passenger side headlight from an '08 535i. i also have a passenger side taillight from an '05 750 and both headlights from an '05 330 sedan. i don't work for the bodyshop but i do have access to it. i work for a BMW dealership.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

but of course, how else do you think i got my hands on my '06 5 series projectors for my E36 headlight retrofit project. i also have a driver side headlight from the '08 X5 and a passenger side headlight from an '08 535i. i also have a passenger side taillight from an '05 750 and both headlights from an '05 330 sedan.

..... do you take requests???

Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

i know there is nothing wrong with LED's i just said that to try and be different you know. actually i went to my shed and found an old headlight thats from an '04-'07 5 series and it uses LED's and one of them goes into the fiber optic tube only on one end so the taillight that i had posted up is actually from an '08 5series and im pretty sure it uses LED's only on one side of the fiber optic tube. thats why its brighter on the side closer to the quarter panel than the side that meets with the trunk lid. i will look into this and go from there.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM

..... do you take requests???

what you need my friend??? i'll see what i can do. you let me know.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what you need my friend??? i'll see what i can do. you let me know.
lol nothing for now... just making sure i've got options tho
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM

lol nothing for now... just making sure i've got options tho
damn you
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

damn you
heck I dunno.... how about a hid bulb/ballast setup that will fit the projectors that I got from Goon? I'll take a pic of the stock bulb real quick for you to see what kind it is.

edit will happen in just a sec
Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20headlights/

alright that's what i got. H7u bulb i think. whatchu got. hmm this should go to PM actually...... PM me and i'll give you my AIM sn. i don't feel like deleting enough PMs make enough room to carry on a convo since i'm already 98% full.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 PM

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...%20headlights/

alright that's what i got. H7u bulb i think. whatchu got. hmm this should go to PM actually...... PM me and i'll give you my AIM sn. i don't feel like deleting enough PMs make enough room to carry on a convo since i'm already 98% full.
Thats an H7 and they sell a H7 to D2S adapter on ebay.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Thats an H7 and they sell a H7 to D2S adapter on ebay.
oh cool. so i guess as long as he can find me a set of hids and ballasts out of one of his wrecked cars i'm set?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm interested in a set of these.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:24 PM

oh cool. so i guess as long as he can find me a set of hids and ballasts out of one of his wrecked cars i'm set?
yeah, just go on ebay and there should be adapters for the H7. let me know. all i have are D2S bulbs.

ok back on topic guys. before greeny locks this thread. kzoosho, any progress on your project???
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM

i want some led tails for my 92 se, lemme kno
Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Well, just like DanNY, I also toyed with the notion of LED tails on a 3rd gen back when I had my '93 SE. I even partially put some together:
http://nubiannupe.gq.nu/photo.html (scroll to near the bottom of the page.

Now that I finally got another 3rd gen, and since I'll be waiting for some other mechanical 'things' to get completed, maybe I'll pull those lights out of my closet and work on them.

Should make for a rather interesting side project.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey any update on the build?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Sorry guys i have been hella busy. I have one layed out right now. Here is a pic of hwat i have layed out so far.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:14 PM

very nice. what about the sides by the quarter panels? are you going to put some more there as well? can't wait to see it put together and be lit up. keep us posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 PM

very nice. what about the sides by the quarter panels? are you going to put some more there as well? can't wait to see it put together and be lit up. keep us posted.
Because of the curve it will be its own seperate board there. I plan to run a row of leds there also. I hope to have one done by this weekend so i can put it on lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Well, just like DanNY, I also toyed with the notion of LED tails on a 3rd gen back when I had my '93 SE. I even partially put some together:
http://nubiannupe.gq.nu/photo.html (scroll to near the bottom of the page.

Now that I finally got another 3rd gen, and since I'll be waiting for some other mechanical 'things' to get completed, maybe I'll pull those lights out of my closet and work on them.

Should make for a rather interesting side project.
long time no see stranger...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Looks good - thought you abandoned it
Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 PM

i see some hard work around here.....i guess i gotta put some effort too
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 AM

i was on the domain a few days ago and i came across this nice set-up for led tailights

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
i was on the domain a few days ago and i came across this nice set-up for led tailights
The led setup looks nice but the overall look doesnt do it for me. Here is what i have done to mine.

Now we all know that the 93 tails arent clear like the 91 but they still dont look bad. I should have the turn signal done tonight.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Fox Body FTW

sick stuff!!

I would def. love a set of these
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 AM

it doesnt seem to look right on our cars
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Now should i do reverse too?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

[/IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/kzoosho/DSCF6437.jpg[/IMG]
[/IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/kzoosho/DSCF6434.jpg[/IMG]

Now should i do reverse too?
sure, since you are already there, and it would be pointless to have a single bulb to change, and it be the one you use the least.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Fox Body FTW

luving it
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM

K done.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that is pretty sick. now I am gonna hafta make me some...
Old 11-09-2008, 01:51 PM

How does this work with running lights vs braking lights?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
How does this work with running lights vs braking lights?
Some people prefer pulse width modulation but i use resistors. They are easier to work with to me and i havent had problems with them.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

cool stuff Kzoosho

what size LEDs are those again? and can you take a shot of the backside of the board? when I do my LED tails i plan to pack them together a little tighter than that.. so i'm wonering how messy yours is.

Quick Reply: Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?