3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?

I was wondering if any one has made a set of led tails at all for the 3rd gen? If not i am going to led my newly acquired 91 SE. Once done i would be willing to make a couple sets of boards for people. I will post pics once done.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought about doing it but realized that the stock SE lights look excellent already.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by mikekantor
I thought about doing it but realized that the stock SE lights look excellent already.
+1, lowered VE's from the rear + 225 or bigger tires = Sex
Old 09-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor

i'll make em better and for less than kzoosho.

jk. congrats on the new ride and good luck on the lighting. this guys an animal...
Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'll be making a set after i move and have space to lay out a worktable and solder something up. mine will be unnecessarily complicated tho. Just the way I like to do stuff.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Edited we have talked lol

Last edited by kzoosho; 09-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'll be making a set after i move and have space to lay out a worktable and solder something up. mine will be unnecessarily complicated tho. Just the way I like to do stuff.
wat u thinkin about doin?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:03 PM

I've wanted to LED my tail lights, but I have no idea how I would. It was something I really wanted to get into, but I never found enough info about the circuit boards and what not. Could you possibly make a write-up for the dare-devils in the forums? Or would that take up too much business?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 PM

There isn't too much of a secret on how to do it, if you have electronics experience.

It does, however, involve soldering some relatively small circuitry, and building votage regulation. Not as simple as just getting a bag full of red Radioshack LEDs and some perfboard.

You need the boards, LEDs, voltage regulators, and you need electronic flashers and PWM controllers for brakes/signals to work.

Here's a good write up for a nissan Pulsar
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35557
Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
UMMM....I used RED 1157 refractor ( wide angle ) LED bulbs .... looks / works great .. Does that count ???
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 AM
1993 SE

Ok this is good. I would love to see what u guys come up with. I definately would buy a set if they look good.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 AM

OK well i should have the tails off the car next weekend since i have to drive it all week. As far as a write up, there are a ton on www.hidplanet.com/forums just go there and do some reading and research.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GAMERA30
UMMM....I used RED 1157 refractor ( wide angle ) LED bulbs .... looks / works great .. Does that count ???
me likey wide angle stuff. there's a few cars, like the 09 Max, where you can literally see the reverse and turnsignal lights for MORE than 180 degrees.. rather than, say, a 1995 Grand Cherokee where the bulbs are blocked off from the side and you have to be 1 car away from it in a parking lot to notice it's about to back up. and if they are parked next to a bigger SUV and you can sorta see them but they can't see you.... well, wide-angle lights and LEDs are a nice thing to have. Contrary to what someone said in another reverse-light thread recently to the effect of (why bother with reverse lights? if the car is backing up, that's how you know they're backing up" but when you're checking your mirrors and gauges and looking around as any alert driver should, and when your car is moving and going over speedbumps and stuff.... it's not always easy to spot a car that's backing up slowly with burned-out backup lights. Plus it takes most drivers 1-2 seconds to move once in reverse, and 1 or 2 seconds of heads-up can save lives.

moral of the story.... wide-angle rocks! but don't just do them for the red... do them for all!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 AM

If i do mine i plan to do all leds man. You seen my 4th gen havent you? I have led everything.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I'm down for a purchase as long as they look good and are priced right. Keep us posted
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by kzoosho
If i do mine i plan to do all leds man. You seen my 4th gen havent you? I have led everything.
+10 hp fp sho

Dang, I was thinking of making my own. I wanna see uuuuurse! and I buy...maybe
Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i WOULD offer the type i'm making for sale except they are going to be INCREDIBLY time-intensive and I don't know if I can do but like, 4 sets a year, if that, plus you'd have to source taillight housings too since it's for 89-91 tails only and would use both GXE and SE tails.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 PM

Contrary to what someone said in another reverse-light thread recently to the effect of (why bother with reverse lights? if the car is backing up, that's how you know they're backing up" but when you're checking your mirrors and gauges and looking around as any alert driver should, and when your car is moving and going over speedbumps and stuff.... it's not always easy to spot a car that's backing up slowly with burned-out backup lights. Plus it takes most drivers 1-2 seconds to move once in reverse, and 1 or 2 seconds of heads-up can save lives.

moral of the story.... wide-angle rocks! but don't just do them for the red... do them for all!
and dat would be ME? lol ya i changed my reverse bulbs and turn signal to WIDE ANGLE LEDs dyam they r bright.....i changed turn signal to AMBER WIDE ANGLE LED and reverse bulbs to BRIGHT LIGHT BLUE....and i m thinking of putting RED WIDE ANGLE for tail and brake light bulbs.....They r gud...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by GAMERA30
ya dat counts....
Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM

I will keep every one updated. I am finishing up a set of 4th gen tails today. Once done with those i will get to pulling these apart and measuring.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 PM

I will keep every one updated. I am finishing up a set of 4th gen tails today. Once done with those i will get to pulling these apart and measuring.
have you made any for 95-96? or are we speaking about 97+ only?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
upgrade to 97-99 tails already
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Im doing 95-96's now.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Actually started considering this as well. Would def be in for a set.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I like the idea, actually.
I was thinking about it about four hours before this thread started.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

about 2 years ago...started it..and didn't finish.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY

That is alot of leds, Are those narrow 5mm?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:32 PM

me likey wide angle stuff. there's a few cars, like the 09 Max, where you can literally see the reverse and turnsignal lights for MORE than 180 degrees.. rather than, say, a 1995 Grand Cherokee where the bulbs are blocked off from the side and you have to be 1 car away from it in a parking lot to notice it's about to back up. and if they are parked next to a bigger SUV and you can sorta see them but they can't see you.... well, wide-angle lights and LEDs are a nice thing to have. Contrary to what someone said in another reverse-light thread recently to the effect of (why bother with reverse lights? if the car is backing up, that's how you know they're backing up" but when you're checking your mirrors and gauges and looking around as any alert driver should, and when your car is moving and going over speedbumps and stuff.... it's not always easy to spot a car that's backing up slowly with burned-out backup lights. Plus it takes most drivers 1-2 seconds to move once in reverse, and 1 or 2 seconds of heads-up can save lives.

Hey!!!

I really meant that in a way that you cannot always rely on people to make sure that the bulbs were working. Backup lights and brake lights are not useless, but I think that you cannot rely on them alone. You cannot see side viewable reverse lights if the vehicle comes into view. (Maybe due to an SUV or truck covering up the car's backside) We all hope they backup about 2 mph.

I see your point but that is only in the "I care about other people cars, so I'll make sure my lights are intact" world. I've seen people without brake lights and taillights, and one car that seems like they have a miswired because the middle brake light goes off when the person braked and stay on when the person gassed. I rather drive behind the latter.

But to be back on topic, those LED's configuration isn't my cup of tea.

And did someone revealed their secret LED project? (You know who you are)
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Hey!!!

I really meant that in a way that you cannot always rely on people to make sure that the bulbs were working. Backup lights and brake lights are not useless, but I think that you cannot rely on them alone. You cannot see side viewable reverse lights if the vehicle comes into view. (Maybe due to an SUV or truck covering up the car's backside) We all hope they backup about 2 mph.

I see your point but that is only in the "I care about other people cars, so I'll make sure my lights are intact" world. I've seen people without brake lights and taillights, and one car that seems like they have a miswired because the middle brake light goes off when the person braked and stay on when the person gassed. I rather drive behind the latter.

But to be back on topic, those LED's configuration isn't my cup of tea.

And did someone revealed their secret LED project? (You know who you are)
were you the person I told what I was doing? I know I told someone...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY

dyam finish that daNY
Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 AM

were you the person I told what I was doing? I know I told someone...

Yeah and I can't wait to see your project
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM

My cores should be here today so i can start making the tails. I will post progress pics along the way .
Old 10-11-2008, 01:21 AM

So I dropped off some cores at kzoosho's on Thursday and got LEDed while there...he is awesome! I got around to taking some pictures of my car today after watching a movie and here they are. Cant wait to see the 3rd gen lights with LEDS

Sorry they all look the same, they were the best ones since it was dark and I didnt have a tripod
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Alright so this thread seems like a dud... here's what I've got done in about 5 minutes just messing around. I would like to encourage those handy with photo editting software to tinker with pics of their cars and LED pattern designs. Who knows perhaps all the "blueprints" can be ready for someone to take on the task in the near future. Here's what I can up with...nothing perfect as it took about 5 minutes but its an idea

Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM

Alright so this thread seems like a dud... here's what I've got done in about 5 minutes just messing around. I would like to encourage those handy with photo editting software to tinker with pics of their cars and LED pattern designs. Who knows perhaps all the "blueprints" can be ready for someone to take on the task in the near future. Here's what I can up with...nothing perfect as it took about 5 minutes but its an idea

Nice pics. I will get something similar to the 4th gens but make it fit the 3rds.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM

hmmm if only i was keeping mine
Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM

So I dropped off some cores at kzoosho's on Thursday and got LEDed while there...he is awesome! I got around to taking some pictures of my car today after watching a movie and here they are. Cant wait to see the 3rd gen lights with LEDS

Sorry they all look the same, they were the best ones since it was dark and I didnt have a tripod

that is one hot ride
Old 10-15-2008, 12:23 PM

this looks interesting...

again
hope you can make it happen for our 3rd gens kzoosho.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
this looks interesting...

again
hope you can make it happen for our 3rd gens kzoosho.
Deff workin on it. Its going to be a lil more than i thought but its deff doable.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Deff workin on it. Its going to be a lil more than i thought but its deff doable.
keep us posted cuz i really want this for my 3rd gen as well. i also have another thought about this but not doing the whole LED thing... sort of? i know that the new BMW's have fiber optic lights in their tails and headlights. have you looked into those? if not just look at the new 5 series, 6 series and the new redesigned 3 series taillights and you will see what im talking about. i know it uses an LED from one end of the fiber optic that extends all the way to other end of the fiber optic.

Quick Reply: Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?