3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Going out of my mind

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Going out of my mind

Ok, where to start. About several months ago, car started to run like crap- like only running on 5 cyl's. Diagnosis? Dead injector. I get a new one and replaced the broken one. Car runs sweet for a while. Then again, car starts to run like doo doo butter. It's another injector. At this point, I bite the bullet and decide to replace ALL of the remaining injectors. Car ran great for a good while. Today on my way back from the boneyard, the symptoms started again. I got to a light, and all 6 starting firing again. I got home, had to put some stuff away, then when I went to park it, it kept on with the 5 cyl. At this point, I'm thinking I got a lemon for one of the injectors, or something else is causing the f*** ups. The injector harness was replace when I rebuilt my transmission last year, so I hope it isn't that. Any ideas guys before I
Old 09-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

where did you get your replacement injectors from?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
where did you get your replacement injectors from?
Friend of my dad's runs an auto parts shop; we went with him because he gave us the best prices. I specifically asked him to get them new. May I ask what brand injector's we use?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM

edit: hmmm thats weird.. when i replaced all mine i had no problems... but costed me $1100
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Found out the name brand of the injectors we bought, it's Python Injectors. Again, the guy assured me these were new; I figured he wasn't lying since we didn't have to give him the core injectors (ala remaned). Car ran fine today, could there be something I'm missing?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:35 PM

The factory injectors are Bosch and have a color code on them, either pink or green. Non Bosch injectors aren't necessairly bad, but members have had problems with them. Used/rebuilt injectors tend to be a problem. Your problem could also be your spark plug wires going bad. Swap plug wires between the problem cylinder and a good cylinder and see what that does or just replace them now if they are old.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Found out the name brand of the injectors we bought, it's Python Injectors. Again, the guy assured me these were new; I figured he wasn't lying since we didn't have to give him the core injectors (ala remaned). Car ran fine today, could there be something I'm missing?
the similarity between Python injectors and 100% pure feces is OVERWHELMING.

http://forums.maxima.org/6351482-post4.html
http://forums.maxima.org/6515182-post30.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4386032-post39.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4553606-post10.html

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 09-25-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM

I have Bosch spark wires, and one of them was bad. They have lifetime warranty, so I got a new set about a month ago. And by color code, do you mean the harness hooks up to the injector? All of them are pink.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:14 PM
mod or sell?

I have Bosch spark wires, and one of them was bad. They have lifetime warranty, so I got a new set about a month ago. And by color code, do you mean the harness hooks up to the injector? All of them are pink.
the injector itself is pink, but on the injector there is a color dot (blue, black, yellow, or green). you having an 89 do not have to worry about it. However as others have pointed out, the Python injectors have been as bad as remans in my experience. Go Bosch or OE or redo the job several times.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the injector itself is pink, but on the injector there is a color dot (blue, black, yellow, or green). you having an 89 do not have to worry about it. However as others have pointed out, the Python injectors have been as bad as remans in my experience. Go Bosch or OE or redo the job several times.
Greeeeaaaaaat. I knew there was something fishy. If these are starting to fail, which is what it feels like, I'm going to try to return them ALL. For a refund. 5 of my injectors are those Python ones. The first one was BeckArnley, are these 100% pure feces too?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
mod or sell?

the beck may be ok, but without seeing it's markings it will be hard to know
Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Well it's basically come down to this. The Python pieces of turd have warranty on them. Yesterday and today the car ran fine, so I'm just going to wait it's inevitable doom. When they fail, I'll see if I can get a refund, or get replacements to sell on ebay. Afterward, it's Bosch time.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:57 PM

My understanding is that injectors are either good or bad. They are like a switch that is either on or off, so once off, they do not come back to being on or good again. So if it is running good sometimes, could it be the injectors?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by RapidRoy
My understanding is that injectors are either good or bad. They are like a switch that is either on or off, so once off, they do not come back to being on or good again. So if it is running good sometimes, could it be the injectors?
Actually, nissan injectors do exactly that, first onset of failure is almost always intermittent, then as time goes on it gets worse until the injector/s fails permanently.

i've had 4 injectors fail on my VE and VG maximas, all started out as a intermittent failure.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM

Ah, I may have been given faulty information. It does make sense though, it seems like anything mechanical or electrical could deteriorate gradualy. Thanks for the info, could come in handy someday.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Actually, nissan injectors do exactly that, first onset of failure is almost always intermittent, then as time goes on it gets worse until the injector/s fails permanently.

i've had 4 injectors fail on my VE and VG maximas, all started out as a intermittent failure.
That's exactly how mine started going out. It was off for a couple of minutes, then kicked back on at a light. Then it was off for a couple of hours, kicked back on. It's stayed on for the past two days, so no annoyances yet. I just hate how much the car struggles running on one less cylinder, I feel like I would be better off driving a Geo Metro.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:52 PM

I just hate how much the car struggles running on one less cylinder, I feel like I would be better off driving a Geo Metro.
LOL Ya right our cars would dust a Metro on 3 cylinders
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tampamaximus
Let me put it to you this way- getting to 40 MPH with a dead injector is like getting to 60ish when the car is running fine. It sucks hard.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:54 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Tampamaximus
You say that...... go unplug three spark plugs and run a Metro. you'll be humbled.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Have you checked for fuel system contaminants yet? Sound like a story I heard B4, and it wound up being the fuel lining deterioating into you fuel rail, injectors, fuel pump...I wound take a peek in the fuel tank for contaminants that were returned to the tank from upstream.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:05 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
You say that...... go unplug three spark plugs and run a Metro. you'll be humbled.
Been there, done that.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Ok, where to start. About several months ago, car started to run like crap- like only running on 5 cyl's. Diagnosis? Dead injector. I get a new one and replaced the broken one. Car runs sweet for a while. Then again, car starts to run like doo doo butter. It's another injector. At this point, I bite the bullet and decide to replace ALL of the remaining injectors. Car ran great for a good while. Today on my way back from the boneyard, the symptoms started again. I got to a light, and all 6 starting firing again. I got home, had to put some stuff away, then when I went to park it, it kept on with the 5 cyl. At this point, I'm thinking I got a lemon for one of the injectors, or something else is causing the f*** ups. The injector harness was replace when I rebuilt my transmission last year, so I hope it isn't that. Any ideas guys before I
Did you check the fuel pressure - and like Cmax said those fuel system items, check the fuel system completely. This way you can check the fuel pump while your at it, and maybe a deteriorating fuel hose(s) system....like the tiny fuel rail hoses...mine started cracking and the car would run horrible. Could they have possibly installed the injectors wrong or damaged the harness connections?

Also those hoses from the fuel filter and pressure regulator, and return line, yours look like originals. Mine were bad so I replaced them.

While your at it, you could test for a leak by pinching the blow-by hose, is there a change in engine speed.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM

It has already been said but I wanted to reaffirm that the injectors don't usually just outright fail. They work intermittingly. For example, my #2 cylinder injector has been working intermittingly the last few months. When I start the car, if it's a hard start, my check engine light will come on and the car will run on 5 cylinders for a few seconds (up to a minute). There were a few days that it ran on 5 cylinders 100% of the time. Normally, however, as long as I hold the starter long enough to avoid a hard or rough start it only lasts for a few seconds. I need to replace it but it's under the intake and I haven't had the motivation to dig into it yet :P
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 AM

UPDATE: Talked to the guy at the auto parts place. We told him our problem, and said those python injectors were a pile of trash. They have a year warranty, so we asked if we could exchange the five pythons for the five Beck Arnley and pay the difference; he said that was fine. Now, my question is: Should I be worried about these injectors too? They should be coming in today, so I can try and take pictures of the markings.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
mod or sell?

UPDATE: Talked to the guy at the auto parts place. We told him our problem, and said those python injectors were a pile of trash. They have a year warranty, so we asked if we could exchange the five pythons for the five Beck Arnley and pay the difference; he said that was fine. Now, my question is: Should I be worried about these injectors too? They should be coming in today, so I can try and take pictures of the markings.
I'd be worried that B/A is reboxing python as they don't make their own parts.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'd be worried that B/A is reboxing python as they don't make their own parts.
wait... a car parts company that doesn't make their own parts? huh? i don't doubt it knowing how some companies are.... but why?

also do pythons have any distinctive characteristics that he can use to make sure the B/A's aren't just reboxed pythons?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
wait... a car parts company that doesn't make their own parts? huh? i don't doubt it knowing how some companies are.... but why?
MOST big companies make very few parts themselves. It isn't cost effective for them.
also do pythons have any distinctive characteristics that he can use to make sure the B/A's aren't just reboxed pythons?
if they have the outline of the nissan hamburger on them, he's fine. otherwise they aren't worth squat based on my current experience.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:05 PM

MOST big companies make very few parts themselves. It isn't cost effective for them.

if they have the outline of the nissan hamburger on them, he's fine. otherwise they aren't worth squat based on my current experience.
Update again. Dad picked up the injectors today. Turns out someone who works there switched one of the B/A's with a Python; I still remember how the Python's looked like. This gave me an opportunity to compare between OEM, B/A and the Pythons. The B/A looks like a mirror image of the OEM. The Python's look poorly built. No burger outline on the B/A's, but I'm pretty sure (and hoping) they are at least OEM build quality. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 PM
mod or sell?

do the B/A have any sort of space on them where something may have been ground off of the plastic?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 PM

do the B/A have any sort of space on them where something may have been ground off of the plastic?
Doesn't seem like it. I only opened one of the bags up, so I wouldn't know about the others. I'm still trying to get those pics, I'm having some issues. If anything they'll be up by tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Got a pic of all three. It's hard to tell anything from this picture, but inspecting them personally, it looks as though the Pythons are cheaply built. The B/As look beefy in quality; it's a carbon copy of the OEM. It even has that little metal stub on the top (no idea what this is called), the python has nothing.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Update: Got all the new injectors installed; car runs like a dream again. Thing to note, while taking out the pythons, the filter screen got STUCK in the fuel rail. Talk about quality. I have no doubts that B/A just reboxed these injectors from another manufacture, but if I had to guess, they got these from the same company who manufactured the OEM injectors.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That's for the information about the injectors; I think that my 91' Maxima sohc is going thru the same problem. I had the the since 95 and I do not want to get rid of the car so I'm going to replace my injectors too. I have the same problem with it feeling like its running on 5 cylinders. I've changed all the plug wires, cap, rotor but have the same problem. Again thank you for the information!!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Meant to say thanks at the beginning of my posting...
Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Same thing here on my 93 SE with 178K. I put some BG fuel injector cleaner through and it seemed to fix it right away. Then yesterday it came back. Now after researching this here it seems like I have an intermittent injector on the back row under the plenum. I'm going to replace all 3 with Bosch as soon as interntautomar will take my money

I also have a small exhaust leak in the B-pipe and it sure starts sputtering when the injector goes!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 PM

What is the difference with blk dot or blue dot injector?

Currently one VGE, with opened intake, sits in the garage. It has one blue dot injector dead, has been taken out... I have spare rail full of blk dot injectors. Want to get that VGE on the road again: What happens if five blue dots remain, and just one blk dot is used?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Wiking
What is the difference with blk dot or blue dot injector?

Currently one VGE, with opened intake, sits in the garage. It has one blue dot injector dead, has been taken out... I have spare rail full of blk dot injectors. Want to get that VGE on the road again: What happens if five blue dots remain, and just one blk dot is used?
Probably nothing, i have two ve injectors in my gxe at the moment, runs fine. Go ahead and swap them in.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Wasn't the difference in the actual connectors to the injectors?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Probably nothing, i have two ve injectors in my gxe at the moment, runs fine. Go ahead and swap them in.
Thks, its going in. Lets see how it goes. Intake will be also modded heavily...

Heres pics of em two; I would guess the blk one would give more narrow 'shower' - not bothered to check.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/2

Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 AM

I currently have 5 blue and one black injector. I can confirm it will work or at least has for me.

Quick Reply: Going out of my mind