3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Totally new to nissans..help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Totally new to nissans..help!!

Hey everybody, let me introduce myself first. My name is Chris, and I've owned only Hondas my whole life. (I'm about 18 1/2 now) I recently (as in 2 months ago) bought an Accord after owning two CRX's. I thought the Accord would be a good compromise between speed and show-car potential, but I was wrong. While there are many aftermarket things for the Accord, there aren't many go-fast parts for it, unless I want to spend $5k on a Prelude engine swap.

Everybody on the Accord message board likes the Maxima, and said that they are way faster than any Accord. I looked at the numbers and I was impressed! I've narrowed my search to a 3rd gen, because they are inexpensive and I like that body style the best. But I have some questions about them, since I'm a honda boy and I know nothing about Nissans, except for the Sentra that my mom used to have. If someone could answer these for me, that would be great!

1) Since the 3rd gen stretches from 89-94, are there any slight differences between them in any of those years? For example, 90-91 Accords and 92-93 accords have slightly different front grilles, shorter taillights, and like 5 more HP. Is there anything like this for the Max?

2) What interior/exterior colors were offered for the 3rd gen?

3) Does anyone know of any galleries that show interior and exterior shots?

4) What is the aftermarket following like? Are there coilovers, springs, bodykits, custom taillights, projector headlights, clear corners/bumpers, carbon fiber hoods, etc?

5) What is the lug pattern? (I want to know if my Accord rims will fit on a Max)

6) Are there only GXE and SE trim levels?

7) Did they come in coupe form?

8) Does the GXE come with leather?

9) What power options do they have?

10) Are they reliable, and are they expensive to work on?

11) What is a general 1/4 time for a 5speed 3rd gen?

12) Are there any motor swaps that are compatible with the Max?

I have more questions than this, but I can't think of them right now. Rest assured I'll be posting them in the future. Thank you all who answer any of these! Like I said, I'm totally new to Maximas, since I've only known about Hondas... (I've seen the light, I guess you could say)

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2001, 01:33 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

this should answer most of your questions

only one thing else Maxima mods are few and kind of hard to find for the most part. body kits :3 stillen being the only decent one.
clear corners
intakes
y pipes
and some other small stuff

click here

look in my sig there are links to pics of my gxe and my se 5spd there.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:07 PM

a few more answers....

welcome to the world of nissan! a 3rd gen. is a great max esp. for a first. they came in GXE and SE, try to find an SE if you can. they are usually well priced and probably about as expensive to work on as an accord. there are some modifications for the 3rd gen. but 4th gen and up have a few more (i.e. superchargers) they are also very dependable and dont break down very often with good maintence. there are all sorts of power options, basically anything you can think of. these are mostly found on the GXE. not always tho. i hope you get one. good luck!
Old 11-10-2001, 02:13 PM

Re: Totally new to nissans..help!!

Originally posted by otterizer

1) Since the 3rd gen stretches from 89-94, are there any slight differences between them in any of those years? For example, 90-91 Accords and 92-93 accords have slightly different front grilles, shorter taillights, and like 5 more HP. Is there anything like this for the Max?

2) What interior/exterior colors were offered for the 3rd gen?

3) Does anyone know of any galleries that show interior and exterior shots?

4) What is the aftermarket following like? Are there coilovers, springs, bodykits, custom taillights, projector headlights, clear corners/bumpers, carbon fiber hoods, etc?

5) What is the lug pattern? (I want to know if my Accord rims will fit on a Max)

6) Are there only GXE and SE trim levels?

7) Did they come in coupe form?

8) Does the GXE come with leather?

9) What power options do they have?

10) Are they reliable, and are they expensive to work on?

11) What is a general 1/4 time for a 5speed 3rd gen?

12) Are there any motor swaps that are compatible with the Max?

I have more questions than this, but I can't think of them right now. Rest assured I'll be posting them in the future. Thank you all who answer any of these! Like I said, I'm totally new to Maximas, since I've only known about Hondas... (I've seen the light, I guess you could say)

Thanks!
1) Yes, 89-94 GXEs used the 160hp VG30E engine, the 89-91 SE's used the 160hp VG30E engine, however for the 92-94 SE they switched to the 190 hp VE30DE engine. There were some style differences between the different models, but to be honest with I have never cared enough to notice exactly what they were...

2) I dunno
3) Look around on the forum here... I'm sure you'll find some...
4) There is some of that stuff for them... not really into that type of thing to know exactly what
5) 5 lug pattern, don't know the spacing.
6) To the best of my knowledge - yes
7) No
8) Some of them did
9) GXE's have the "Grandma" touch pad on the outside, options are: heated mirrors, power windows, seats, locks, etc... They are pretty well loaded with features. Not all have all of the options and I believe some options were not availble on the SE.
10) There is a known VTC issue with the 92-94 motor (search the forum for more info). And the automatic transmissions... uhh... could be stronger (a lot stronger).
11) That has been discussed a ton of times... do a search for it. VG30E cars I think are ~16 second runs with the VE cars running mid to low 15s.
12) Not that I know of
Old 11-10-2001, 02:47 PM

dude, get you a 92-94 SE 5sp. i wish i could do it over and get one of those. with an intake and y-pipe, those will really move. also, there are a ton of mods for the maxima. use the search function or the faq to answer some of your questions.
Old 11-10-2001, 03:19 PM

Get the 92-94 SE with a 5 speed. The difference between those and the GXE's is night and day. For mods, you can get BMW lights, CAI, Y-pipe, clear corners, body kits, and most importantly, NOS. With just a few mods, you'll be in the 14's and with NOS you'll be getting a lot lower. I'm not sure who has the fastest 3rd gen, but I'd expect somewhere in the 13's.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok, I'm confused. Is the GXE a higher trim level than an SE?

Also about the BMW lights, do they just bolt right on or do you have to do a conversion?

Thanks for all your replies! I'm still learning.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Totally new to nissans..help!!

Welcome to the world of Maxima. I just got mine last month after a year of research and looking. I actually wanted a 5-series BMW but well, heh heh $$$$. This is the next best thing (which is saying a lot) but cheaper and just as good looking! It did everything I wanted: speed, handling, comfort, 5-speed. I was looking for an upgrade to my dad's old Accord that was "cascaded down" to me, so this was a logical choice.

1)SE's come with 5-speeds or autos, GXEs are auto only. SEs and GXEs have different trim, wheels, and grilles, and the SE has a spoiler. In 92 the grille and taillight styling changed a little, not much else (besides the new SE engine). SE models also have firmer suspension and wider wheels but tires are same size.

2)see links below

3)see links below

4)No: coilovers, f/r lights, carbon fibre anything, bolt-on engine mods like headers, intake manifolds, super/turbochargers.
Have: several springs, struts, clear corners, a couple(?) ground effect kits, exhaust stuff, intakes (not manifolds), sway bars and strut tower braces that don't fit the 92-94 SE without help. One gripe we have for 3rd Gens is the lack of aftermarket upgrades.

5)Lug pattern is 5x114.3 (4.5") and 66.1mm centerbore. Depending on how big the rims/tires you want to fit on, you should ask here in detail (offset, width, etc) to be sure - not too much room under there, but the right combo can go as wide as a 235 size tire.

6)Yes, unless you are not in the US.

7)No, but it looks good anyway

8)Optional leather on both GXE and SE.

9)Everything except trunks in the early years and passenger seat. No heated seats. Some adjustments on power driver's seat are manual. Just about all the regular creature comforts except automatic climate control are available in the SE (unless you are from Canada, like me!) Some early GXEs may have a digital dash display and automatic sonar ride control, and GXEs can come loaded to the gills or plain and simple.

10)Besides VTCs and auto trannys mentioned below, the exhaust studs tend to break - somewhat costly to repair. Also window mechanisms fail and door locks may go wonky (this is an easy fix).

11)GXEs and 89-91 SEs (VG30E motor) run about 16.5 to 17 at ~80mph stock and 92-94 SEs run 15.5 to high 15's at ~90+mph, depending on transmission in both cases.

12)Don't know (don't think so)

Here's some links I've collected to get more specifics and info:

The 3rd Gen website (good forum here too): http://gen3.4mg.com/
MaxFAQ: http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/index.htm
Kaleb's 3rd Gen site: http://www.kalebonline.com/maxima/default.asp
Craig Brace's site: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

Also check out the stickies at the top of the forum and the FAQs listed on the main Maxima.org page. Happy reading!
Old 11-10-2001, 04:22 PM

ok, I'm confused. Is the GXE a higher trim level than an SE?

Also about the BMW lights, do they just bolt right on or do you have to do a conversion?

Thanks for all your replies! I'm still learning.
GXEs and SEs are just "different", not higher or lower - it all depends on how the cars are optioned. In Canada there's a "Brougham" model which is basically a fully loaded GXE.

Try searching for the BMW thing or look around the pages I gave you. I don't think they just bolt on.
Old 11-10-2001, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for all that info! I just found this page: http://www.sbnw39840.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/stuscar.htm and I was wondering where this body kit is available? I think it's beautiful!

I'm still doing my research..it's kinda getting disappointed with the lack of aftermarket upgrades..I'm so used to hondas with the riceboy following. I would get a 4th gen max except they're way more money and I don't like the taillights as much. :|
Old 11-10-2001, 06:14 PM
Neice Anne

thanks for all that info! I just found this page: http://www.sbnw39840.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/stuscar.htm and I was wondering where this body kit is available? I think it's beautiful!

I'm still doing my research..it's kinda getting disappointed with the lack of aftermarket upgrades..I'm so used to hondas with the riceboy following. I would get a 4th gen max except they're way more money and I don't like the taillights as much. :|

That's a stillen bodykit. It's available quite a few different places, the only one I can remember is stillen.com though. Don't be dissapointed man, the only aftermarket support we don't have is riceboy **** like Alteezas and stuff, although I do wish they made superchargers or turbos.. these cars don't need to be modded very much to go fast and look great though! It takes a lot of work to get an Accord goin like a 92se, and if you get some nice rims, a nice color, and a body kit you're set looks wise!

Old 11-10-2001, 06:28 PM

styling differences (89-94):

89, 90, 91:
-split front grille with "Nissan" in lower right corner (chrome grill: GXE.....body color grille: SE)
-black center piece in between red taillights

92, 93, 94:
-front grille (5 horizontal split) with oval nissan logo in center (chrome grill: GXE....body color grille: SE)
-red and white center piece in between red taillights

89, 90:
-flat-sliver colored wheels (on SE)

91, 92, 93, 94:
-chrome alloy wheels (on SE)

GXE is the base model, SE is the sportier end

GXE:
-chrome molding around side windows
-black speedometer, tach
-auto tranny only
-no spoiler or fog lights (unless added)

SE:
-black molding around side windows
-white speedometer, tach
-foglights, spolier
-can be auto or 5 speed manual
Old 11-10-2001, 06:39 PM

some common problems with 3rd gen's:

-Bose stereo (quite a pain but when working properly, sounds great)
-foglight blubs
-spoiler may loosen from trunk deck
-tranny (after awhile usually)

those are all the common problems i know of or my car had

overall its a really reliable car...the 12 spoke SE wheels are a pain to clean though and dont let them get gunked up too much or its even harder to get them clean...trust me i walk away fromt he car with sore fingers all the time
Old 11-10-2001, 11:37 PM

More stuff I forgot

SEs have standard 4-wheel disc brakes, with optional ABS, GXEs have rear drums with optional 4-wheel disc antilock brakes.
Driver's side airbag was optional in some years and standard later on (92-94?).

We also have Brembo disc brake rotors available (fronts only I think) They come slotted or cross-drilled or vanilla I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 11-11-2001, 01:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So basically you would all recommend a 92 SE? 190 hp would be quite nice.. Also, how much is the Stillen kit? Do you know if there are any replica kits of it? Stillen stuff is pretty expensive.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:43 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

email me

So basically you would all recommend a 92 SE? 190 hp would be quite nice.. Also, how much is the Stillen kit? Do you know if there are any replica kits of it? Stillen stuff is pretty expensive.
I can get you a good price. Cant post. Stillen is watching you
seriously though email me for a good price.
and no there are no replicas that I know of.
yeah a 92-94 se would suit you best
Old 11-11-2001, 08:14 AM

the whole stillen kit will run you a somewhat whopping 827 bucks i believe. stillen also sells their own cross drilled rotors as well as chips and clutches. its well worth checkin out and buying if u got the cash! Stillen
Old 11-11-2001, 11:53 AM

yeah 92-94 SEs are the best, thats when they got the 190 hp engine (gxes have the 160)...i have a 92 SE
Old 11-11-2001, 12:33 PM

if you can find the 94se out of the 92-94 se get it.you will be vtc problem free
Old 11-11-2001, 06:24 PM
Neice Anne

Originally posted by maximum3rdgen
the whole stillen kit will run you a somewhat whopping 827 bucks i believe. stillen also sells their own cross drilled rotors as well as chips and clutches. its well worth checkin out and buying if u got the cash! Stillen

Try like 520...

Old 11-11-2001, 10:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could someone explain what the VTC problem is? I saw something on a website that talked about re-wiring the VTC..it's something like Variable Timing Control? So does your timing get messed up or something?

Oh yeah, what the heck is a pop charger?