3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

possible project car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 AM

possible project car.

I found a new project car, its a 93 SE 5spd in pearl white but there are a few issues that it has. the car is misfiring, which isn't a problem. since it'll either be coilpack or injector. that wont be a problem since i tore down my original car to all the way to the ks before. my biggest concern is the transmission issue. as i mentioned, it is a 5spd, but it pops out of gear. as of now i dont know how the car drives because i'm going to look at it on saturday. my question is, would this be a problem with bearings and syncros?

also i found a DIY for transmission rebuild, but it was for a 4th gen maxima. from what i understand, the 4th gen maxima 5spd has the same internal parts as a 3rd gen tranny but it doesn't mount up the same on the tranny mount locations. Is this true?

for those in houston texas (preferrably in SW alief area) Where is the best place to do a transmission rebuild?

Are their good rebuild kits that include syncros? i also one on autozone that includes the syncro's but cost +$400.

I'm willing to learn out to do a rebuild as this will be a project car. please chime in if you have any information.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:02 AM

My 87 Nissan Pulsar had this problem after someone stole it. Started slipping out of third gear. I just swapped out the tranny for another 5spd. You can prolly get another tranny for cheaper than it costs to crack it open and figure out what happened. My 2 cent
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Tampamaximus
My 87 Nissan Pulsar had this problem after someone stole it. Started slipping out of third gear. I just swapped out the tranny for another 5spd. You can prolly get another tranny for cheaper than it costs to crack it open and figure out what happened. My 2 cent
yea... but if you fix it and put in all new shiftybits, then the tranny will be SOOOOOO much better than any off-the-shelf used tranny you'll find. Plus the VLSD tranny is gonna be a lot harder to find... I just happened to buy one off Colombianmax when i went to Chicago for Maxus 08, and his 3rd gen had frame damage that changed his mind about swapping for a 5spd... so he sold it to me. But he gets to check his yard for 3rd gens on a daily basis.....
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM

yea that's what i want to do.. rebuild the tranny, so anyone know if its a similar rebuild as gen 4 trannys?

i heard a lot of stories about awesome rebuilds so i want that also.