3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 11:59 AM

Power Steering Problems

Hey guys,
I was driving home from work yesterday and as I was turning into my driveway. I heard a loud moaning sound coming from the left side of my Maxima. I am suspecting that it has something to do with the power steering system as the moaning sound only occurs when I turn the steering wheel left or right. It was dark then and I did not bother to check until this morning. Popped the hood this morning and noticed that there was a big mess of fluid around the power steering fluid reservoir. Opened the reservoir cap and noticed that fluid was low. I topped the reservoir off with some power steering fluid. I started the engine and turned the steering wheel left and right. Check the fluid level again and noticed the level had dropped a bit. Proceeded to top off the reservoir. Went for a test drive after that. Got back in my driveway and popped the hood again. This time power steering fluid was flowing out of the power steering reservoir cap. I checked the cap and it was installed correctly. The fluid that was coming out looks emulsified so there is air in the system. At this point, I really don't have time to deal with it as I have to get my *** to work. I am thinking that I have to bleed the system of air and it may be a good time just to flush the power steering hydraulic system of the old fluid and get some new fluid in there. Also I could check if any of the hoses have leaks and maybe replace them. If this still does not solve my problem, then I may have a problem with the power steering pump or the rack itself. Not sure which at this moment????
Do you guys have anything to add, comments, or suggestions? Thanks for your help. And Kaleb, I maybe calling you up at Courtesy for parts soon.
Kevin
Old 11-29-2001, 03:31 PM

Re: Power Steering Problems

Originally posted by G3Max
Hey guys,
I was driving home from work yesterday and as I was turning into my driveway. I heard a loud moaning sound coming from the left side of my Maxima. I am suspecting that it has something to do with the power steering system as the moaning sound only occurs when I turn the steering wheel left or right. It was dark then and I did not bother to check until this morning. Popped the hood this morning and noticed that there was a big mess of fluid around the power steering fluid reservoir. Opened the reservoir cap and noticed that fluid was low. I topped the reservoir off with some power steering fluid. I started the engine and turned the steering wheel left and right. Check the fluid level again and noticed the level had dropped a bit. Proceeded to top off the reservoir. Went for a test drive after that. Got back in my driveway and popped the hood again. This time power steering fluid was flowing out of the power steering reservoir cap. I checked the cap and it was installed correctly. The fluid that was coming out looks emulsified so there is air in the system. At this point, I really don't have time to deal with it as I have to get my *** to work. I am thinking that I have to bleed the system of air and it may be a good time just to flush the power steering hydraulic system of the old fluid and get some new fluid in there. Also I could check if any of the hoses have leaks and maybe replace them. If this still does not solve my problem, then I may have a problem with the power steering pump or the rack itself. Not sure which at this moment????
Do you guys have anything to add, comments, or suggestions? Thanks for your help. And Kaleb, I maybe calling you up at Courtesy for parts soon.
Kevin

- I get that moaning sound too when I steer right/left. I have not had any leaking however. I'm curious to know if you had any resolve there. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:30 PM

flush the power steering system out, and check out the tension of the belt on which the power steering pump runs on, this may be loose. make sure hoses are tight