3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

loose or broken wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM

loose or broken wipers

i got an 89 se and the wipers are loose. they grind the hood when in use and get stuck in it when you left the hood.

anyone have this issue, is there an adjustment or do i need a new system??
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
mod or sell?

the adjustment is to take the arm off the pivot and rotate it so the blade at rest sits in the right place on the windshield. when I did it to mine, I did a little testing before tightening the arms back up. That way I knew it would stop hitting the hood.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Thats exactly what I had to do with mine. Started to rub off the paint on my wipers.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM

To fix the problem the right way, I think you'll need a new Nissan part #28870
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1648_1675.html

Pictured here:

Mine was worn "egg-shaped" by quite a bit. I repaired my old one with a brass bushing insert (so it's better than new), but would have been easier if I new the part I needed before I started, to have pre-ordered it and had it ready. That's what I would recommend for you. ~$28 from link above or get it elsewhere. You may need a new driver's side bushing assembly also, however in my case (alos an '89 maxima) only the passenger's side one was worn; the driver's was in good shape. Greasing it (with a grease that won't degrade the plastic) will make a good old one work much better and last much longer.

I wrote up the procedure here:
http://forums.maxima.org/6819929-post28.html

You can test how worn yours is by lifting the wiper blades up, then grabbing the wiper arm and see how much rocking motion is in the wiper's pivot shaft. With good bushing there should be almost nu rocking motion play.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by jakeru
To fix the problem the right way, I think you'll need a new Nissan part #28870
http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1648_1675.html

Pictured here:

Mine was worn "egg-shaped" by quite a bit. I repaired my old one with a brass bushing insert (so it's better than new), but would have been easier if I new the part I needed before I started, to have pre-ordered it and had it ready. That's what I would recommend for you. ~$28 from link above or get it elsewhere. You may need a new driver's side bushing assembly also, however in my case (alos an '89 maxima) only the passenger's side one was worn; the driver's was in good shape. Greasing it (with a grease that won't degrade the plastic) will make a good old one work much better and last much longer.

I wrote up the procedure here:
http://forums.maxima.org/6819929-post28.html

You can test how worn yours is by lifting the wiper blades up, then grabbing the wiper arm and see how much rocking motion is in the wiper's pivot shaft. With good bushing there should be almost nu rocking motion play.

Hope this helps, good luck.
TOTALLY different issue.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Well I can say that the worn bushing was causing my hood to scrape on my wipers when I raised / lowered the hood, but admit in my case the wipers were not scraping the hood during normal wiping use (just when raising or lowering the hood.)

However, I would bet that if my '89 had that bushing worn out as much as it did, then probably most other maximas of a similar era have the same worn bushing problem. Of course YMMV, mine also have > 200k miles and live in rainy wet Seattle climate, maybe has had a more tough than average life on wiper components than your average.

IMO if the problem is a worn plastic bushing, the recommended "fix" of repositioning a wiper arm to a too high position to make it no longer hit the hood is a band-aid solution (IE: not a real fix to underlying problem.) FYI - Fixing the bushing had other benefits besides only preventing the hood from scraping the wiper arm. Specifically, what I've noticed is that the wiping action actually works better - the wiper more abruptly reverses direction when it gets to the high ending position, which and the blade "flips" over to wipe the other direction more reliably (even tested on old wiper blades, made them work almost as good as new.) Made a world of difference! I wouldn't be surprised if fixing a worn bushing allowed one to double of triple their wiper blade changing interval.

Anyhow, I've suggested a way to test for the problem that I am describing, so I shouldn't have set anyone on a wild goose chase with my advise here. My 2c! (and I would be surprised if there were many '89 maximas out there with unworn, good condition original wiper bushings. If you think yours aren't worn because you've adjusted them so they don't rub on the hood, test them the way I've described and you'll know for sure!)

PS - internetautomart - I would have recommended you as the first place to buy the bushing from, if you only carried the part (to be honest, I was a little surprised you don't... I'm sure my car can't be the only '89 with this problem.

Last edited by jakeru; 02-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jakeru
Well I can say that the worn bushing was causing my hood to scrape on my wipers when I raised / lowered the hood, but admit in my case the wipers were not scraping the hood during normal wiping use (just when raising or lowering the hood.)

However, I would bet that if my '89 had that bushing worn out as much as it did, then probably most other maximas of a similar era have the same worn bushing problem. Of course YMMV, mine also have > 200k miles and live in rainy wet Seattle climate, maybe has had a more tough than average life on wiper components than your average.

IMO if the problem is a worn plastic bushing, the recommended "fix" of repositioning a wiper arm to a too high position to make it no longer hit the hood is a band-aid solution (IE: not a real fix to underlying problem.) FYI - Fixing the bushing had other benefits besides only preventing the hood from scraping the wiper arm. Specifically, what I've noticed is that the wiping action actually works better - the wiper more abruptly reverses direction when it gets to the high ending position, which and the blade "flips" over to wipe the other direction more reliably (even tested on old wiper blades, made them work almost as good as new.) Made a world of difference! I wouldn't be surprised if fixing a worn bushing allowed one to double of triple their wiper blade changing interval.

Anyhow, I've suggested a way to test for the problem that I am describing, so I shouldn't have set anyone on a wild goose chase with my advise here. My 2c! (and I would be surprised if there were many '89 maximas out there with unworn, good condition original wiper bushings. If you think yours aren't worn because you've adjusted them so they don't rub on the hood, test them the way I've described and you'll know for sure!)

PS - internetautomart - I would have recommended you as the first place to buy the bushing from, if you only carried the part (to be honest, I was a little surprised you don't... I'm sure my car can't be the only '89 with this problem.
well i will give it a shot on automarts method first, cheap and easy. if it doesnt work out i will check the bushings. need to find a set of smaller hands to help me get in the cowl.

thank you guys for your help