3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Brakes!

ok so i'm wanting to do the z31 caliper mod on my 93 gxe... if i can't find an old 300 at the jy what other nissans use the same caliper/rotor combo? (i need new front rotors as well)
*I searched before posting this but just wanted to make sure.*
Once i have the calipers/ rotors i need to shave off about 3mm from the outside of the caliper so that it won't rub the rims correct? (i'm still on stock rims) but other than that it should just mount/bolt right up to the stock brackets. oh, i also already have rear discs. not drums...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM

and...

is it the 90-96 caliper or pre 1990 that i need?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
STFU n00b!

If you want Z31 calipers, then you want 84-89.

If you want Z32, then the 90 non-turbo are 26mm. 90 turbo and all 91-96 are 30mm thick.

also look at infiniti J30. same rotor as Z32, but caliper is 2piston slider similar to ours.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

im lost are you discussing front rotor upgrades or rear?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you talking about the front or rear?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM

sorry i should have specified.. i'm talking FRONT brake swap.
probably confused readers with the talk about rear drums. so z31 and z32 will both bolt right on and fit with a little trimming/shaving? and Z32 turbo (30mm) will not fit? is that correct?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Garf
sorry i should have specified.. i'm talking FRONT brake swap.
probably confused readers with the talk about rear drums. so z31 and z32 will both bolt right on and fit with a little trimming/shaving? and Z32 turbo (30mm) will not fit? is that correct?
http://www.mattblehm.com/300ZX_brakes.htm
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM

ahhh 'nuff said. thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM

and... z31/z32 rotors are what diameter? ...stock maxima rotors are ___" diameter? sorry i don't know that much about the brakes for our cars/ other nissans
Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

and... z31/z32 rotors are what diameter? ...stock maxima rotors are ___" diameter? sorry i don't know that much about the brakes for our cars/ other nissans
11.05"x22mm.... dunno what the 'offset' of the disc-to-hub is tho. i think the infiniti j30 rotors have a different offset than our cars, but the same OD.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
STFU n00b!

It's in the service data & specs section of the service manual. download and read. you'll learn lots.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM

ok so it looks like most nissan calipers will bolt right on from what i've found out... like s13's and even maximas as new as 04's.. just as long as the caliper/rotor combo fits under the stock rim. Will pretty much any nissan/infinity caliper bolt right up?
i cant find any trashed z31/2's around here so i'm hoping i can get s13 or newer maxima rotors to fit. i've heard of someone swapping in 04 rotors/calipers somewhere..
Old 02-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Good luck buddy! 2nd, 3rd & 4th gen have the smaller bolt for the cailper bracket/adapter/holder. The 00 -on up use the larger fasteners for the caliper bracket/holder/adapter. So who ever you've heard that from lied! Gen 2,3 & 4 use a 12x1.25mm bolt and 00-on up use a 14x1.5mm bolt. So you an make it fit by redrilling the your spindle while you're at it to fit those 14mm bolts. "NOW YOU'RE PERMANENTLY GONNA HAVE TO GO WITH 5, 5.5, 6TH GEN BRAKES ASSEMBLIES FOREVER!" Amen!

Last edited by CMax03; 02-16-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by CMax03
Good luck buddy! 2nd, 3rd & 4th gen have the smaller bolt for the cailper bracket/adapter/holder. The 00 -on up use the larger fasteners for the caliper bracket/holder/adapter. So who ever you've heard that from lied! Gen 2,3 & 4 use a 12x1.25mm bolt and 00-on up use a 14x1.5mm bolt. So you an make it fit by redrilling the your spindle while you're at it to fit those 14mm bolts. "NOW YOU'RE PERMANENTLY GONNA HAVE TO GO WITH 5, 5.5, 6TH GEN BRAKES ASSEMBLIES FOREVER!" Amen!
it still can and has been done.
caped has 5.5 brakes on his 3rd gen.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 AM
STFU n00b!

drilling out two bolt holes is no big deal on a car this old. throw on some 5 or 6 gen calipers and rotors up front and call it a day.

Then again, just using good quality pads on stock brakes is more than 99% of people out there need. Even full-out race cars still use stock rotors and calipers. :shrug:
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have a set of 300z brake rotors for sale
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM

sorry if im still lost on this, but let me see if i have this right. 2nd threw 4th gen calipers will bolt up to my current spindle (89se) and can be used on a stock rim.

how much benifit is there to switching over to the calipers? does the car stop faster or can you use the brakes longer, more often ie track applications?

i a giant Noob to Maxima brakes and what benifits a gained from swapping different model parts around. on my mustang i know that they upgraded the brakes in the 87 year and it was good practice even at some dealers to upgrade the older 4 lug models (with pinto brakes) with the bigger stronger front brakes.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM

thanks guys, i'm looking more for info / specs about what will fit my maxima. mainly i need new rotors but i figure i might as well upgrade the calipers while i'm at it. because i'm not gettin gnice rims till i have clean looking brakes underneath. nice rims+rusty warped old rotors and calipers= dry heave.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
it still can and has been done.
caped has 5.5 brakes on his 3rd gen.
I didn't state that it couldn't be done! It's not a straight bolt on or swap there's some reaming or drilling involved on the spindle....If he ever sells it or trys to go back to an OEM 3rd gen brake setup shouldered bushings will be needed to fit those smaller 12x1.25 in those 14mm spindle bores...Did you read that correctly this time?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I didn't state that it couldn't be done! It's not a straight bolt on or swap there's some reaming or drilling involved on the spindle....If he ever sells it or trys to go back to an OEM 3rd gen brake setup shouldered bushings will be needed to fit those smaller 12x1.25 in those 14mm spindle bores...Did you read that correctly this time?
well you could just drill out and tap the holes on the oem torque members too tho, if you desired to revert to stock brakes, couldn't you? or would that compromise the integrity of the metal around the threaded holes by making it too thin? They looked beefy enough to me for that..
Old 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
well you could just drill out and tap the holes on the oem torque members too tho, if you desired to revert to stock brakes, couldn't you? or would that compromise the integrity of the metal around the threaded holes by making it too thin? They looked beefy enough to me for that..
Yeah that would work as well If someone wanted to switch but to stock Oem 11"ers! I'll more than likely cyro treat some 12.6"ers and upgrade as well on my 3rd gen it will be less headaches....when pertaining to braking!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
STFU n00b!

why worry about selling the car at this point? just leave the modified brakes on. it's not going to affect the sales price any, and both 3 and 5 gen brake parts sell for the same thing. so there's no real incentive to pull them off. just sell the car and move on. (It's not like you gotta worry about resale or anything!)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
why worry about selling the car at this point? just leave the modified brakes on. it's not going to affect the sales price any, and both 3 and 5 gen brake parts sell for the same thing. so there's no real incentive to pull them off. just sell the car and move on. (It's not like you gotta worry about resale or anything!)
well... as long as you tell the new owner about it.. wouldn't want them to go to the mechanic for new pads and rotors only to wonder how come the new stuff won't fit! I'd have to do that for my front and rear brakes, and my timing belt (94 round tooth vs 89-93 square). but yea if i ever had to sell my car, tho i don't see why i would, i would just leave the upgraded brakes on it and tell them to use 16"+ if they ever wanted to get different wheels for it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have a set of 300z brake rotors for sale
stock diameter or already milled down?
(not interested right now, just asking for others knowledge)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 AM
mod or sell?

I read it correctly the first time.
If someone is modifying their car, they are doing it because they plan on keeping the car. No one is modding a 3rd gen max to sell it, so boring the spindle is irrelevant. in most cases a 3rd gens next step is the scrap yard not Hot Import Nights gold medal winner.
Mod for yourself, not for others.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Then again, just using good quality pads on stock brakes is more than 99% of people out there need. Even full-out race cars still use stock rotors and calipers. :shrug:

I have to go with matt on this one, if you're not going to road race your baby, then there's no point in all this hassle. You could always step up one notch and throw on some Brembo slots.

I have 2 different set of rotors, Brembo Slots, and SP diamond slots. And I'm getting ready to put my brembos back on. They have LITERALLY saved me and my family's life twice. And I know for fact if I had stock brakes I would have been done for. 60 mph into the side of a full size truck and horse trailer would not have been pretty.

Or I'll sell off my SP diamond slots for cheap. I'm not too impressed with them. But all this work of trying to fit this, trying to fit that is just not worth it in my eyes for a driver.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM

alright so i just had an iidea for the rear brakes. if you get a pair of FRONT caliper mounting brackets and swap them for the rears, and get a pair of front rotors/calipers (froma jy/parts car, just get the rotors turned), i'm sure you could essentialy run front brakes on the back end. and then get w/e bb for the front. i'm gonna monkey around with this since i have cross drilled rotors on the front, so i all i'll need to get are a pair of mounting brackets and calipers form the jy. just thought i'd share this stupid idea.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

alright so i just had an iidea for the rear brakes. if you get a pair of FRONT caliper mounting brackets and swap them for the rears, and get a pair of front rotors/calipers (froma jy/parts car, just get the rotors turned), i'm sure you could essentialy run front brakes on the back end. and then get w/e bb for the front. i'm gonna monkey around with this since i have cross drilled rotors on the front, so i all i'll need to get are a pair of mounting brackets and calipers form the jy. just thought i'd share this stupid idea.
i hope you're kidding. PLEASE tell me you are kidding.

first off, do you have any idea how many people would die as a result of this? front brakes do the most work, the rears have to balance out properly. i forget the right ratio, i think it also depends on your car's weight bias, but you are supposed to have a LOT more front brakes than rear. so if you put front brakes on the rear, you're going to lock the back tires up EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU HIT THE PEDAL.

secondly, it's not even possible. there are no "caliper mounting brackets" in the front. it's all cast as part of the knuckle. which is good, because that will prevent you from doing something like this. the rears have an adapter, because the pads got bigger in 91, so they had to shrink the inner part and grow the outer part to make more room for pads. here's a pic of the fronts

oh and as for your first post, you shave 3mm off the outside diameter of the J30 brake rotor to get the J30 2piston calipers to fit around the rotors.

but honestly, do what matt said, use stock rotors and calipers, get good pads, and call it a day. at least until you understand how brakes work.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 03-11-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

DO NOT DO THIS
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
STFU n00b!

Stop trying to engineer your own brake system. IT takes lots of engineering experience and know-how, as well as a MUCH greater understanding of the car's dynamics. Going by your train of thought, you'll wind up killing yourself and possibly others. Look at the plethora of options already out there and choose among them. Many are very inexpensive to do and will provide much greater braking than you'll ever need on the street.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM

haha this is a joke... i actually thought it could be done but by the time i started writing it out i realised how stupid i was being. hence the stupid idea ting at the end of the post. i'm just gonna sit the next couple rounds out until i get a brain....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

lol. I know exactly where you are coming from. I have had quite a few hare-brained ideas in my life. I usually have someone to bounce ideas off of, before I publicly announce my insanity. not always, though...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

haha this is a joke... i actually thought it could be done but by the time i started writing it out i realised how stupid i was being. hence the stupid idea ting at the end of the post. i'm just gonna sit the next couple rounds out until i get a brain....
i stopped reading 2 lines in i assumed the 2nd half of the post would be worse, not better. well at least you're not serious about it.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM

haha oh brother... that was embarrasing
/end thread
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
STFU n00b!

... We all have those days sometimes....
I just UPS NDA'd the wrong size bolts and an electronics enclosure at work.. $350 wasted, and I needed to have the crap done today. won't be done till tomorrow now.. :doh:
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 PM

umm i know im probably going to get hated on and stuff like that for this question

what would i need if i wanted to get the z32 brakes all around? and would they fit? i have 16's on and the se 17's in my room
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by vgkid
umm i know im probably going to get hated on and stuff like that for this question

what would i need if i wanted to get the z32 brakes all around? and would they fit? i have 16's on and the se 17's in my room

a Z32.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

a Z32.

Originally Posted by vgkid

z32 calipers, custom brake lines from matt93se, and z32 rotors that jeff92se has for sale in the classifieds

dunno about the rears but the z31 setup is pretty good in the rear. if you do z32 you're going to have to find a way to get a drum-in-hat parking brake system on there. i don't know matt's kit applies to the 3g or not.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Just do whatever front bbk and the Z31 rotor/bracket upgrade. Why ice skate uphill if you don't have to?

The 4th and 5th gen guys WOULD KILL for an easy/cheap rear upgrade like 3-genners can do.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Just do whatever front bbk and the Z31 rotor/bracket upgrade. Why ice skate uphill if you don't have to?

The 4th and 5th gen guys WOULD KILL for an easy/cheap rear upgrade like 3-genners can do.

yea i was just thinking of doing that. im going to get the non turbo fronts from the 90 300zx and do the older disks on the back.

haha im glad i got me a 3rd gen

Quick Reply: Brakes!