3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Junk Yard Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Junk Yard Trip

So I went to the junk yard today because I figured out why my door lock problem came back. It wasn't a bad solder fixing the accuator under the dash. It was the switch at the door. So I went to the junk yard to finally find my first VE at a junk yard. automatic. I cliped all of the electrical connectors i neededm vtc, tps, cts...going to use a dremel and cut a small piece away to remove the wires and put new wires and connector pieces inside the harness. seal it up somehow. and then splice onto my car because my sensor harnesses are bad, i have to clean the tps harness every few months. So its nice to have spares now to make work. Anyways I grabbed a couple other stupid things I wanted for under the hood. unfortuneately they didnt have the coil packs, i wanted as extra. All 6 fuel injectors were in there. I wasn't tryin to spend much and i already have 2-3 good working spares otherwise i would of got the, not sure what they charge anyways for that.

The door switch I got worked. But this one the driver door window would not work, but the locks did . Luckily I was able to find the problem and do a quick solder and fixed the window issue, now it works beautifully.

this gxe I found had 3 very nice condition leather door panels, 1 was screwed up, from some idiot tryin to get to something faster. otherwise I would of bought those. I still can't find any decent stock fog lights. I got the mounting brackets from when I first bought my car but they do me no good without non cracked foglights.

I was very suprised to see a VE there. let alone how intact the motor still was. The front valve cover was off but that was it. and it was in the back seat didnt see anything missing. I almost wanted to take the vtcs, and rebuild those, so when mine go 100% bad i can swap those in, but didnt have the time or patience to dig into that.

Sorry for the ramble, just thought Id share my experience today and my findings, and fixing my stupid locks.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Your lucky to have 3rd generation Maxima's let alone VE's in local junk yards, there are NO 3rd gen Max's in junk yards around here. Our local salvage yard gives $275-400 for scrap and all end up there.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Governor
Your lucky to have 3rd generation Maxima's let alone VE's in local junk yards, there are NO 3rd gen Max's in junk yards around here. Our local salvage yard gives $275-400 for scrap and all end up there.

ya i guess so, theres a few more junk yards a bit further of a drive, but theres lots more maxima'. only reason why I like this junk yard i went to is because its the only 1 in the city, and you pull your own parts. I like to walk around and dig around in every maxima they have. Other junk yards that are further away from the city won't even let you walk into the wrecked car area. Some will but then they pull the part for you. and parts cost more that way.

I picked up:
oil cap
power steering cap
brake resevoir cap
windshield washer fluid cap
coolant resevoir cap
2 vtc harnesses
1 cts harness
1tps harness
1 door lock accuator(under dash) didn't even need it but I got it its for VE i notice the VE and VG were different at the junk yard.
1 driver door window/lock switch circuit board.
1 bolt to tighten alternator(i already replaced it once, may as well have one on hand

All for the steep price of $10
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hold on there sparky!

you can pop all the connectors out of the plastic harness plugs.. no need for cutting an resealing.

o and the door lock actuator is the part in the door where the lock rods attach. i think you mean the door lock timer unit (under the dash)?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

buy my crap
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
hold on there sparky!

you can pop all the connectors out of the plastic harness plugs.. no need for cutting an resealing.

o and the door lock actuator is the part in the door where the lock rods attach. i think you mean the door lock timer unit (under the dash)?
ya the timer. but I also got the circuit board for the driver door switches. but not that actual switches for it, just grabbed circuit board.

theres a real hard plastic broken seal which im talking about cutting off, from there i should be able to pull the wires out and put new connectors on them. I was thinking of using that black tube shrink wrap stuff and then wrapping them tight in electrical tape.