3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM

Blown head gasket

I found a 1990 Maxima for sale locally. Pearl white 5 speed with cloth and a sunroof for $400.00. Car has a blown headgasket. Over all looks to be in decent shape. What have you guys found with a blown head gasket. Is it just replace the gasket and resurface the head, or is there more damage. I just want some opinions of what other 3rd gen owners have found with this concern. I am thinking of this car for a DD.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 AM
LvR

Reason for blown gasket?

IMO the OEM 3rd gen cooling system is close to bullet-proof so maintenance/lubrication/misuse/external damage is likely.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
I found a 1990 Maxima for sale locally. Pearl white 5 speed with cloth and a sunroof for $400.00. Car has a blown headgasket. Over all looks to be in decent shape. What have you guys found with a blown head gasket. Is it just replace the gasket and resurface the head, or is there more damage. I just want some opinions of what other 3rd gen owners have found with this concern. I am thinking of this car for a DD.
Well it could be a poorly made gasket slapped on by the factor, could have over headed causing the head to warp. if the car is in other wise good shape you can pull a motor from the JY, eBay or where ever and throw it in. the block maybe OK, but it depends on how long they tried to drive on it and if the coolant got passed the rings into the pan. it should be salvageable. my brother civic blew one recently because it had previously over heated and it fared well. its going to be a PITA but its not hard.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
mod or sell?

who verified that the head gasket is blown?
it is not at all unusual for someone to say the car has a blown head gasket when in fact it is a totally different issue.

as LvR said, I don't recall ever hearing of a 3rd gen VG with a blown HG
Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

blah..2% chance it's a actual blown head gasket, 98% chance it's something else...
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM

What is common on the 3rd Gen to leak coolant? I am just going off what the owner says. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

cracked plastic on the radiator, loose hose clamps, broken coolant resivoir, missing resivoir hose...
may wanna ask him how his heat is. if it sucks, may indicate a bubble in the system, that gradually gets filled (may not be, but )
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 PM

What is common on the 3rd Gen to leak coolant? I am just going off what the owner says. Thanks for all the input.
I just replaced my radiator and water pump. Both were well over 6 years old. The 3rd gen coolant system is one of the better ones ive experienced with. I drove 9 hours straight through the mountain pass to other side of the state, with maybe 3 **** stops in between. And the temp needle never budged.

I don't think there is any real common problem with leaks or anything else with the cooling system. Most common problem ive seen on here is it not blowing warm air in the cabin, and the system needs bled of air.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Way out West

Could be a bad water pump. I haven't had a VG, but on my VE, the water pump was bad and bailing coolant. It would still drive fine and the temp would rise some, but not overheat.

There would be a small puddle of coolant on the ground when the car was parked. I had it fixed immediately when I bought it, though.

Still, for $400 if the car is in good shape, it would be worth it to get a JDM engine and swap it in. You would have a running, driving 5-speed 3rd gen for ~$1000, maybe less, depending on costs and labor skills.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Could be a bad water pump. I haven't had a VG, but on my VE, the water pump was bad and bailing coolant. It would still drive fine and the temp would rise some, but not overheat.

There would be a small puddle of coolant on the ground when the car was parked. I had it fixed immediately when I bought it, though.
I had the same experience with my VE, I bet it's the water pump. It cost me $500 or something to replace it at the dealership (actually the cheapest place to replace it after calling around, oddly enough).
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

does it run?
possible busted t-belt?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 AM

I am going to go look at the car in person. The owner says that after 5 minutes of driving it gets hot and leaks coolant. He was told by a shadetree mechanic that it was the headgasket. And it is a 91 Maxima not a 90, if that makes any difference. Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:42 AM

It could be a waterpump or a bad radiator. I just recently replaced my friend's radiator on his Sentra, it was doing the same thing. Best thing to do is look over it, and if it is the radiator replace it. btw, is everyone here running an aluminum radiator? Several years back, mine died and I replaced it with a copper one, no problems ever since.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
btw, is everyone here running an aluminum radiator? Several years back, mine died and I replaced it with a copper one, no problems ever since.
I still do run the orig aluminum core yes - my plastic top tank also expired (cracked) and due to the cost of spares locally, I had an aluminum top tank made up and permanently welded to the core - QED.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM

check the oil. if oil is milky then the head gasket is probably cracked. it sounds like the leak is elsewhere to me. If it only leaks once it gets hot after 5 minutes, sounds like the radiator is cracked to me. Mine had a crack, which is why I replaced it, and it would only leak once it got hot. as far as overheating, the thermostat could be bad too? sounds like the cooling system has been neglected.

check to see where its leaking, and what conditions it leaks. Does it leak cold just sitting there? only when warmed up? only when running? cold and running?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
check the oil. if oil is milky then the head gasket is probably cracked. it sounds like the leak is elsewhere to me. If it only leaks once it gets hot after 5 minutes, sounds like the radiator is cracked to me. Mine had a crack, which is why I replaced it, and it would only leak once it got hot. as far as overheating, the thermostat could be bad too? sounds like the cooling system has been neglected.

check to see where its leaking, and what conditions it leaks. Does it leak cold just sitting there? only when warmed up? only when running? cold and running?
T-Stat could be stuck due to the failing cooling system. Best bet is a replacement radiator and t-stat; if all else fails waterpump. I seriously doubt it's a headgasket issue, but we could all be wrong.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM

i can agree with you guys on this on the 3rd gen cooling system.

on the vg the reservior part that screws on was broke so the previous owner before me just tied it on with a wire tie.

well every once and a while the reservior whould rub on the compressor.
one day in the summer heat it took my car a long time for it to warm up.
and when it did the gauge was high...
almost all of the coolant was gone!

replaced it and she's fine
Old 03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by internetautomar
as LvR said, I don't recall ever hearing of a 3rd gen VG with a blown HG
buddy, heresmymind had like 4 blown headgaskets in a year or two.. lol I dont know how the hell he managed to but he also blew it on his subaru
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
buddy, heresmymind had like 4 blown headgaskets in a year or two.. lol I dont know how the hell he managed to but he also blew it on his subaru
driving around without coolant will do that.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Don't blame the gun for the murder committed - tell the whole story and give all the facts, then we can compare notes again.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by LvR
Don't blame the gun for the murder committed - tell the whole story and give all the facts, then we can compare notes again.
iirc he never fixed it. he just claimed to have fixed it. there was much out-the-*** talking from him, according to a trusted source.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM

The best way to verify if the car has a blown head gasket is a little machanical skills. If the oil is milky, and if there is a cloud of white smoke comming from your tail pipe, then you definetly know u have a blown head gasket! I would check everything out first. Just the other day, I was driving my 93 gxe down the road, and noticed a little steam coming from the engine. I immediately pulled over to discover that the top radiator hose had blown off. So I replaced the hose and clamps, filled it up with coolant, and no problems! But whenever I purchase a car, I always replace the water pump and the thermostat, because that is a sure way to loose your engine!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

this is funny i just came on here after seeing your post dont know if you went to see the car but i think i bought the car your talking about it was in daytona? .....thinking of swaping motors it def has a blown head gasget
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 PM

Look it over visually real good and perform a compression test of all 6 cylinders that won't lie to you! Check your fluids for mixing and run it to seem if it could be something like a stuck thermostat, bad hose, etc....
Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by jlcR
this is funny i just came on here after seeing your post dont know if you went to see the car but i think i bought the car your talking about it was in daytona? .....thinking of swaping motors it def has a blown head gasget
How did you determine that the head gasket was blown?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well the car was smoking when i got it low compession on some cylinders and so i swapped the motor with the same single cam for now runs go tho it was alot of work too

Last edited by jlcR; 04-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by jlcR
well the car was smoking when i got it low compession on some cylinders and so i swapped the motor with the same single cam for now runs go tho it was alot of work too
Good job. What did you pay for the engine?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea i payed about 250 for the motor so not bad came out cheap