3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear caliper problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Rear caliper problem

I was replacing my pads and rotors today when I ran into a problem with the rear passenger caliper. I can't get the piston to turn back into the bore. The piston turns and turns and turns but it doesn't go back at all. I finally gave up and put the old brakes back on that side to get it in the garage for the night. Is this a problem that can be fixed without buying a new caliper?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by gfnk357
I was replacing my pads and rotors today when I ran into a problem with the rear passenger caliper. I can't get the piston to turn back into the bore. The piston turns and turns and turns but it doesn't go back at all. I finally gave up and put the old brakes back on that side to get it in the garage for the night. Is this a problem that can be fixed without buying a new caliper?
if you know how to rebuild the caliper, you can take it apart and fix it, but likely you should just get a new caliper for that side. if going to the JY remember they changed designs between 90 and 91.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM

damn thats a pita. i'm guessing you were pushing really hard while turning it?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 PM

now u really don't wanna spend the money on tap & die kit....jus to go JY first as capy said if not then there's always new stuff available on the stores
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
mod or sell?

unless you have experience rebuilding a caliper with an integral e-brake, I would seriously recommend against it.
yes the rear calipers are $$ but MY safety is worth it. you may not give a dam about your own safety, but a vehicle is a lethal weapon and brakes are the only thing that keeps it from killing someone.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM

What is it about rear calipers that makes them so hard to do, in the FSM it looks pretty straightforward to me but I've never tried to fix one. I guess I was hoping the problem was that the piston came out too far from very worn pads and I just needed a way to get it in far enough to re-engage the threads. It's not a big deal for me to get a new caliper, I just like to save the money if I can fix it correctly myself.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by gfnk357
What is it about rear calipers that makes them so hard to do, in the FSM it looks pretty straightforward to me but I've never tried to fix one. I guess I was hoping the problem was that the piston came out too far from very worn pads and I just needed a way to get it in far enough to re-engage the threads. It's not a big deal for me to get a new caliper, I just like to save the money if I can fix it correctly myself.
cuz the rear calipers have all the ratchety crap inside them for the ebrake system. whereas, say, a camry has the drum-in-hat ebrake even when the rear brakes are disc brakes..., which means the rear calipers have the same hydraulic-only function as the fronts. but our rear calipers are hydraulic and mechanical, and there's an assload more parts inside them, so if you've never messed with one before, it's not as easy as rebuilding a front caliper.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM

thanks for the info, I went ahead and got a new caliper so if everything goes well I'll get it replaced tomorrow
Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem. Had a caliper that would not release. Changed Caliper for a new one. Installled new pads and could not bleed the new caliper. Turned out it was not the calipers either new or the old one, but a blocked Brake hose. It never crossed my mind!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Ramphal
I had the same problem. Had a caliper that would not release. Changed Caliper for a new one. Installled new pads and could not bleed the new caliper. Turned out it was not the calipers either new or the old one, but a blocked Brake hose. It never crossed my mind!
thats happened top me too
Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
cuz the rear calipers have all the ratchety crap inside them for the ebrake system. whereas, say, a camry has the drum-in-hat ebrake even when the rear brakes are disc brakes..., which means the rear calipers have the same hydraulic-only function as the fronts. but our rear calipers are hydraulic and mechanical, and there's an assload more parts inside them, so if you've never messed with one before, it's not as easy as rebuilding a front caliper.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM

well ive got a issue with my driver side rear caliper. When I replaced the brakes on the rear recently I noticed that the boot in the caliper was torn and there was brake fluid all over the rear tire rim on the car. Ive replaced the front caliper before but never the rear cause I dont know how to bleed the brakes, and its leaking a minute amout of fluid out of my brake resorvior onto the rear wheels which is giveing me kinda a reduced braking effiency.