3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new axle, new control arm. Now vibration under fast acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 PM

new axle, new control arm. Now vibration under fast acceleration

So my car ran fine and smooth until I replaced the control arm and driver axle. Im going to replace the passenger control arm next free day I have. So after getting the axle in and the control arm all bolted up, I took it for a test drive. If im just rolling around town I don't notice anything. But when I WOT from being stopped or from 5-15mph and then WOT I get this vibration in the front end. Almost seems like all of a sudden both my front tires are not balanced anymore. I pulled off both tires, inspected, I check all the bolts on my control arm/axle job. Everything looks fine.

I highly doubt an alignment would cause vibration like im having but i could be wrong. I was going to put the other control arm and then go get a new alignment.

Im taking it to my tire shop to have them rebalance my wheels here in about 15 minutes. Hopefully thats the problem, if not. I would appreciate any suggestions on finding my vibration in front end under acceleration.

thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I had the same problem last year with a reman d-side axle..Tried several brands, still the same thing. i figured it was due to my drop springs, so i just put my old axle back in, wobble was gone..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
I had the same problem last year with a reman d-side axle..Tried several brands, still the same thing. i figured it was due to my drop springs, so i just put my old axle back in, wobble was gone..
crusher103 experienced a similar problem with one of his axles a few months ago. i think it was the driver side one also. except he didn't put his new one in all the way which is why you made $50 off him
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
crusher103 experienced a similar problem with one of his axles a few months ago. i think it was the driver side one also. except he didn't put his new one in all the way which is why you made $50 off him
Heh, well i'm sure i had it in all the way, so idk what the problem was....sure was a pita trying out 3 different reman axles from all over town..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Greeny
Heh, well i'm sure i had it in all the way, so idk what the problem was....sure was a pita trying out 3 different reman axles from all over town..
his old axle was the vibratey one, then he tried to replace it himself but didn't get it all the way in, and his tranny spit it out a few days later. he said the vibration was fixed, but the splines got chewed to all hell and so did the diff
Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM

I just got back from the tire shop, they rebalanced all of my tires, weren't off by much they said. So thats eliminated as a cause.

I was able to go test drive on the freeway so now being able to get higher speeds and different gears etc.. It gets the vibration when in the higher rpms. It has more vibration to it at higher speeds than at lower, but not too much of a difference.

Im pretty sure axle is in all the way, I took a picture and posted it a few days ago, greeny and benstoked confirmed this for me on a thread i started. I got the axle from our fellow .org'r
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 PM

so whats a good known remanufactured driver drive shaft? Even though the vibration is little, it makes me paranoid something is going to fling off because it feels out of balance.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

I don't know, but I bought a new one (I don't think it's a reman) from EMPI for $95.00 - drivers side. I'll let you know if it vibrates next week when I install it.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:29 PM

I notice it makes a , "rough tick" sound at a certain spot while moving. the faster im rolling the faster the noise, and slower i move slower the noise. I was able to drive around behind my work today, along side a long brick wall so i could hear all the sounds easier.

I put it in the air again and took of the wheels to try to find wtf is going on. I had bricks behind rear tires, tranny in neutral and the e brake on. I would rotate the axle and the axle itself makes a screeching/whining type of noise. Its got to be a bad axle, what do you guys think?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Could you have installed it wrong? Did you follow the FSM to get the circular clip to properly mesh with the side gear, and test it by pulling the flange out?

Since your driving it on the highway though, I'm not sure if it could be 'half-installed' like that. Maybe someone can elaborate on this. Like, it should either fit or not fit right? Can the car still drive if it was improperly installed? That I don't know. Caped said it would chew it to death if it were improperly installed - and you would probably know instantly once you went on the highway.

If that's the case, maybe it really is bad axle - and you do have a warranty right.

[I don't think you have to be worried about something flying off. You have the wheel bearing nuts on proper so what's going to fly off, the control arms are torqued properly. The vibration your getting is probably very similar to mine. On the highway (when I was driving for the last 9 months), it really feels like something was going to fly off, but I took it in to a mechanic and he says even if the CV joint was to fail, nothing is going to fly off) If there were total failure of the shaft, the car probably wouldn't move anymore....but from what I've read, complete failure like that is not that common. Beleive me, I know what you are thinking about that vibration - it almost feels scary. Did you check the Gusset assembly before you put the new control arms on? Those didn't happen to be loose did they. Actually, forget that - because they weren't loose for you before you did the repair...]

One more thing to add, did you check FAST to make sure you have the right part No. for your VIN#. I remember there being 2 part no.'s.

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 04-04-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Maximaman1313, you say you got the axle from "our fellow .org'er" - is that internetautomart?

I bought a new aftermarket axle from him a couple years back and it caused a vibration/shudder. I ripped it out, spent $50 bucks getting my OEM axle rebuilt, and all the vibration problems went away. While he's got great prices, and he's a great guy, some of his products aren't all that high quality. I also had issues with his control arms (he reimbursed me in his defense) and ended up going with OEM
Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Could you have installed it wrong? Did you follow the FSM to get the circular clip to properly mesh with the side gear, and test it by pulling the flange out?

Since your driving it on the highway though, I'm not sure if it could be 'half-installed' like that. Maybe someone can elaborate on this. Like, it should either fit or not fit right? Can the car still drive if it was improperly installed? That I don't know. Caped said it would chew it to death if it were improperly installed - and you would probably know instantly once you went on the highway.

If that's the case, maybe it really is bad axle - and you do have a warranty right.

[I don't think you have to be worried about something flying off. You have the wheel bearing nuts on proper so what's going to fly off, the control arms are torqued properly. The vibration your getting is probably very similar to mine. On the highway (when I was driving for the last 9 months), it really feels like something was going to fly off, but I took it in to a mechanic and he says even if the CV joint was to fail, nothing is going to fly off) If there were total failure of the shaft, the car probably wouldn't move anymore....but from what I've read, complete failure like that is not that common. Beleive me, I know what you are thinking about that vibration - it almost feels scary. Did you check the Gusset assembly before you put the new control arms on? Those didn't happen to be loose did they. Actually, forget that - because they weren't loose for you before you did the repair...]

One more thing to add, did you check FAST to make sure you have the right part No. for your VIN#. I remember there being 2 part no.'s.

Ive never installed an axle before, but I tried to pull on it after i pushed it in and it wouldnt budge. I took a picture in a previous thread I started not too long before this one, and i was told it was in.

The vibration is kind of scary, its not so severe that im scared to drive it. But everytime Im accelerating I feel it and im thinking about it.

I didnt check the part number vs my VIN. Its a 92 se dohc auto w/o abs. Im pretty sure it was the right axle.

Originally Posted by James92SE
Maximaman1313, you say you got the axle from "our fellow .org'er" - is that internetautomart?

I bought a new aftermarket axle from him a couple years back and it caused a vibration/shudder. I ripped it out, spent $50 bucks getting my OEM axle rebuilt, and all the vibration problems went away. While he's got great prices, and he's a great guy, some of his products aren't all that high quality. I also had issues with his control arms (he reimbursed me in his defense) and ended up going with OEM
Unfortunately I already chucked my old axle being there was no core charge, so so much for having it rebuilt.

Ya I bought it from internetautomart. I've bought few things over the last few years from him with no problems. I've already messaged him about the problem and what it could be. He had said he has heard of cases where the axle had to be pulled out and reinstalled 90degrees from where it was removed. Im going to give this a shot and see if it helps any. Hopefully it works, this vibration is driving me crazy.

Last edited by maximaman1313; 04-05-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
mod or sell?

if rotating the axle doesn't help then I'll have to arrange for a replacement to be sent out
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if rotating the axle doesn't help then I'll have to arrange for a replacement to be sent out
well Im getting a bit faster at doing the axle . rotated it and nothing changed unfortunately. pm recieved, and pm sent. I appreciate the good business sir.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
mod or sell?

you should have a replacement by the end of the week.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you should have a replacement by the end of the week.
awesome! thanks man. weather is starting to look good here so hopefully won't be any delay to install when I get it.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:54 PM

My car has this same vibration issue, except only at high speeds! When im on the highway doing 70mph and above, there is a vibration on the drivers side . I dont know where its coming from. I thought it may have been the tie rod end, So I replaced the tie rod end along with a new gear bellow. After that, took it for a test drive, and it still vibrates past 70 miles per hour. I took a look at the cv joint and the inner boot is torn. I dont know what could be causing the vibration, ive had the tires balanced, and still no solution.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maxinout93
My car has this same vibration issue, except only at high speeds! When im on the highway doing 70mph and above, there is a vibration on the drivers side . I dont know where its coming from. I thought it may have been the tie rod end, So I replaced the tie rod end along with a new gear bellow. After that, took it for a test drive, and it still vibrates past 70 miles per hour. I took a look at the cv joint and the inner boot is torn. I dont know what could be causing the vibration, ive had the tires balanced, and still no solution.
how were they balanced?
a regular balancer will only determine if the weight is out of balance but won't detect a seperated cord. a road force balancer can detect such issues
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

FYI, with all due respect to Internetautomar, when looking for good axles and a decent price I would recommend Raxles.com. They are local to me down here in Gainesville, FL, but they seem to have a great product and a great reputation even on the Org. Check them out.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:03 PM

UPDATE!

The new replacement axle was on my door step as I got home from work. I just put it on and got back from a test drive. Working perfect now!!! Thank you Internetautomart for your awesome unbeatable customer service, and not to mention, best price Ive seen for axles. Sure first shot didn't work out, but the situation was taking care of very well and I'm very happy.

Thanks again for everyones help, and special thanks to Brian.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by maximaman1313
UPDATE!

The new replacement axle was on my door step as I got home from work. I just put it on and got back from a test drive. Working perfect now!!! Thank you Internetautomart for your awesome unbeatable customer service, and not to mention, best price Ive seen for axles. Sure first shot didn't work out, but the situation was taking care of very well and I'm very happy.

Thanks again for everyones help, and special thanks to Brian.
Cool! Brian is extremely helpful and very proactive taking care of customers. Glad the 2nd time was the charm!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Banned

Maximaman, was it necessary to remove the large 22mm castle nut for the lower ball joint..and then fully separate, when replacing the driver axle? I poped the tie rod off today, and managed to pull the knuckle to the side, and it didn't look good, the serrated part of the end of the axle looked like it was on an angle coming out....but I tapped the axle and it came out on a horrible angle.

Is the correct way to remove the knuckle all together and move it out of the way? What about when I put the new one back in. I read the manual, and according to them it says to separate the lower ball joint just to do the axle. Is this the reason? To avoid the angle.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Maximaman, was it necessary to remove the large 22mm castle nut for the lower ball joint..and then fully separate, when replacing the driver axle? I poped the tie rod off today, and managed to pull the knuckle to the side, and it didn't look good, the serrated part of the end of the axle looked like it was on an angle coming out....but I tapped the axle and it came out on a horrible angle.

Is the correct way to remove the knuckle all together and move it out of the way? What about when I put the new one back in. I read the manual, and according to them it says to separate the lower ball joint just to do the axle. Is this the reason? To avoid the angle.
you can undo the 3 nuts on the opposite end of the balljoint instead, easier than getting the balljoint stud to let go of the knuckle. i just turn the wheel (forget if i turn it toward or away from the axle i'm removing ) and angle the knuckle so the axle can come out of it.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 AM

If the inner boot is torn then you are either on your way to or already need a new axle. Once some dirt gets in there and mixes with the grease it will eventually tear your CV apart. Not to mention that most of the grase gets thrown out through the tear so the CV loses lubrication.

Since you already have some vibration I would say it's time for a new axle.

I can't speak for InternetAutomart's products, but I know I tried to use remans from AutoZone on my Acura and they were horrible. I also ended up spending the double the price cost from Raxles, but was very satisfied.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fflint_18
If the inner boot is torn then you are either on your way to or already need a new axle. Once some dirt gets in there and mixes with the grease it will eventually tear your CV apart. Not to mention that most of the grase gets thrown out through the tear so the CV loses lubrication.

Since you already have some vibration I would say it's time for a new axle.

I can't speak for InternetAutomart's products, but I know I tried to use remans from AutoZone on my Acura and they were horrible. I also ended up spending the double the price cost from Raxles, but was very satisfied.

Good Luck.
Idiotzone products are crap, as a rule...I do not recommend using them. Brian and rockauto.com are the two parts sources I use most often.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM

thanks alot for the information, i was about to go to autozone and get a cv joint, but not anymore!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM

thanks alot for the information, i was about to go to autozone and get a cv joint, but not anymore!
That's what the forum is all about. Helping each other and keeping you from makiing mistakes that we did.