3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing: Me vs FSM

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Timing: Me vs FSM

I feel like such a noob posting this. But, I need some feedback. I've set timing on a VG countless times. However....everytime I go to time one, it is NEVER done as directed in the factory service manual. I can never get it to work right.

What I mean is this. In the manual it states to set number one piston to top dead position on the compression stroke. This should be exactly where things are when installing a timing belt and all the marks line up at the crank and at the cams.

However, when re-installing the distributor, the manual says to align the mark at the tip of the distributor with the protruding mark right above it. However, if you do this and install the distributor, the rotor button does not face at the same position the FSM states it should. I have always had to arbitrarily position the distributor so that when it sets down into the head, it rotates into the position indicated in the manual and it is always in time.

So, what is the point in aligning the dot with the protrusion if you have to spin it to another position anyway in order to get it in proper time?

Am I doing it wrong or missing something...both? I would like some feedback on other's experience. Is the FSM just in error about lining up those marks on the end of the distributor?

Shoot, out of paranoia I even dismantled my distributor to see if someting got twisted or someone before me had taken it apart and re-assembled it wrong. Of course I found things can only go together in the distributor one way.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM
LvR

Works/worked here - Not sure exactly what you are on about.

The reason why the FSM says one should install the dissy in that condition is to ensure the rotor tip is closest/nearest every cylinders cap post during the whole of the ignition advance range.

The manual doesn't actually tell you what to do with the dissy body when installing, but imo it should have told you to make sure the slotted tab that contains the timing-locking bolt is also at its TDC position (rotated clockwise so the bolt's shank can still clamp the tab through the slot) before you stick the stem of the dissy into the hole.

Its possible to be a tooth/more out and still time the engine (make the timing light flash at spec) but you will/may be causing a lot of arcing (inside the cap between the rotor tip and cylinder posts) because of spark having to jump bigger distances ................... and in a worst case situation, you will/may experience misfiring/backfiring because of the rotor tip location being completely off under certain advance conditions

Because there is no possible gain to be had from doing this, I have not experimented to see how far off one can be before you start noticing symptoms on the VG, but I would say the dissy body orientation is rather critical during installation - especially if you are going to be running huge advances (non-FSM values)
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i know what you mean.. i just set the sucker in there so it lines up, like you have been doing, because when i put it in the 'right way' it never seemed to want to time right. the only thing i can think is that you are supposed to hold the disty body all the way to the left or all the way to the right when installing it, because depending how you hold it it could engage one tooth retarded i think. this happened to Goon and me when we were installing his motor into my car.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 AM

Place @ TDC of # 1 cyl.... mark #1 cyl on distrbtr and insert so that it's on the money and adjustable.....
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Well Caped, glad to know I'm not the only one. I suppose I'm just left wondering what the real purpose of that mark is on the gear of the distributor.