3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Broke timming belt I think What kind of damage is done

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by hadman
Well I figured if he just needs to get by for 5 months, what does he want with 2 ****boxes? lol. I figured 1 was plenty. And also he wouldn't have the hassle of having to deal with mechanics. Just cut the loss and move on.
depends what you've got invested in the car, both financially and emotionally. Some losses are harder to cut than others. If his maxima was "just a car", sure, he might not miss it, just get something to get him by, then when he's back on his feet, get something else 'nice and reliable'. For me, this was my first car, got it when I was 18. As long as I have the space to store the car, I'd never just cut it loose; it's not "just a car" to me. Even if I didn't have the level of mechanical ability that I have (ie, I could have the car ready for work on Monday morning if I were in his shoes) I would still try and figure something out to keep it instead of dumping it.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'm aware of that GREENY, I would do it by hand to minimized the already damaged valves since it's a interference engine. I hope he didn't damage anything else the rods and crank usually don't break or bend due to broken timing belts.
You posted your original post in assumption that he/she/whoever is going to spend many hours/lots-o-$$/ and trouble rebuilding the engine, what you don't realize is the majority of people in the 3rd gen forum and in general, do not have the time, tools, or knowledge to rebuild an engine. Also, their are other factors to consider, like the fact that 99% of the 3rd gens on the road today are sub 1K cars in value, pretty much easily replaceable beaters until they get a better job and have the means/$ to buy a better car. Definitely not the kind of car that people are dying to have to restore or for that matter, put much time/$/or effort to keep on the road..

In the end, imho, it's much more cost effective for the majority of the 3rd gen folks to just swap the busted engine out with a $2-300 j-yard engine, or just sell the car for parts. I really like what you have done to your project vg engine, looks nice, i'm sure you are proud of your work also. but try to understand that the general public could care less about these old junkers now..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Greeny
Definitely not the kind of car that people are dying to have to restore or for that matter, put much time/$/or effort to keep on the road...
I resemble that remark!!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:29 PM

GREENY...I never assumed diddly! I just made the statement of reducing his/her damages by rotating the crank with hand tools instead of the starter! Most of the time it's just some bent valves! But to each thier own...I never suggested to anyone to rebuild the entire engine, just what's damaged most of the time in this situation....so take a chill pill and relax... bro!!!! It's not mine nor your that's f**ked up.So enjoy.....
Old 04-18-2009, 05:30 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I resemble that remark!!
you are one of the exceptions..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

GREENY...I never assumed diddly! I just made the statement of reducing his/her damages by rotating the crank with hand tools instead of the starter! Most of the time it's just some bent valves! But to each thier own...I never suggested to anyone to rebuild the entire engine, just what's damaged most of the time in this situation....so take a chill pill and relax... bro!!!! It's not mine nor your that's f**ked up.So enjoy.....
but most people can't cost-effectively replace valves and stuff like that. I couldn't/wouldn't even do that.... and i halfway know what i'm doing! for most people, the most cost-effective way of getting that car back on the road is a JY engine.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:35 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lol, dude, you are the one posting with !!!!!!!!!!!111!!! after every sentence I'm perfectly relaxed

Now, if you didn't assume they were going to rebuild the engine, then why suggest they turn the engine by hand to reduce any further damage?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 PM

you are one of the exceptions..
That's what I tell myself in the mirror each day.

As for the back and forth between you and CMax, I think it could be easily resolved as follows:

(CMax) To original poster: If you are mechanically inclined to give it a shot try turning the crank by hand, you might prevent further engine damage if it hasn't already been damaged beyond repair.

(Greeny): failing that, either turn the key and follow my instructions, or have it towed to a facility where it can be inspected by a mech.

(Hadman): and if none of the above options appeal to you, make a deal for a cheap replacement with a used car lot with the provision that they pick up your old car, which will solve the problem of you having two cars in your apartment, save you time having to hunt down an engine, and save you money paying a mechanic, which in the end will likely cost the same as a cheap car once you add his labor to the cost of the engine itself.

Now you may all bow down to me. And begin...

Old 04-18-2009, 05:53 PM

That's what I tell myself in the mirror each day.

As for the back and forth between you and CMax, I think it could be easily resolved as follows:

(CMax) To original poster: If you are mechanically inclined to give it a shot try turning the crank by hand, you might prevent further engine damage if it hasn't already been damaged beyond repair.

(Greeny): failing that, either turn the key and follow my instructions, or have it towed to a facility where it can be inspected by a mech.

(Hadman): and if none of the above options appeal to you, make a deal for a cheap replacement with a used car lot with the provision that they pick up your old car, which will solve the problem of you having two cars in your apartment, save you time having to hunt down an engine, and save you money paying a mechanic, which in the end will likely cost the same as a cheap car once you add his labor to the cost of the engine itself.

Now you may all bow down to me. And begin...

sorry dude no bow down for you on this one.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 PM

You posted your original post in assumption that he/she/whoever is going to spend many hours/lots-o-$$/ and trouble rebuilding the engine, what you don't realize is the majority of people in the 3rd gen forum and in general, do not have the time, tools, or knowledge to rebuild an engine. Also, their are other factors to consider, like the fact that 99% of the 3rd gens on the road today are sub 1K cars in value, pretty much easily replaceable beaters until they get a better job and have the means/$ to buy a better car. Definitely not the kind of car that people are dying to have to restore or for that matter, put much time/$/or effort to keep on the road..

In the end, imho, it's much more cost effective for the majority of the 3rd gen folks to just swap the busted engine out with a $2-300 j-yard engine, or just sell the car for parts. I really like what you have done to your project vg engine, looks nice, i'm sure you are proud of your work also. but try to understand that the general public could care less about these old junkers now..
lol, dude, you are the one posting with !!!!!!!!!!!111!!! after every sentence I'm perfectly relaxed

Now, if you didn't assume they were going to rebuild the engine, then why suggest they turn the engine by hand to reduce any further damage?
GREENY, no hard feelings it just another day @ the office! But yeah....you're right, I luv too........................use those dots! LOL, You're firm but fair.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I resemble that remark!!
Dude I love your wheels. I'm jealous
Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Dude I love your wheels. I'm jealous
(Pardon the thread intrusion - have to respond)
Thanks. It's hard finding that unique set of 'drool' wheels. I know when I saw the first 3rd gen with G35 coupe wheels (I think it was on TripleGMax's car) and GRNMAXDMON I nearly died inside lol. They look sooo good. Had to find something unique of my own.

[/threadrape]
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 AM

(Pardon the thread intrusion - have to respond)
Thanks. It's hard finding that unique set of 'drool' wheels. I know when I saw the first 3rd gen with G35 coupe wheels (I think it was on TripleGMax's car) and GRNMAXDMON I nearly died inside lol. They look sooo good. Had to find something unique of my own.

[/threadrape]
why, thank you sir. now im looking for the 20' version of my wheels so that i can put them on my 4th gen.

now, back on topic so we can help the O/P on how to resolve his problem with his engine.

Last edited by GRNMAXDMON; 04-20-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 PM

IMHO Your best bet is to get a inexpensive used car that will get you to your job. The old Maxima can be engine swapped, if it has good paint, no rust problems, no tranny problems, etc. and you have the time (but you don't). If you have rust problems, sell it as a parts car or for scrap after one pass as as a pick and pull. Assuming you can park it off the street, don't have to pay for insurance, parking, etc. and get rid of it quickly -- I use craigslist.org for selling an old car and to look for used cars. List the problems to filter out those needing a reliable working car. Many church groups have used cars donated to them. Also impound yard are also another source.

I needed fuel injectors quickly, so had to pay $110 each. Two weeks later ebay has new JCEP injectors at $80. Example that in a time pinch, you're unlikely to get the best deal. Suing from another state is not very practical. Sank $1000 for belt, water pump, t-stat, hoses, belts, all fluids changed, filters, tranny cooler, brakes (I supplied the parts and fluids), $200 for two tires, $800 for a paint job, then new to area plus 6000 miles for $970 for 6 injectors. Paint job because paint was blistering (300 for paint and 500 for labor) and hoping car would last another 10 years. The former two are just normal cost of ownership.