3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Disabled fuel pump - still getting fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Disabled fuel pump - still getting fuel?

Im getting ready to pull my motor soon, and i go to disable the fuel pump (pulled the fuse with motor running) to suck the fuel lines dry. However this doesnt completely empty it out as i still have a considerable amount of gas in there since the motor will still turn over, and a nice gush of it spills out when i go to disconnect the lines in the engine bay

Now im thinking im either doing something wrong, which i dont see how since this has worked in the past.... i pull the fuse and starve it of fuel - car dies and never starts back up again

Maybe the fuel pump is bad? Its only about 2-3 years old though

Putting 2 and 2 together, maybe or maybe not this has something to do with my other long time problem which is cylinder 1 getting an excessive amount of fuel - I cranked the motor with the plugs out and splashes of fuel shot out of cyl 1 only, and periodically cyl 1 does not fire. The injector is still delivering fuel since the exhaust smells incredibly rich. Plug and coil are both fine

I was originally blaming a leaky/bad injector for my cyl 1 problem, but both issues above considered, thoughts?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i wouldn't be surprised if you just didn't start it enough times to drain the fuel. i would have been revving it when you pulled the fuse, that way it would have had the injectors wider open and would have run longer before stalling out.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i wouldn't be surprised if you just didn't start it enough times to drain the fuel. i would have been revving it when you pulled the fuse, that way it would have had the injectors wider open and would have run longer before stalling out.
sure and run lean and make it knock/ping...smart idea.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Maximan190
Im getting ready to pull my motor soon, and i go to disable the fuel pump (pulled the fuse with motor running) to suck the fuel lines dry. However this doesnt completely empty it out as i still have a considerable amount of gas in there since the motor will still turn over, and a nice gush of it spills out when i go to disconnect the lines in the engine bay

Now im thinking im either doing something wrong, which i dont see how since this has worked in the past.... i pull the fuse and starve it of fuel - car dies and never starts back up again

Maybe the fuel pump is bad? Its only about 2-3 years old though

Putting 2 and 2 together, maybe or maybe not this has something to do with my other long time problem which is cylinder 1 getting an excessive amount of fuel - I cranked the motor with the plugs out and splashes of fuel shot out of cyl 1 only, and periodically cyl 1 does not fire. The injector is still delivering fuel since the exhaust smells incredibly rich. Plug and coil are both fine

I was originally blaming a leaky/bad injector for my cyl 1 problem, but both issues above considered, thoughts?
usually after the car stalls you crank it a few more times and it'll fire for another sec or two. when you pull the fuse there is still some fuel in the line left so that's why you get some injector splashing.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DanNY
sure and run lean and make it knock/ping...smart idea.
i didn't mean hardcore revving, just enough to keep above 1500 for the 5 seconds that it stayed running. would that little amount of extra throttle, under no-load, be enough to still make it ping?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i didn't mean hardcore revving, just enough to keep above 1500 for the 5 seconds that it stayed running. would that little amount of extra throttle, under no-load, be enough to still make it ping?
what's the difference between "hardcore revving" and "revving"?
DON'T REV IT AT ALL.

X amount of fuel that's in the fuel line will be pulled into the engine. stepping on the gas will do nothing since the fuel pump is not running (fuse out). the residual pressure in the fuel line will feed the engine until the pressure drops below a threshold that can't push fuel into the engine anymore. the residual fuel is what OP sees or got sprayed with. additional cranking will attempt to reduce the pressure more.

with revving...all you're doing is causing it to go lean since you're adding air and not fuel. this might cause a ping or knock if the engine is running poorly to begin with.

following the FSM procedure and don't tell people these 1/2 baked procedures.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what's the difference between "hardcore revving" and "revving"?
DON'T REV IT AT ALL.

X amount of fuel that's in the fuel line will be pulled into the engine. stepping on the gas will do nothing since the fuel pump is not running (fuse out). the residual pressure in the fuel line will feed the engine until the pressure drops below a threshold that can't push fuel into the engine anymore. the residual fuel is what OP sees or got sprayed with. additional cranking will attempt to reduce the pressure more.

with revving...all you're doing is causing it to go lean since you're adding air and not fuel. this might cause a ping or knock if the engine is running poorly to begin with.

following the FSM procedure and don't tell people these 1/2 baked procedures.
i thought that more air going through the MAF would make the injector stay open longer per cycle (just like it would under pressure) thus releasing the residual fuel in larger quantities at a time.

i've never done it that way before, it was just an idea i had. but now i know not to try it. sorry to give bad info
Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM

I had this exact problem, minus the cylinder 1 issue almost a year ago.

I pulled fuel pump fuse while car was running. car died. and EVERYTIME I restarted it the car would fire up and run from anywhere from 30seconds to longer than a few minutes.

I still have no idea what caused so much fuel to continue flowing through the lines. After 1 hour. yes, 1 full hour, I finally said **** it and pulled the fuel line off the fuel filter and put a screw in it to plug it.

I have no clue why my motor would be able to run for minutes at a time with the fuel pump fuse pulled. It didnt run smoothly but it would run bouncing from 300-800 rpms for alot longer than it should.

good luck. im curious as to if you find anything out with your car thats giving you the issue.

wish I had usefull info for you
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i thought that more air going through the MAF would make the injector stay open longer per cycle (just like it would under pressure) thus releasing the residual fuel in larger quantities at a time.

i've never done it that way before, it was just an idea i had. but now i know not to try it. sorry to give bad info
normally it would...from adding more fuel from the pump and causing a vac (open up the regulator)..but you have no fuel pressure. injector can click wide open and nothing will happen.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by maximaman1313

I pulled fuel pump fuse while car was running. car died. and EVERYTIME I restarted it the car would fire up and run from anywhere from 30seconds to longer than a few minutes.

I still have no idea what caused so much fuel to continue flowing through the lines. After 1 hour. yes, 1 full hour, I finally said **** it and pulled the fuel line off the fuel filter and put a screw in it to plug it.

I have no clue why my motor would be able to run for minutes at a time with the fuel pump fuse pulled. It didnt run smoothly but it would run bouncing from 300-800 rpms for alot longer than it should.

good luck. im curious as to if you find anything out with your car thats giving you the issue.

it doesn't take much fuel to idle a motor.
also there's a lot of plumbing for the residual fuel to stay in.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM

This is sort of a stab in the dark as I have not really had any fuel line experience (yet), but could it be that fuel is leaking due to a siphon? Figure that the pump had created a vacuum in the tank and it will continue to drain? Or maybe the weight of the fuel in the tank being forced out of the tube?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

normally it would...from adding more fuel from the pump and causing a vac (open up the regulator)..but you have no fuel pressure. injector can click wide open and nothing will happen.
ok, makes sense now
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Obsession_92-94
This is sort of a stab in the dark as I have not really had any fuel line experience (yet), but could it be that fuel is leaking due to a siphon? Figure that the pump had created a vacuum in the tank and it will continue to drain? Or maybe the weight of the fuel in the tank being forced out of the tube?
yes it's very possible...but keep in mind there's going to be very minimal pressure behind it. so when you pull the hose off the filter or whatever it'll trickle out still but it's not like full force spray. i parked a car on a slant down hill and the fuel never stopped leaking out. gravity pull the fuel down to the engine.

when you pull the fuse you're basically reducing pressure in the line so it doesn't spray in your eye (been there done that).
Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM

^ What you described is exactly whats happening to me.. it keeps idling low and on the threshold of stalling

I see your points danNY, and the others for the input.. I will try to let it empty out as much as it can. I just thought i could have pointed a finger at my mistakes (if any), the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc

However my cylinder 1 misfire issue is still a mystery then
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

lazy injector or one w/ a bad connector?
it might be stuck open or sticky.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 PM

This is the procedure that I follow:

Remove FUSE.
START car.
Car DIES.
REMOVE fuel filter.
REPLACE fuel filter.
Replace FUSE.
START car.

I'm not sure why ya'll are trying to run the fuel system completely dry? It won't happen... you will leak fuel no matter how hard you try not to. The idea like Danny stated is to relieve pressure on the line not to completely empty it.

But who am I and what do I know, I'm just the 800lb gorilla in the room?...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM

lol 800 lb gorilla

Im disconnecting everything as im going to be pulling the motor... I just remember in the past i didnt have as much fuel spit out at me as i did in more recent times

ill keep the injectors that come on the JDM motor & probably have them spray tested so hopefully this problem will dissapear.. I hope it is the injector itself and not something ECU/wire related
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM

not very often do the ecu's go bad, but they can.

have you ohm'd the injector in question?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maximan190
lol 800 lb gorilla

Im disconnecting everything as im going to be pulling the motor... I just remember in the past i didnt have as much fuel spit out at me as i did in more recent times

ill keep the injectors that come on the JDM motor & probably have them spray tested so hopefully this problem will dissapear.. I hope it is the injector itself and not something ECU/wire related
Alot of fuel comes out. I did the procedure you guys said...run it first then remove fuse while running...then try to crank again...it did it the 2nd time but started for like 1 second the died, but like d-money said, there's residual in the pipes. Remove send & receive lines, fuel leaked out. I just lifted out the rail assy an hr ago, and lots of fuel started coming out of the pipes...enough to make a small puddle on the ground.

Oh, to the dude who recommended I replace the little fasteners, here's the spec for the 4 fuel rail bolts if you need to buy ahead of time:

M8X20 Socket Cap Coarse Incl. M8 Lock Washer & M8 Washer
Qty = 4

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 04-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Alot of fuel comes out. I did the procedure you guys said...run it first then remove fuse while running...then try to crank again...it did it the 2nd time but started for like 1 second the died, but like d-money said, there's residual in the pipes. Remove send & receive lines, fuel leaked out. I just lifted out the rail assy an hr ago, and lots of fuel started coming out of the pipes...enough to make a small puddle on the ground.

Oh, to the dude who recommended I replace the little fasteners, here's the spec for the 4 fuel rail bolts if you need to buy ahead of time:

M8X20 Socket Cap Coarse Incl. M8 Lock Washer & M8 Washer
Qty = 4
you could have plugged the rail inlet/outlet with your fingers to prevent further spillage. i often stuff a bolt in lines that i don't want leaking. did you unscrew your fuel cap too? sometimes i think that helps keep the fuel from leaking AS much. i heard the vapor pressure in the tank can will cause more spillage even after the pressure in the lines is basically gone.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-21-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM

Even if you had a faulty injector, i don't think that one (1) injector would keep the engine running four minutes..hours.. etc. Like Kringle mentioned, I always pull the fuse BEFORE starting the car, I don't know what all this talk about pulling the fuse while the car is running is aout, or if it even makes a difference?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

you could have plugged the rail inlet/outlet with your fingers to prevent further spillage. i often stuff a bolt in lines that i don't want leaking. did you unscrew your fuel cap too? sometimes i think that helps keep the fuel from leaking AS much. i heard the vapor pressure in the tank can will cause more spillage even after the pressure in the lines is basically gone.
I did the remove the gas cap thing, but I can't remember if I did it before or after I removed the fuse. Next time I should just leave it off maybe.

Reason I wanted to drain it all out into the puddle, was I was bringing it in the house....so I wanted it all to leak out. Same with the water hose for throttle body (hose under dual duct)..when I point it down, it seemed like it kept leaking coolant, point it up, it stopped. It was as if it would keep leaking all my coolant out how fast it was coming out.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM

I did the remove the gas cap thing, but I can't remember if I did it before or after I removed the fuse. Next time I should just leave it off maybe.

Reason I wanted to drain it all out into the puddle, was I was bringing it in the house....so I wanted it all to leak out. Same with the water hose for throttle body (hose under dual duct)..when I point it down, it seemed like it kept leaking coolant, point it up, it stopped. It was as if it would keep leaking all my coolant out how fast it was coming out.
Well I don't know about motors in the house... that's a garage/outdoors event in my mind... but I guess you can do what you like... but don't expect a 16 year old engine to "not" leak anything when you do....
Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

Really? I don't think bringing the fuel rail into your house is that risky.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Really? I don't think bringing the fuel rail into your house is that risky.
haha no he thought you were bringing the whole ENGINE inside
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 AM

haha no he thought you were bringing the whole ENGINE inside
lol yeah my bad... I was under the impression that you were pulling the engine in hopes of bringing the whole thing inside to work on...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Garf
Even if you had a faulty injector, i don't think that one (1) injector would keep the engine running four minutes..hours.. etc. Like Kringle mentioned, I always pull the fuse BEFORE starting the car, I don't know what all this talk about pulling the fuse while the car is running is aout, or if it even makes a difference?

his injector #1 issue is not related to the engine runnin after fuel fuse is pulled. it was a seperate issue the op also mentioned

I dont think it matters when you pull the fuse.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM

...I dont think it matters when you pull the fuse.
Are you sure? I always pull the fuse before starting the car and unscrew the gas cap and there's no pressure in the fuel lines, it just dribbles out like water from a hose that's turned off.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Garf
Are you sure? I always pull the fuse before starting the car and unscrew the gas cap and there's no pressure in the fuel lines, it just dribbles out like water from a hose that's turned off.
Im not 100% sure, but I have done it while car is running, and before i started the car(different instances of course), never noticed any difference or problems.

ive never thought to unscrew the gas cap, that could be why theres a bit more pressure on the lines
Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Hmmm, I've never done this running engine dry of fuel thing. Not on either of my Maxima's or the Honda. What's the point? Just to avoid spillage when taking the engine out?

If you're going for a 100% spill/leak free engine removal, could you cap the lines with those little clamps commonly used on brake lines or something?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when you pull the fuse you're basically reducing pressure in the line so it doesn't spray in your eye (been there done that).
There's nothing like the sting of fuel in the eye. I tried spray paint last week. It was painful as hell, and I screamed like a little girl, but still not quite the same as fuel.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
Hmmm, I've never done this running engine dry of fuel thing. Not on either of my Maxima's or the Honda. What's the point? Just to avoid spillage when taking the engine out?

If you're going for a 100% spill/leak free engine removal, could you cap the lines with those little clamps commonly used on brake lines or something?
out of 10 filter changes i MIGHT de pressurize the fuel line once.
but this was when gas was below 2 bucks. otherwise take it like a man.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by hadman
There's nothing like the sting of fuel in the eye. I tried spray paint last week. It was painful as hell, and I screamed like a little girl, but still not quite the same as fuel.
LOL...try brake cleaner. it's worse than gas.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I just pop the fuel line off and let her spray.. bunch of wussies..
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM

his injector #1 issue is not related to the engine runnin after fuel fuse is pulled. it was a seperate issue the op also mentioned

I dont think it matters when you pull the fuse.

oh ok, i thought i read someone saying that the reason it was still running was b/c 1 cyl was still firing.....

either way ohm the injector that is suspect of being faulty and if its out of spec (11-14 ohms resistance) replace.