3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 11:00 PM

Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Still new but in case your wondering

By the way cannot edit my profile but it's an SE not GXE
Old 11-21-2001, 11:01 PM

Couldn't put more than one in first post.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by MAXCAVE
Couldn't put more than one in first post.
Heres where the sound comes from
Old 11-21-2001, 11:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nice car. Do you have a bigger pic of it? It almost looks like my car... except it's got tints and rims

Is it lowered? What kind of wheel/rim combo you have there? I've always liked the 5-spoke look.
Old 11-22-2001, 12:01 AM
Neice Anne

Re: Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Still new but in case your wondering

By the way cannot edit my profile but it's an SE not GXE
Nice, but I don't think I've ever seen a Max that looks bad with clear corners, and if ya got enough money for rims, you prolly got enuf money for clear corners. Check out ebay, they're like $11 now!

Old 11-22-2001, 08:06 AM

Re: Re: Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Originally posted by Neice Anne

Nice, but I don't think I've ever seen a Max that looks bad with clear corners, and if ya got enough money for rims, you prolly got enuf money for clear corners. Check out ebay, they're like $11 now!
Your absolutely RIGHT
I have bid on corners over and over and over again, and I always lose at the last minute, or the price ends up to high. I also want white face gauges and front springs and struts (with the STB). Corners will be on B4 the end of the year for sure. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

MAXCAVE
Old 11-22-2001, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Bman
Nice car. Do you have a bigger pic of it? It almost looks like my car... except it's got tints and rims

Is it lowered? What kind of wheel/rim combo you have there? I've always liked the 5-spoke look.
It isn't lowered yet I do have alot more pics (bigger) I plan to drop the front end about 1.5" With eibach springs and new struts,

The wheels are 17" SWR's and the tires are Rage road huggers 245-35-17
93H.

Heres a little bigger PIC

MAXCAVE
Old 11-22-2001, 09:08 AM

click on the profile link at the top of the page and click on edit profile.

BTW, your SE has a chrome grill and no fogs I havent seen that color in a long time... The ride looks real nice man. very clean. Clear corners will kick bootie.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:33 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

nice ride man!!! BTW Eibachs only lower 1.2"....if you want 1.5" go with Suspension Tech springs!
Old 11-22-2001, 10:22 AM

MAXCAVE, where did you get your wheels from? I'm not familiar with SWR, is there a webpage somewhere I can look at them?

Oh, and my car isn't like that afterall, mine's silver... but it's close.

btw, your car looks pretty good even unlowered.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:29 AM

it looks good. what do you got under the hood and it is manual or auto
Old 11-22-2001, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
click on the profile link at the top of the page and click on edit profile.

BTW, your SE has a chrome grill and no fogs I havent seen that color in a long time... The ride looks real nice man. very clean. Clear corners will kick bootie.
Honestly the SE, GXE thing has me a little baffled. I read an article on another Maxima site that seems to clasify mine as being an SE "floater". It has the power seats, and the power roof. It also had factory alarm (no voice),keypads on both doors, and factory Bose system. Please correct me or give me more acurate tell tale signs. It has the 3.0 liter SOHC as well (VG30E). Very quick and responsive. Also, it's an automatic.
The website where I read about the floater thing is http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/ check it out (if you haven't already.

Take care

MAXCAVE
Old 11-22-2001, 09:49 PM

Honestly the SE, GXE thing has me a little baffled. I read an article on another Maxima site that seems to clasify mine as being an SE "floater". It has the power seats, and the power roof. It also had factory alarm (no voice),keypads on both doors, and factory Bose system. Please correct me or give me more acurate tell tale signs. It has the 3.0 liter SOHC as well (VG30E). Very quick and responsive. Also, it's an automatic.
The website where I read about the floater thing is http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/ check it out (if you haven't already.

Take care

MAXCAVE
I didnt know about the "floater" cars. Thats pretty interesting. I know that they stopped the voice warnings all together in 89. The keypad thing seems like a GXE option. But I do remember reading a maxima brochure from 89 and it hinted a third model- GXE SE and 4DSC. I know that it means 4 door sports car, but it referred to it as a model that had ABS between 89-91. I will dig up the picture somewhere. I guess some ways to see if your car is an one or the other are if you have the white faced or digital gauges, chrome trim around the windows, red or black center tail light piece, power trunk release, sonar suspension, rear drum brakes, third brake light in back window...etc. happy hunting.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI

I didnt know about the "floater" cars. Thats pretty interesting. I know that they stopped the voice warnings all together in 89. The keypad thing seems like a GXE option. But I do remember reading a maxima brochure from 89 and it hinted a third model- GXE SE and 4DSC. I know that it means 4 door sports car, but it referred to it as a model that had ABS between 89-91. I will dig up the picture somewhere. I guess some ways to see if your car is an one or the other are if you have the white faced or digital gauges, chrome trim around the windows, red or black center tail light piece, power trunk release, sonar suspension, rear drum brakes, third brake light in back window...etc. happy hunting.
Yeah, I thought the floater car thing was interesting too (just read it Monday). Lets see I do not have white face or digital gauges, no chrome around the windows, I have the red center tail light piece,Yes on the power trunk release (on the driver door, under armrest area), No sonar suspension,yes on rear drums, yes on third brake light (took out and added rear spoiler w/brake light). What does it all mean

Thanks for any help

MAXCAVE
Old 11-22-2001, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I thought the floater car thing was interesting too (just read it Monday). Lets see I do not have white face or digital gauges, no chrome around the windows, I have the red center tail light piece,Yes on the power trunk release (on the driver door, under armrest area), No sonar suspension,yes on rear drums, yes on third brake light (took out and added rear spoiler w/brake light). What does it all mean

Thanks for any help

MAXCAVE
Heres the info regarding the "FLOATER" cars if interested

Q: I've heard of some older Maximas called floaters. What are these?

A: Courtesy of Larry Slesigner:

Back in 1985 and 1986, when the Japanese were flooding the U.S. with cars, a backlash began to develop. American manufacturers were complaining loudly (remember Lee?), and Congress was talking about import restrictions. To avoid this, the Japanese agreed to voluntarily restrict imports to the U.S., with each manufacturer limited by their previous market share. At that time, Nissan was only building trucks in the U.S. For Nissan, this caused a problem. The Maxima and Z were hot sellers, and by February of '86, they had already used up their entire quota for the year. So the first thing they did was introduce the 1987's in March of '86 (as I type this I'm looking at a 1987 Maxima brochure - printing date 3/86). Of course, at the rate the cars were selling, they would have sold out their quota of '87's by the fall of '86. Enter "floaters" Because the Japanese are the world's largest exporter of motor vehicles, they have to build each model in many different configurations, to satisfy each country's rules and regulations. For some small markets, this is too costly. For instance, in the '70's Japanese cars sold in Canada had 5-MPH bumpers and catalysts, even though Canada didn't require them, because it was cheaper for the Japanese to give Canadians U.S.-spec cars than build them special. The same held true for a lot of other small markets, primarily Guam (a U.S. possession) and Panama. Those two markets received U.S.-spec cars first because they were small markets, and second (because of the strong U.S. military presence in both places) because a lot of the cars sold there wound up in the hands of servicemen who would want to bring them to the states once the tour of duty was over. Each Nissan distributor is an independent entity. Nissan verified their U.S. export numbers to the U.S. government by showing how many cars they had sold to the U.S. distributor. Now, thousands of U.S.-spec Maximas and Z's were sold to the Guam and Panama distributors. They in turn sold them to the U.S. distributor. As far as Nissan (and the U.S. government) was concerned, those cars went to the Guam and Panama markets. Of course, in reality, they never left the boat until they hit the U.S. Most of the paperwork was routed through Panama. The only problem was that the cars didn't have a U.S. warranty (just like gray-market cameras). No problem. Once the dealer received the cars, they purchased a U.S. warranty from Nissan for about $200. It reduced their profit on each car, but it's better to make a couple of hundred less on each car than to not have any cars to sell at all. The other thing missing was the Monroney sticker (U.S. required), so the dealers would have blanks printed, and type in the information themselves. The buyers never knew that they had bought a "floater", but the attitude was "no harm, no foul". Now you also know why there are so many '87's out there. The model year ran from 3/86 to 10/87.

How do you know if you own a "floater"?

Nissan continued the practice for a few years (Toyota did the same thing), until they were building enough Sentras in the U.S. to offset the imports. I only sold Nissans for a short time (made a lot of money, but despised the business), so I can only tell you about the '86's to '88's for sure. Because most of the Maximas were Panama cars, the first indication of a floater is that the car doesn't have the voice-warning system (Panamanians don't speak a lot of English, so Nissan just left it out). Also at that time there were only two models, the GXE and the SE. GXE's came with power seats, SE's with a power roof. If you have an SE with power seats, you have a floater. Third indication is the stereo system. U.S. cars had a power antenna override button, so that it could be shut off to prevent freeze-up in the winter. Because Guam and Panama don't get snow, there's no override button in the floaters. I'm not sure about post-88 floaters, but if you have a Maxima that differs slightly from the advertised specs and equipment, it's probably a floater. By the way, the '87's built in '86 have manual seat belts. Those build in '87 have automatic shoulder belts. I had completely forgotten about floaters until I recently picked up a very clean '87. I had sold a lot of them back then, and one of my friends who bought one from me still had his brochure. As I looked through the specs and equipment, I remembered how we used to talk about floaters at the dealership, and how many of them we sold. My '87 is a floater.

Hope you enjoyed you history lesson. I can just imagine how many of you are about to run out to the driveway or garage right now to examine your cars again, to try to find out if you have one.

MAXCAVE
Old 11-22-2001, 10:12 PM
Neice Anne

Re: Re: Re: Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Your absolutely RIGHT
I have bid on corners over and over and over again, and I always lose at the last minute, or the price ends up to high. I also want white face gauges and front springs and struts (with the STB). Corners will be on B4 the end of the year for sure. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

MAXCAVE

To get a good price, try auction sniping. Type in Auction Sniper on google.com or somethin, and it'll bid at the last possible second the price that you tell it to bid, so the other bidders won't know they have competition, eliminating bid offs.

Old 11-22-2001, 11:24 PM

MaxCave, are you the original owner of the car? If you ask me it sounds like you have a GXE that someone has altered to be like a SE. Everything you describe about your car options-wise sounds like a GXE. All SEs came with rear discs, a black rear centerpiece (89-91) and no keypad entry. Probably (whoever) removed the chrome trim around the windows and added a spoiler.

SEs should also have a dual-tip muffler (unless changed) and flat black side mirrors, even though those may have been painted over. If your interior is cloth, an SE steering wheel (and maybe shifter) will still be leather-wrapped. Oh yeah, and the lack of fogs or white guages too.

I hope this isn't disappointing for you, since your car is still very nice looking (and looks like a 92-94 SE from behind!). Your car is also just as fast as SEs of that year and it sounds like you're upgrading the handling dept anyway.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Bman
MaxCave, are you the original owner of the car? If you ask me it sounds like you have a GXE that someone has altered to be like a SE. Everything you describe about your car options-wise sounds like a GXE. All SEs came with rear discs, a black rear centerpiece (89-91) and no keypad entry. Probably (whoever) removed the chrome trim around the windows and added a spoiler.

SEs should also have a dual-tip muffler (unless changed) and flat black side mirrors, even though those may have been painted over. If your interior is cloth, an SE steering wheel (and maybe shifter) will still be leather-wrapped. Oh yeah, and the lack of fogs or white guages too.

I hope this isn't disappointing for you, since your car is still very nice looking (and looks like a 92-94 SE from behind!). Your car is also just as fast as SEs of that year and it sounds like you're upgrading the handling dept anyway.
I am not the original owner, but I added the wing, wheels, and just about everything not factory on the car. I bought it from an older lady and it was ALL factory. I added the wing and had it all repainted the original color (or real close). I think that is where the term floater comes in, it started out as one model, than was upgraded and changed at the factory before shipping to the other country it went to to accomidate their needs etc. I am in no way dissapointed the only reason I noted it is so nobody thought I was pretending it was one thing or the other. I am extremely satisfied with my MAX SE or GXE it doesn't matter to me. I was just hoping to get a definite answer one way or the other. Thanks for your input it puts a little more understanding as to what it is.

MAXCAVE
Old 11-23-2001, 09:33 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally a couple pics of my MAX

Originally posted by Neice Anne

To get a good price, try auction sniping. Type in Auction Sniper on google.com or somethin, and it'll bid at the last possible second the price that you tell it to bid, so the other bidders won't know they have competition, eliminating bid offs.
Hey Neice Anne, thanks for the info. I'm constantly getting p-o'd because someone is outbidding me on Ebay.