3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 AM

I have no power what so ever. I dont have dash lights or interior lights. the only thing that seems to work is the head lights(no brake or tail lights) and fuel pump. After swapping the interior I started the car and moved it to get ready for turbo/trans so it has something to do with either the harness or a bad ground maybe. heres a pic of the *extra* plug on the gxe car and harness. Any ideas if this is the problem? If it wasn't raining I probably would have already solved it. If I'm not getting dash lights or guages its a power supply somewhere and it probaby flow through this plug.

The extra plug is the smallest white one.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by blown-n-boosted
Straighten up that piping and get you a lip on there?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Just swapped harnesses and still the same symptoms. Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
Straighten up that piping and get you a lip on there?

well not the stillen one. the stillen one needs the stock lower lip of the bumper.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Just swapped harnesses and still the same symptoms. Any ideas anyone?
where's your battery? in the trunk?
is the hot wire grounding somewhere?
burnt fuseable links?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Yea the battery is in the trunck and if the pos. was grounding im sure I would've known by now.. By fuseable links are you talking about the skinny black box mounted on drivers inner fender or are they hiding somewhere? Guess I need to download the fsm. I am so close!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yea the battery is in the trunck and if the pos. was grounding im sure I would've known by now.. By fuseable links are you talking about the skinny black box mounted on drivers inner fender or are they hiding somewhere? Guess I need to download the fsm. I am so close!
how big is that wire from the battery in the trunk to the + terminal under the hood? the wire might be slightly cut and it might be arching when you're trying to start. at this point you need to check everything again. maybe bring the battery up to the front and throw some jumper cables to the terminals to the car from the battery on the ground.

the black skinny box and the rectangle box that was in front/next to the battery open them up and see if anything is burnt/broken/water logged.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
well not the stillen one. the stillen one needs the stock lower lip of the bumper.
Mine is the Stillen lip, actually I foresaw that issue ahead of time and measured/placed the intercooler perfectly so the bottom of the intercooler rests right were the lip of the bumper would be. The intercooler actually has three threaded holes on the bottom so the Stillen lip attaches there
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

fit ok for me
Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
fit ok for me
man i love your setup.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Engine bay fuse box and fuseable links are all good and have power. The fuse box inside the car has no power what so ever.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Engine bay fuse box and fuseable links are all good and have power. The fuse box inside the car has no power what so ever.
you tried to connect your battery to the stock battery lugs using jumper cables?

got a volt meter?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:01 PM

[quote=DanNY;7019875]fit ok for me

I want that same exact setup
Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 PM

did u check ur SMJ harness behind the interior fuse box...? theres two of them, one is instrument harness and other is engine room harness..check them again if they r not lose or cracked...

Last edited by burhan92SE; 05-07-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 PM

O.k. I found the problem. Ended up being one of the power leads thru the relay box. Everything seemed normal so I went to start it and the starter made like a quarter turn then binded. I don't know which starter I used.. Is there a difference between the auto and manual starter? If not I'm going to double check my timing in the morning and go from there I guess.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

O.k. I found the problem. Ended up being one of the power leads thru the relay box. Everything seemed normal so I went to start it and the starter made like a quarter turn then binded. I don't know which starter I used.. Is there a difference between the auto and manual starter? If not I'm going to double check my timing in the morning and go from there I guess.
ve manual and all vg starters are the same.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
ve manual and all vg starters are the same.
and VE auto uses the different one...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

make sure your battery is fully charged. I took a starter back because starter did what you described and they bench tested it, it was fine but they gave me new any ways. turns out my battery wasnt holding a charge and didnt have enough juice after sitting for a week to full kick the starter.

starter made a clunk almost wierd noise when i went to start it. as soon as i through a fresh battery in it fired up
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 AM

O.k. so first I checked my charge and its good so I pulled the starter. Starter is good. I then tried to hand crank the motor over and it bound up to the point it wouldn't move(36" breaker bar) so I pulled timing cover and crank pully to check the timing. Timing is good so I then pull all the spark plugs to see if anything was resting on any of the piston heads and there is nothing. I then try to hand crank it again and now it spins freely with no binding. I checked the spark plugs for damage from contact and they look good. I don't have a clue now.wtf. started raining AGAIN so I'm taking a break to ponder. Do you think maybe some surface rust on the cylinder walls? Its only been a week since the motor was running so I don't think anything could have built that quick. Any other Ideas? This car is starting to get on my nerves because its taking to much time. Keep an eye out in the classifieds because if its going to be something major im going to sell the turbo kit scrap the rest..seriously
Old 05-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

O.k. so first I checked my charge and its good so I pulled the starter. Starter is good. I then tried to hand crank the motor over and it bound up to the point it wouldn't move(36" breaker bar) so I pulled timing cover and crank pully to check the timing. Timing is good so I then pull all the spark plugs to see if anything was resting on any of the piston heads and there is nothing. I then try to hand crank it again and now it spins freely with no binding. I checked the spark plugs for damage from contact and they look good. I don't have a clue now.wtf. started raining AGAIN so I'm taking a break to ponder. Do you think maybe some surface rust on the cylinder walls? Its only been a week since the motor was running so I don't think anything could have built that quick. Any other Ideas? This car is starting to get on my nerves because its taking to much time. Keep an eye out in the classifieds because if its going to be something major im going to sell the turbo kit scrap the rest..seriously
i've experienced binding due to valves stuck open from rust, and with bits of hard debris lodgig between the piston and the flat part of the combustion chamber (quench pad or something is the name.... right?). have you tried a compression test since the problems started, just for shytes and giggles? and how confient are you in the distributor's proper positioning (not that it would cause binding)?
Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Wow if its not one thing its another. after hand turning the motor it must have freed itself up because I got it started Now I have 2 more problems that may be related.
1st is the fuel coming out of the exhaust and it wants to keep running when I turn the key off( no its not dieseling because it still has 12+). When in the off position all dash lights remain on and I can't remove the key. If I reset the car by pulling the neg from the battery I can hear a click and the key releases. If I turn the key back to the on position it locks on to the key again till being reset. Any more Ideas
Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Wow if its not one thing its another. after hand turning the motor it must have freed itself up because I got it started Now I have 2 more problems that may be related.
1st is the fuel coming out of the exhaust and it wants to keep running when I turn the key off( no its not dieseling because it still has 12+). When in the off position all dash lights remain on and I can't remove the key. If I reset the car by pulling the neg from the battery I can hear a click and the key releases. If I turn the key back to the on position it locks on to the key again till being reset. Any more Ideas
i suggest some red bull, a multimeter, and a copy of the FSM. cuz you might be looking for a funky wire for most of the day tomorrow. that or just swap out the room harness from the other car, that might work too, cept you might lose the keypad functionality.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Thats the one problem about these cars, everything is power lol thats the reason i got rid of my 87 because it had a short in the wiring somewhere and i couldnt figure it out....Good Luck my friend.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Well, the car you swapped all this into was an auto, right? Not being able to remove the key is exactly what autos do if you try to remove the key without putting the gear shift in park.

The problem has to be with the auto/manual conversion
Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 PM

dude i think its ur main harness...did u change the ECM to manual version one and how about the harness?....

Last edited by burhan92SE; 05-09-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Well, the car you swapped all this into was an auto, right? Not being able to remove the key is exactly what autos do if you try to remove the key without putting the gear shift in park.

The problem has to be with the auto/manual conversion
Shhhhhh dibs on the turbo setup!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 AM

With a auto I don't think you can turn the key to the off position if its not in p or n can you and if you do the car still turns off right. Mine goes all the way to off but all dash lights remain on like its in the on position and keeps running but sometimes it shuts off..Ecm, and ecm control harness are both from the manual car. After looking and checking things I found that #6 is not firing. It has spark and its soaked in gas but completely clean, the other 5 cylinders are black after only running for 5 min while 6 stays spotless. I did a compression check last night trying to figure out the fuel coming out of the tail pipeand #6 problem. compression was done without wot so I'm going to do it over today when I get some help. #6 has a low initial reading below 30# but maxed at 125# all other maxed at 145# and and had very high initial readings the lowest being 45# the lowest and a 90# at the highest. I think 6 might be gone and 4 is close behind. Today I'm going to redo the comp. test at wot and wet test the low ballers to see if the rings are shot. If dry and wet test have the same numbers I'll move to the leak down test, If there is a difference I'm pulling the motor and dropping in a A/B series vg30det with the 7.1 comp(i have 3 of them).. Well thats if I can figure out the ignition/wiring anyways. So hopefully someone can help me with the wiring so I don't have to scrap this biatch!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM

I guess I can try the auto ecm and harness if you guys think thats the problem.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

With a auto I don't think you can turn the key to the off position if its not in p or n can you and if you do the car still turns off right. Mine goes all the way to off but all dash lights remain on like its in the on position and keeps running but sometimes it shuts off..Ecm, and ecm control harness are both from the manual car. After looking and checking things I found that #6 is not firing. It has spark and its soaked in gas but completely clean, the other 5 cylinders are black after only running for 5 min while 6 stays spotless. I did a compression check last night trying to figure out the fuel coming out of the tail pipeand #6 problem. compression was done without wot so I'm going to do it over today when I get some help. #6 has a low initial reading below 30# but maxed at 125# all other maxed at 145# and and had very high initial readings the lowest being 45# the lowest and a 90# at the highest. I think 6 might be gone and 4 is close behind. Today I'm going to redo the comp. test at wot and wet test the low ballers to see if the rings are shot. If dry and wet test have the same numbers I'll move to the leak down test, If there is a difference I'm pulling the motor and dropping in a A/B series vg30det with the 7.1 comp(i have 3 of them).. Well thats if I can figure out the ignition/wiring anyways. So hopefully someone can help me with the wiring so I don't have to scrap this biatch!!!!!!!
without WOT it might be tough to tell if those numbers are right or not. and without extreme modification the DOHC VG won't fit under our hood. if you want to use another motor just put in another 9:1 VG30E.

as far as the key not coming out, there is a little brown 2-wire connector you can unplug to disable the electronic key lock (inside the steering column shell)... i didn't have to do that on nc90gxe's car when i did his 5spd swap but maybe his was already broken to begin with
Old 05-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Sorry I meant vg30et.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Sorry I meant vg30et.
hm. well either way, i has seen on here alot that people prefer the 9:1 VGE + turbo to a stock VGET (i think it was 7.8 or 8.3 depending on year from what i've seen.... dunno where you got 7.1 from)
Old 05-10-2009, 04:58 PM

Sorry I meant 7.8:1 lol. The stock 84 - 4/87 turbo motor. I pulled the brown plug and now I can take the key out but all the dash lights remain on until I reset the battery.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Sorry I meant 7.8:1 lol. The stock 84 - 4/87 turbo motor. I pulled the brown plug and now I can take the key out but all the dash lights remain on until I reset the battery.
hmm... maybe you've got a sticky ignition relay? swap out the relays on the side of the fuse panel inside the car with relays from the other car, or even just use jumper wires and a multimeter to see if those relays are hanging open after pulling them out.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
hmm... maybe you've got a sticky ignition relay? .
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Well it wasn't the ignition relay.lol
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well it wasn't the ignition relay.lol
internally shorted ignition switch maybe?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM

Ill swap ignitions tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

if your gonna use the VGET motor then i would use the ecu and get a wiring harnes from a 300zx or 2nd gen maxima. depending on the idle control depends on which ecu and harnes to get.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM

O.k. today we did a compression test and all cylinders were 180# - 190# so we are good there. As I was plugging back in the injector wires(spark plugs removed) no.6 injector starts spraying constantly until all fuel pressure was released. I then streched the plug over to the no.4 injector and plugged it in and it clicked on so I then knew it was in the wire and not the injector itself.I put the multi meter on it and it had full 12+ while all the others didn't(All this is happening while my ignition is still stuck on). So now I go and disconnect the battery to reset the ignition and the no.6 injector wire dies also. I turned the key to the acc position and the no.6 wire goes hot. Now I was feeling like I was on to something so I unplugged the ecu while the ignition was still on with 12+ and guess what. The no.6 was still hot, even with the computer unplugged. Now I go and look at the fsm and according the 94 edition the independant injector wires are a straight shot from injector and ecu. I now know that my 2 problems are related and I'm thinking it might have something to do with the 90se harness in the 94 gxe. Does anyone know of anybody that used a 90 se ecm and harness in a 94? I haven't been able to find a fsm for the 90 but I do know for a fact that the injector wire colors are different between the two so I'm wondering if the pin out is different. Any bright Ideas? I know "swap out the harness" but I'm going to do it tomorrow so I'm putting it out here for input. Anyone have a 90 fsm?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM

O.k. today we did a compression test and all cylinders were 180# - 190# so we are good there. As I was plugging back in the injector wires(spark plugs removed) no.6 injector starts spraying constantly until all fuel pressure was released. I then streched the plug over to the no.4 injector and plugged it in and it clicked on so I then knew it was in the wire and not the injector itself.I put the multi meter on it and it had full 12+ while all the others didn't(All this is happening while my ignition is still stuck on). So now I go and disconnect the battery to reset the ignition and the no.6 injector wire dies also. I turned the key to the acc position and the no.6 wire goes hot. Now I was feeling like I was on to something so I unplugged the ecu while the ignition was still on with 12+ and guess what. The no.6 was still hot, even with the computer unplugged. Now I go and look at the fsm and according the 94 edition the independant injector wires are a straight shot from injector and ecu. I now know that my 2 problems are related and I'm thinking it might have something to do with the 90se harness in the 94 gxe. Does anyone know of anybody that used a 90 se ecm and harness in a 94? I haven't been able to find a fsm for the 90 but I do know for a fact that the injector wire colors are different between the two so I'm wondering if the pin out is different. Any bright Ideas? I know "swap out the harness" but I'm going to do it tomorrow so I'm putting it out here for input. Anyone have a 90 fsm?
yeah, wiring will be different since one is 5speed and the other is for auto. just swap back in the auto harness back in and just bypass the neutral/safety switch and the car will turn on. also what injectors are you using again? from the 90 SE or from the 94 GXE? just swap your 94 GXE harness and ECU back into the car and just rewire the switch for the 5speed swap and your done.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen turbo build