3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tracking Down Misfire issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Tracking Down Misfire issues...

Car still has a slight misfire at idle. I dont feel much under load...but while holding the car around 2k siting there I can hear some popping in the exhaust. I have replaced the following...

1. Distributor Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires
2. Replaced all bad injectors all read within OHM Range.
3. Replaced Fuel Filter
4. Replaced IACV Valve
5. Replaced Coolant Temp Sensor.
6. Changed the oil and cleaned the air filter.
7. Replaced any cracked vacuum lines.
8. All Injector, and other major sensor harnesses have been cleaned of any corrosion.

Car has no codes, and passed O2 Sensor Test.

MAF Voltage readings are within spec of FSM Manual stated requirements.

I'm boggled as to what it might be. I am begining to wonder if its something else like an exhaust leak that is causing the sputtering sound...but the motor does die down when the misfire happens so I have not looked into that.

Only thing I have noticed which I cant imagine would cause a misfire is the TPS. Its acting up sometimes and causing a fluctuating Idle. If I smack it with a screw drive end it clears the idle right back up.

I watched the Youtube video on Misfire tips already
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 PM

did u check your timing?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Havent checked the timing yet, Gotta either break down and buy a light or borrow my buddies.

I am also thinking about a possible slight air leak maybe, wondering if my gaskets got a good seal when I changed the injectors.

Isnt there something I can use to create smoke (other then fire) around the intake manifold and watch to see if it sucks the smoke in?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 PM

buy some throttle body cleaner and spray around on the intake manifold and see if u see any bubble anywhere....start the engine tho...u can spray on almost every vacuum hose...wen u will get close to the leak ur engine will stall and if u spray right into the big leak engine will stop...

Last edited by burhan92SE; 06-26-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Agh this car is driving me nuts! I think I need to replace my TPS sensor, I can loosen it move it all around and sometimes it will increase the idle other times it doesn't. I think that may help with my occasional hunting issue..

The car is sitting there...idling at 700 no problems (just the sounds of a faint misfire) then all the sudden car drops to 400rpms, then revs itself up to 1200 then it settles back to 700 and repeats on its own. When it does this is actually sounds like it drops a cyl or more.
However give her some gas when this happens and instant responsiviness with no hiccups.
Car drives fine down the road....its only doing this at Idle.....

OH BTW I tried the throttle body cleaner, no bubbles or extra dieing down. Its actually really hard to tell because the car seems to always do it when I spray somewhere...but never the same place twice.

I still think its an air leak somewhere or something though..because if I let the car idle and the fans kick on then it starts stumbling and eventually dies as though extra air they are pushing is getting sucked in somewhere.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM

dont move ur TPS around....it has a adjustment which needs to be done and u gotta do that first...if u have fsm its in there how to adjust it...its very easy all u need is a multimeter....also, did u clean ur maf?

u also need to do a compression test to see if ur cylinders r within specs..
Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 AM

Borrow a timing since U don't have one and check the firing of each cylinder...watch the emitted light output pulses for misses and narrow it down to a particular cylinder or get a test tachometer and a piece of paper and pull the spark plug ( one @ a time) and record the RPM drop per cylinder. The one with the less amount is your troubled cylinder. Now figure out if it's... air, fuel or ignition! Be sure to spray your intake tract with parts cleaner to find any obvious air leak as well. If you think it's an injector I would run a complete tank of gas and cleaner thru the fuel system...cause you know it's not like you can simply pull the injectors out and swap them in 5 minutes. GL
Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 PM

I'll take a look at those Items...thanks for the heads up on the TPS I found that part in the manual.

I'll post my results back within the next day or two.