3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cheap Pop Chargers.....get them here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2000, 12:10 PM

Today I ordered a brand new K&N Cone Intake (not drop-in) for $86! These work just as well as the JWT pop chargers and the Stillen pop charger(I've heard).
I am not sure of how many they have and if they just gave ME a really good price but it's worth a try. sales@motorsportwareshouse.com
That's their e-mail address so if you are in the market for a pop charger give them a shout.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you guys.

Laterz,
Roman
Old 11-06-2000, 03:03 PM

Is that with the tubing and the filter. I know near me I can make my intake into a cool air for just $30. Thats all the filters cost. I dont think its even worth it though for that. They look a lot nicer but dont have any great gains in performance. I changed my intake over to a ram-air stle for like $20. It works awsome and I can definitely feel a big difference. Esspecially now that its starting to get cold.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-06-2000, 04:23 PM

chris do you have any writes up on that cai?
Old 11-06-2000, 05:28 PM

No I dont have any write ups but I can explain how it was done. I relocated my battery in the trunk, removed the charcoal canister, and ran a intake box under the front drivers side of the car where the battery was. It catches air under the car and forces air in the intake. I'm not sure how it works in the rain, cause it might be kinda risky. Hopefully it will be alright.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 11-07-2000, 08:58 AM

can you explain the ram air setup?
Old 11-07-2000, 10:49 AM
Greyboy

Chris

Wow! That's a lot of rewiring to put the battery in the trunk, did you just run a - & + back to where the battery was or did you reroute all the wires back to the battery?

Old 11-07-2000, 12:41 PM

To relocate the battery to the trunk I just disconnected the 2g amp wire that was run in the trunk. I added a battery terminal to it in the trunk and just used the amp wire for my possitive battery wire. Then I just relocated a groung wire in the trunk. It was really easy since I already had the amp wire run to the trunk. With the battery in the trunk it's a lot easier to run all of your stereo and amp wires. As for the ram air, I bought a heat duct dox from lowes. It is a rectangular box that converts to a pipe fitting at the back. I mounted this box right beside the drivers side foglight. Then I ran an elbow from the box towards the throttle body. I had to custome the MAS so I could use it in the steup. All I did was relocate the mass air sensor right after the throttle body, and then run an alluminum pipe from there down to the heat duct box. It was a little tricky to hook up all of the stock sensors and hoses to the new intake but after I figured it out it worked great. It looks like the ram air box's made for mustangs but mine is not as noticable. I'll try to get some pics up of it. I'm sorry if it's hard to understand how I described it.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom ram-air intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 11-07-2000, 12:56 PM
Greyboy

Ingenious!

That's a great idea. I was looking at doing the same thing with the duct stuff, but I thought that there wouldn't enough room for it so I didn't do anything. I'm printing that out and I'm gonna try it with my Max.

Old 11-07-2000, 01:21 PM

You need to also take out the charcoal canister. With the battery in the trunk you can just relocate it where the battery used to be or just take it out completely like I did. If you take it out completely there are a few hoses that connected to the charcoal canister that need to be blocked up. If you dont put a plug in them you will have a vacuum leak and that will give you a terrible idle. Its no problem to fix though, just let me know if you have any problems or need to know the parts and more info.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 11-07-2000, 04:34 PM

Well, I installed a "homemade" ram air setup. I cut the air inlet off that connects to the air box. Then I took rv sewer hose and and routed it through the headlight frame of which i had to cut a little to fit the hose through to the bottom of the car and mounted it to a tow hook at the bottom of the car. I noticed a acceleraton gain and maybe a slight horsepower increase. Definetly worth the trouble though, I can feel the car sucking the air in from the bottom of the car!